Pages: 1

tsm
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/11
Send PM

Sente Moonquake
#263230 - 08/28/11 11:20 PM

Hi,

what things are missing to get the Sente Moonquake driver working in MAME? Are there undumped ROMs/MCUs used on the board? Does someone have more information on this one (I found some pictures at atarigames.com)? I would even donate some money if someone gets this thing working.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Sente Moonquake new [Re: tsm]
#263231 - 08/28/11 11:45 PM

http://mamedev.org/devwiki/index.php/GNW#mquake
That's the official word - unknown encryption.

That said, it may simply be a matter of someone who is knowledgeable about Amiga internals to give it a go with a current codebase. Back when this was added MAME was missing or had poor implementation of a lot of devices related. I honestly don't think anyone has looked at it deeply beyond the initial attempts.

tsm
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Sente Moonquake new [Re: Tafoid]
#263240 - 08/29/11 12:44 AM

Honestly I doubt Amiga knowledge (I have some, though I'm not an expert) will really help much as I think the encryption is done in hardware than in software. I'm wondering what the chips on the left side of the ROM board do or contain, especially the one that looks like an EPROM (or programmable MCU?)?
http://www.atarigames.com/moonquake2.jpg
Who did dump the ROMs, maybe he can help?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Sente Moonquake new [Re: Tafoid]
#263298 - 08/29/11 05:10 PM

> http://mamedev.org/devwiki/index.php/GNW#mquake
> That's the official word - unknown encryption.
>
> That said, it may simply be a matter of someone who is knowledgeable about Amiga
> internals to give it a go with a current codebase. Back when this was added MAME was
> missing or had poor implementation of a lot of devices related. I honestly don't
> think anyone has looked at it deeply beyond the initial attempts.

It's not the Amiga internals, it's the part where the ROMs are encrypted. The code/data is gibberish outside of the startup tests, and the ROMs were dumped multiple times on multiple readers with matching results.

tsm
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Sente Moonquake new [Re: R. Belmont]
#263379 - 08/30/11 12:22 PM

> It's not the Amiga internals, it's the part where the ROMs are encrypted. The
> code/data is gibberish outside of the startup tests, and the ROMs were dumped
> multiple times on multiple readers with matching results.

Yes, Kickstart does only check $f00000 for $1111 and if it finds that jumps to $f00002, so it's only the ROM code that matters. I did a quick check of the disassembly, but didn't find anything in initializing that say descrambles the encrypted code to ram and jumps into it or something like that. It must be something outside the ROMs which does the descrambling, which would also explain that the rom dumps are fine. Additionally, the internal rom crc check works with the encrypted rom at $300000, so maybe there's some address descrambling (+other descrambling) happening at $f00000, so the memory there isn't a direct copy of the encrypted roms like at $300000 but the unencrypted version. As I said in my other post it would be interesting if someone finds out what the left 4 chips on the rom board do.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#263400 - 08/30/11 03:51 PM

> As I said in my other post it would be
> interesting if someone finds out what the left 4 chips on the rom board do.

If there only was a much better picture...

- Stiletto

asman
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/28/11
Send PM

#269757 - 11/28/11 10:50 AM

Hi,

I'm new. I want to solve this problem with encryption of MoonQuake.

I found Howard Dellman and I ask about encryption in this game. He said that he have no memory of using any sort of encryption to protect the code. However, in the back of his mind there is a vague recollection of some hardware on the additional board to validate the code in order to prevent others from writing for the hardware.

Then I track Roger Hector and he said that he do not remember those details about the game

I found also Edward Rotberg but he said that he left the company in 1986.

I found also programmer ( I think ) on http://www.cgexpo.com/bios/rsmith.htm but I have no email to ask him.

And I found also another programmer: Dennis Koble but I have no email ( I don't have premium account in linked in). If someone have premium account in linked in and can help then please PM me.

In short, mean nothing to help to solve this puzzle.

I did look deeper into rom.
First there is no byte $ff from $f03c3e to the end (strange). Is there any encryption method which don't uses $ff byte (I know it's a bit strange question ) ?

Blocks of data are repeated (from $f03ce to the end )
Unique data are in following:
$f40000, $200 bytes of lenght,
$f80000, $20090 bytes of lenght. Perhaps game start from this address ???

There is also strange block of code at $f03770 - $f0382c.

Perhaps data are not encrypted but packed ???

From my point of view important question is: Is there other dump of this game ?

Regards
asman

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 309 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2717