MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

We've all been here...
#262559 - 08/20/11 05:31 AM

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-guy-whos-fixing-your-computer-hates-you/

"Jims shit" image at the end had me in tears

Jdurgi
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: NEW England, CT
Send PM

Re: We've all been here... new [Re: italie]
#262562 - 08/20/11 06:02 AM

> http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-guy-whos-fixing-your-computer-hates-you/
>
> "Jims shit" image at the end had me in tears

My god. That's like a description of one month's worth of phone calls from my father. The man puts so much spyware/adware/virii/crap programs on his computer I'm amazed and frightened that he has worked on a nuclear reactor before.

--------------------------------------------------
I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#262563 - 08/20/11 06:06 AM Attachment: too_many_toolbars.jpg 168 KB (2 downloads)

> http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-guy-whos-fixing-your-computer-hates-you/
>

Still laughing at the "looking through a knight's helmet" bit and the toolbar screenshot:

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#262575 - 08/20/11 09:51 AM

>

I work on this, no surprises here but enjoyed the humor. I recently had to upgrade Internet Explorer because some of the toolbars covering half the (maximized) window screen corrupted the settings. I loved the answer when I asked about them. "They were not there before" she said. Yeah, right.

A tip: before wiping someone else's computer make a backup with DriveImage XML on an external drive and return the compressed image when you finish. This way if anything gets missing you can easily recover it via remote assistance and prevent your client from executing a trojan while browsing their backup folder. Before that and if there's enough disk space, make a 10GB hidden partition (no drive letter assigned) and backup your work so you don't waste yet another 5 hours or more in the process next time.

Orc
A Motivated, Liquidated Nightmare..... Like A Baby With A Laser On A Rocking Chair
Loc: Dorset, UK
Send PM

Re: We've all been here... new [Re: Sune]
#262576 - 08/20/11 10:39 AM

Mother in laws one looks like that.......

I gave up trying to explain and just slapped her.....

This is what happens when cabby no fitty through door...
http://orc.mameworld.info

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

#262579 - 08/20/11 03:14 PM

>

I pretty much do that as my day job - especially when the old arse-head of a headmaster decided it would be a good idea to run a 'laptops for students' scheme, which is thankfully winding down now
We've been thinking about advertising my services as a computer guy in the local shops etc for a while but these kind of horror stories about people calling you back and accusing you of random stuff holds me back
Maybe everyone SHOULD have Macs...

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

#262580 - 08/20/11 03:28 PM

I got a nice dose of #1 from my mother when I reinstalled Windows a while back.

me - "Have you backed up everything important?"
her - "Yes."
me- "Everything? Once I start, there's no going back. Everything is gone."
her - "It's all backed up."

A few days later...

her - "I can't find my old tax information."
me - "You backed it up, didn't you?"
her - "Yeah, but when I tried to copy it back to my computer it wasn't there."
me - "What did you back up exactly?"
her - "Those icons on the desktop."
me - "You mean the TurboTax shortcuts?"

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#262582 - 08/20/11 05:29 PM

>

We had an IBM workstation quit working a few weeks back (most likely a blown or overheated motherboard). I called tech support to have them send a replacement. I wanted to swap the hard-drives but nobody told me they had received the replacement until my shift was over that morning and I was already dead tired from being up all night. So I figured I'll just take care of it when I come back tonight instead of sticking around here, waiting on hold God knows how long for tech support to dial-in and configure everything and (me) getting overtime again (which made the boss flip out the week before). Later that day they picked it up. I didn't get to swap the hard-drives. >:-[ Ticked me off - big time! I do have back-ups of some documents, and wordpad files but they weren't updated (I know, stupid).

Anyway. I hooked up the replacement workstation/tower and the new lady that works there was going on about how I must be a "genius". And I remarked about "yeah, connect the blue cable to the blue port, pink to pink, green to green,..." then shrugged my shoulders.

A good number of people that are acquainted with me think I'm "good with computers", but I know enough about computers to know that I don't know enough about computers.

LEVEL-4

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#262591 - 08/20/11 07:10 PM

>

Amen to that.

#5 has given rise to my rule that if I can't fix it in 15 minutes, I have to "take it into my shop" to finish fixing it. At least then I can sit and play Super Metroid on an emulator while I'm waiting 4 hours for all of the scanners to finish running.

I also assume that people are too dumb to find and properly back up their data and make an image of the hard drive before I do a wipe and reinstall. I manually restore all of the obvious data, and I hang on to the image for about 3 months so I can deal with the "What happened to my...?" questions.

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

#262594 - 08/20/11 07:19 PM

My mom plays on her computer all day. She keeps up to date on an insane number of sites. She's a Redditor and a regular contributor over there. She's a member of lots of forums on many different topics and is well respected on a couple of them. (Caregiver sites, she gives great advice to panicky newbies.) She keeps her drivers and software up to date. She installs her own hardware and only needs me when the setup is fucking RIDICULOUS. (I'm looking at YOU, printer and scanner people...)

She also turns into a simpleton when I'm trying to talk to her on the phone.

"Okay, click on the drop-down and tell me what it says."
"The what?"
"Drop down. The drop-down menu."
"..."
"Got it yet?"
"No. The drop-down?"
"Yes, drop-down. It's a little button that usually looks kind of like a down arrow that makes a little list 'drop down' when you click on it."
"Um..."
"Okay, you know how you like to change the font style and colors when you're writing email? That thing that you click on to do that is a drop-down. It shows a little list when you click on it. There should be a little drop-down where it says 'Preferences' on that page. Let me know when you find it."
"Um... Oh, shit."
"What???"
"I clicked on the 'Back' button and now it's saying something."
*silent-teeth-grind* "A pop-up window?"
"Yes"
"Okay, no problem. What does it say?"
"I don't know, I clicked on 'OK' and it went away. And now I'm back on the login page? Why am I back there??"
*sob*

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Re: We've all been here... new [Re: DMala]
#262596 - 08/20/11 07:32 PM

> > http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-guy-whos-fixing-your-computer-hates-you/
> >
> > "Jims shit" image at the end had me in tears
>
> Amen to that.
>
> #5 has given rise to my rule that if I can't fix it in 15 minutes, I have to "take it
> into my shop" to finish fixing it. At least then I can sit and play Super Metroid on
> an emulator while I'm waiting 4 hours for all of the scanners to finish running.
>

Personally I always run a chkdsk /r before anything else - there's been too many times I've spent hours fighting malware only to find that the system's still running slow because of the 1024 bad sectors on the HD! Doh!

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#262627 - 08/21/11 05:27 AM

>

or, why I'm pretty much not "The Friend Who is Good With Computers" any more.

When I was young and naive, I helped anyone I knew or even met.

Then it was anyone for a fee...

Then it was any close friend or family...

Then any close friend for a fee...

Now it's pretty much immediate family only and some days that's not looking so hot

... also, the "Okay, Swordfish" comment after the "Jim's Shit" image totally had me rolling...

- Stiletto

Edited by Stiletto (08/21/11 05:34 AM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 332 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1535