MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Llaffer
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/04/11
Send PM

Ugh! I need a better recording solution
#262215 - 08/15/11 06:45 AM

I host an almost-weekly podcast. We did our show this week, about 70 min long, and I thought it was pretty good.

I went to find the file to prepare to edit, and it's a 0-byte file. When I went to stop recording and restart it so i wouldn't have to deal with the previous 90 minute conversation, that file never was released, so the new file never recorded.

Anyone know of a good solution for recording a Skype conversation that may be better than the one I've been using?

I'll withold for now on stating what I am using, just to see if it comes up as a recommended response.

Thanks

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

I use Audacity for everything. new [Re: Llaffer]
#262216 - 08/15/11 06:52 AM

And it takes me an eternity to figure out how to correctly configure the damned thing for the current job, every frikkin' time.

I highly suspect that I'm the problem though, not the program so YMMV. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Llaffer
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I use Audacity for everything. new [Re: aavada]
#262217 - 08/15/11 07:07 AM

I use audacity to edit, but can I use it to record skype calls as well?

When I record a solo-show, I use audacity for the entire process as well. But most of the time we have 2-4 people. Out of 18 shows, 2 of them are me solo.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: I use Audacity for everything. new [Re: Llaffer]
#262220 - 08/15/11 07:24 AM

> I use audacity to edit, but can I use it to record skype calls as well?
>
> When I record a solo-show, I use audacity for the entire process as well. But most of
> the time we have 2-4 people. Out of 18 shows, 2 of them are me solo.

I've never used Skype, but does the sound of the other person's voice come through the computer's sound board? Perhaps if there were a way to record from both Line in (your mic) and WAV (for the other person's voice)...?

LEVEL-4

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: I use Audacity for everything. new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#262221 - 08/15/11 07:40 AM

> I've never used Skype, but does the sound of the other person's voice come through
> the computer's sound board?

Unless you're using a USB headset, yes obviously, otherwise you wouldn't be able to hear it!

This free app can record Skype calls:
http://voipcallrecording.com/MP3_Skype_Recorder

S

Llaffer
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I use Audacity for everything. new [Re: Sune]
#262226 - 08/15/11 08:52 AM

>
> This free app can record Skype calls:
> http://voipcallrecording.com/MP3_Skype_Recorder
>
> S

And that's the program that I currently use. lol

I was hoping there is something else to use. It's just too flaky. If you do one thing wrong, you'll lose an hour and half recording

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: I use Audacity for everything. new [Re: Llaffer]
#262264 - 08/15/11 06:36 PM

> >
> > This free app can record Skype calls:
> > http://voipcallrecording.com/MP3_Skype_Recorder
> >
> > S
>
> And that's the program that I currently use. lol
>
> I was hoping there is something else to use. It's just too flaky. If you do one thing
> wrong, you'll lose an hour and half recording

If your soundcard's mixer software provides a recording source called "what you hear" or "stereo mix" you can use that source to record your skype calls with Audacity.
The problem with this is that you will have to turn up the 'playback' volume of your microphone in order for it to be recorded - most people find it annoying to hear their own voice on the speakers/headphones while talking, especially if it's delayed.

Maybe some creative wiring and a secondary soundcard is a better solution? Skype can use any available input and output on your PC, even on separate soundcards.

S

Llaffer
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I use Audacity for everything. new [Re: Sune]
#262284 - 08/15/11 10:10 PM

Yeah. I record on my laptop, with Skype for the conference call using a separate USB Mic for input and USB headset for output. I don't think I could stand hearing myself while I record, it would be too distracting.

I guess I have the "best" free solution, I just have to be more carefull about making sure it's set up right and recording before starting a show.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 898 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1253