View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Reged: 10/03/05
Send PM

Party in Sydney.
#261962 - 08/11/11 01:32 PM

INSERT COIN(S)! VIP LAUNCH PARTY! GAMING, LIVE MUSIC, ART AND BOOZE!

OXFORD ART FACTORY SYDNEY· September 8-9, 2011, 6pm-6:00am

Come along to kickstart a new wave of geek-friendly party nights in Sydney! Thursdays aren't just for hipsters anymore-- they're for hipster-geeks, art-geeks, gamer-geeks, geek-snobs, art-hipsters, music-art-geeks, gamer-musicians and just about everyone else who doesn't fit in! JOIN THE COIN!

STUFF TO EXPECT ON THE NIGHT:
--Low door entry $
--Loads of vintage and retro arcade machines
--Pinball machines
--Hot new gaming titles
--Live bands
--Sick fucking DJs
--A full-on retro milkbar serving alcoholic milkshakes
--Free candy (!)
--CHEAP DRINKS AND SPIRITS ALL NIGHT!

...AND LOADS MORE TO COME!

JOIN THE VIP GROUP! http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 5542631297

Learn more: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=240326165997771

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Party in Sydney. new [Re: Tingoes]
#261966 - 08/11/11 02:12 PM

It involves facebook - I won't go near it despite that being within walking distance of my crashpad.

DR
Skeptical Linkbot
Reged: 04/05/07
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: Party in Sydney. new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#261971 - 08/11/11 03:24 PM

I'd stay away due to the alcoholic milkshakes, that could get very messy.

There is no sin except stupidity.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#261972 - 08/11/11 03:35 PM

I was almost sold... Right up until the part about the booze.

oh well.

LEVEL-4

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#261985 - 08/11/11 06:49 PM

> It involves facebook - I won't go near it despite that being within walking distance
> of my crashpad.

It doesn't say anything about having to be a member of the group to get it. I'm no fan of Facebook either, but I wouldn't let that keep me away from retro-gaming goodness.

I agree with DR about the alcoholic milkshakes, though. Go early and get out before the vomiting starts in earnest.

DR
Skeptical Linkbot
Send PM

Re: Party in Sydney. new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#262036 - 08/12/11 11:21 AM

> I was almost sold... Right up until the part about the booze.
>
> oh well.

I understand if dont drink alcohol, no big deal I know people whio dont drink but are you saying you wont share the same space as people who are drinking?

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: Party in Sydney. new [Re: DR]
#262037 - 08/12/11 12:10 PM

> > I was almost sold... Right up until the part about the booze.
> >
> > oh well.
>
> I understand if dont drink alcohol, no big deal I know people whio dont drink but are
> you saying you wont share the same space as people who are drinking?

Yeah, but Darlinghurst is like the gay capital of Sydney, isn't it? Oxford Street is where the tranny hookers used to stand on the footpath!

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Send PM

Re: Party in Sydney. new [Re: Matty_]
#262038 - 08/12/11 01:41 PM

Your a bit behind the times Matty_, the queers have moved to King St Newtown.
The facebook guest list has plenty of girls as members of the club. More than the average arcade or gamers convention.
There are more three bars in that building - none of them are gay. Heaps of attractive trendy inner city girls with expensive tastes and executive careers letting their hair down on the weekend.
http://www.oxfordartfactory.com/html/venue.html
Q bar is the haunt of visiting rock stars and their posse's.
In this venue your far more likely to run into movie stars, fashion models and film stars than get hit on by a bloke in a frock.
http://www.exchangehotel.biz/default.asp?id=8

DR
Skeptical Linkbot
Send PM

#262040 - 08/12/11 02:08 PM

> Your a bit behind the times Matty_, the queers have moved to King St Newtown.
> The facebook guest list has plenty of girls as members of the club. More than the
> average arcade or gamers convention.
> There are three bars in that building. Q bar, Lizard Lounge and Oxford Arts Factory -
> none of them are gay. Heaps of attractive trendy inner city girls with expensive
> tastes and executive careers letting their hair down on the weekend.
> Q bar is the haunt of visiting rock stars and their posse's.
> In this venue your far more likely to run into movie stars, fashion models and film
> stars than get hit on by a bloke in a frock.

So its full of wankers then.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#262044 - 08/12/11 02:51 PM

> So its full of wankers then.

There are a hell of a lot of extremely "metrosexual" guys around here. It creeps my wife out seeing all these guys who do their hair and skin better than her.

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Send PM

#262118 - 08/13/11 07:56 AM

Metrosexual...?

Its a Melbourne thing.

The Melbourne band The Fauves at the Queen Victoria Market... MELBOURNE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kHqW8F6J6g

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#262122 - 08/13/11 01:20 PM

> Metrosexual...?
>
> Its a Melbourne thing.
>
> The Melbourne band The Fauves at the Queen Victoria Market... MELBOURNE.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kHqW8F6J6g

Well, my Melbourne pad is in Flemington - lots of black immigrants and minimal metrosexuality. My Sydney pad is in Elizabeth Bay, which is metrosexual central. It's also the home of B-grade television personalities and has-been sports stars (e.g. Manu from My Kitchen Rules, Kylie Kwong, and Geoff Huegill are all people I see around; also Ian Gray lived about 50m up the street from me until he got a hooker and overdosed on heroin). There's this beauty parlour of sorts that I walk past on my way to the railway station called "Next of Skin" that seems to be marketing as much to blokes as women - I think that's telling. Not that I dislike living here - close enough to work to walk home, I can shop locally, walking distance to CBD, botanic gardens and the domain, just up the hill from lovely Rushcutters Bay Park, nice eateries.

A coworker and I will probably go to this "Insert Coin" thing after work on the Friday.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#262124 - 08/13/11 03:40 PM

> > I was almost sold... Right up until the part about the booze.
> >
> > oh well.
>
> I understand if dont drink alcohol, no big deal I know people whio dont drink but are
> you saying you wont share the same space as people who are drinking?

If I were inviting people to a church service would you not attend just because folks were praising the Lord?

LEVEL-4

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#262126 - 08/13/11 04:36 PM

Would there be a full arcade?

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Party in Sydney. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#262127 - 08/13/11 05:07 PM

> Would there be a full arcade?

sure.

LEVEL-4

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#262128 - 08/13/11 05:11 PM

Praise Jesus!

Matty_
Part-time troll
Send PM

#262234 - 08/15/11 01:26 PM

> If I were inviting people to a church service would you not attend just because folks
> were praising the Lord?

If molgi invited us all to an orgy with a full arcade, would any of us not attend just because folks were having group sex?

DR
Skeptical Linkbot
Send PM

#262237 - 08/15/11 01:43 PM

> > > I was almost sold... Right up until the part about the booze.
> > >
> > > oh well.
> >
> > I understand if dont drink alcohol, no big deal I know people whio dont drink but
> are
> > you saying you wont share the same space as people who are drinking?
>
> If I were inviting people to a church service would you not attend just because folks
> were praising the Lord?

That wasnt my question. I was wondering for instance if you were invited to a dinner party at someones house and you knew at least some of the people would be having a glass of wine with dinner would you attend?

I dont go to church (I know, contain your suprise) but I have Religious relations who come and stay with us and we go and stay with them. I also attend church services at Christamas with my sons school, just because I'm an Atheist it dosent mean I cant be tolerant of others.

I know I can go off the deep end sometimes but I'm becoming more tolerant the older I get. I tend to just think "Meh believe what you want" these days unless people start trying to get preachy then they get both barrels.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#262259 - 08/15/11 05:46 PM

I would avoid the event (or ANY event) where alcohol is consumed for the sole reason of.... well, take your frat-boy/"parent"/belligerent neighbor for instance. I suppose, somewhere during my lifetime it's been engrained in me to not trust and be very wary of drunk people. Or maybe I'm being irrational.

Yeah, STBM.

LEVEL-4

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Send PM

#262436 - 08/18/11 02:03 PM

Oxford Art Factory, Aisle6ix Industries and Patrick Kolan present
INSERT COIN(S) - A RAD NIGHT OF GAMING, BANDS, ART & BOOZE
Secure booking.

buy moshtix.com.au

Oxford Art Factory, NSW

Thu 08 Sep, 2011

06:00 PM
Hey guys and gals! Come be a part of Sydney's next big night out. Insert Coin(s) is an event that combines games, music, art and booze with a rock vibe.
Sydneys newest night out Insert Coin(s) makes it cool to be a geek.

Patrick Kolan (former IGN.com Entertainment Editor) and Mark Gerber of The Oxford Art Factory are proud to announce the birth of Insert Coin(s) - a new event series that pays tribute to old school amusement arcades. The night brings together games, music and art as well as geek and pop culture in a venue that is already known for setting the trends in these spaces.

"Amusement games were actually a feature of the original concept I had for the Oxford Art Factory." says co-founder Mark Gerber. Scaletrix, Pinball and Space Invaders were all initially envisioned, along with the live music and art installations, to help create a full spectrum of leisure activities for all who visited the OAF. He continues, "I floated the idea of running a regular night involving games with many before even proudly showing them my as yet unfinished Grand Scale Scaletrix tables (they're really huge) but finally found the perfect partnership in Patrick Kolan. Insert Coin(s) is a long held personal vision now realized and one that will complete another important facet of the Oxford Art Factory concept."

GAMES: Patrons pay a small door charge for a night of retro gaming (tabletop and standing arcade units) as well as the latest gaming titles.

MUSIC: DJs will spin a blend of 70s, 80s, 90s, modern rock and pop before and after awesome LIVE ACTS take to the main stage. The launch will feature two brilliant young acts, CAMDEN and BRACKETS!

ART: Shannon McKinnon of Secret Wars fame will invite you to watch well known ARTISTS do their magic on larger than life canvas panels with pen, paint and brushsee your favourite video game & pop culture heroes come to life right in front you! Artists for September 8th will be Jumbo, Sprinkles, Teem and Mike Watt!

There will be additional major announcements and surprises coming soon but for now lets just say that the Milk(y) Bar(s) will be on us!

Co-founder Patrick Kolan believes "We're all geeks at heart - whether you're passionate about gaming, music or art. Insert Coin(s) brings all of these loves together and douses it in 80s-era nostalgia and 50s milk bar fun. We're going to transform the Oxford Art Factory into a classic arcade, complete with tons of gaming and pinball machines. Viva la arcade!"

The series will also showcase modern gaming favourites and upcoming games from leading publishers, giving gamers and casual fans a chance to sample the latest titles ahead of release.

As amusement arcades become a rarity, nights like Insert Coin(s) give a new generation a taste of yesteryear.

Follow Insert Coin(s) on Facebook and RSVP to the September 8 event!
Tweet #InsertCoinsAU

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#262440 - 08/18/11 03:29 PM

Well, I've bought entry for two - I'll be able to get at least one chump to come with me.

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Send PM

#262447 - 08/18/11 05:19 PM

I think your wise to get in and buy tickets early Vas Crabb.

Edited by Tingoes (08/18/11 06:23 PM)

Matty_
Part-time troll
Send PM

#262486 - 08/19/11 04:49 AM

> I think your wise to get in and buy tickets early Vas Crabb.

Get Sez, Brad and Robbbert to show up, and you'll have the Sydney MAMErs circlejerk. Get Guru, Ogoun, Moose and Heihachi73 to show up, and it can be the Australian MAMErs circlejerk! Well, until Ougon and Guru start trying to kill each other, that is.

Brad
Aussie D1ckhead
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Australia
Send PM

#262495 - 08/19/11 07:09 AM

I moved to brisbane 5 years ago so no Sydney circle jerk for me There is however this event which is just up the road from work for me!

http://www.emulatorart.com.au/

Brad

Edited by Brad (08/19/11 07:11 AM)

marielB
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/20/11
Send PM

Re: Party in Sydney. new [Re: Brad]
#262569 - 08/20/11 07:01 AM

Party. Party. Just enjoy!

Matty_
Part-time troll
Send PM

Re: Party in Sydney. new [Re: Brad]
#262683 - 08/22/11 01:32 AM

> I moved to brisbane 5 years ago so no Sydney circle jerk for me

But it'll be easy for you to hook up with Moose, at least. Take his mind off the sheep he keeps in his avatar pic.

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Send PM

Re: Party in Sydney. new [Re: marielB]
#263968 - 09/05/11 11:16 AM

Hey guys and gals! Come be a part of Sydney's next big night out. Insert Coin(s) is an event that combines games, music, art and booze with a rock vibe.

GAMES: Patrons pay a small door charge for a night of retro gaming (tabletop and standing arcade units) as well as the latest gaming titles.

Thanks to Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, we will be showcasing RESISTANCE 3 and Electronic Arts will be showing off FIFA 12 before release at Insert Coin(s)!

MUSIC: DJs will spin a blend of 70s, 80s, 90s, modern rock and pop before and after awesome LIVE ACTS take to the main stage. The launch will feature two brilliant young acts, CAMDEN and BRACKETS!

ART: Shannon McKinnon of Secret Wars fame will invite you to watch well known ARTISTS do their magic on larger than life canvas panels with pen, paint and brush. See your favourite video game & pop culture heroes come to life right in front you! Artists for September 8th will be Jumbo, Sprinkles, Teem and Mike Watt!

There will be additional major announcements and surprises coming soon but for now let's just say that the Milk(y) Bar(s) will be on us!

The series will also showcase modern gaming favourites and upcoming games from leading publishers, giving gamers and casual fans a chance to sample the latest titles ahead of release.

As amusement arcades become a rarity, nights like Insert Coin(s) give a new generation a taste of yesteryear.
------

Tweet #InsertCoinsAU

JOIN THE VIP GROUP! http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_141195542631297

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#263969 - 09/05/11 11:30 AM

> > I moved to brisbane 5 years ago so no Sydney circle jerk for me
>
> But it'll be easy for you to hook up with Moose, at least. Take his mind off the
> sheep he keeps in his avatar pic.

Nothing takes my mind off Dolly ..... not even her sister ....

Matty_
Part-time troll
Send PM

Re: Party in Sydney. new [Re: Moose]
#263970 - 09/05/11 01:25 PM

> Nothing takes my mind off Dolly ..... not even her sister ....

Are you sure you aren't a Welshman? Or a Kiwi at heart?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#264234 - 09/08/11 03:51 PM

Turned out to be pretty average. A few pinballs on freeplay - The Getaway, Fish Tales, Terminator, Back the the Future and Addams Family. There was another broken pinball. They had genuine Raiden Fighters Jet, Marvel vs Capcom, Metal Slug X, Tekken 5 and Big Buck Hunter, but the Tekken 5 was out of order. There were a bunch of lame X-in-1 MAME cabs as well. Pang stretched to 16:9 on a cocktail cab, eugh. It got a bit interesting when the canvass came out and dudes started painting on it, although watching the process was more fun than seeing the result. It was a bit of a sausagefest, too. It would've been better if the games weren't on freeplay. Lame-ass mofos were using continues like nothing else. Took ages to get through the queue for R/F Jet, but I totally pwned everyone else who bought in while I was playing. The live band they had - "Brackets" or something - were pretty shit, too.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 78 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3103