MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

How do you measure a reduction in game piracy?
#261115 - 07/31/11 03:25 PM

You don't. You just make a bullshit claim without any possible way of backing it up.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-28-ubisoft-drm-strategy-is-a-success

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: How do you measure a reduction in game piracy? new [Re: Allnatural]
#261127 - 07/31/11 05:52 PM

Its one of the unspoken rules of marketing

'never admit your wrong'

Keep saying what ever bonehead thing you did was good. Then later on when you quietly kill it dont talk about it and talk about some other shiny toy you have. If anyone ever brings it up talk about your latest shiny toy and how well it is selling.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#261128 - 07/31/11 05:57 PM

It probably did, but it's like this comment: "But what's the point in saying it successfully sees off piracy when it successfully sees off genuine sales too? Are Ubisoft successfully trying to see off Ubisoft? I think they are."

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Downloading Often Is Terrible new [Re: Allnatural]
#261135 - 07/31/11 07:18 PM Attachment: bender-piracy.jpg 8 KB (2 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Downloading Often Is Terrible new [Re: GatKong]
#261152 - 07/31/11 10:55 PM

Does that mean you should only pirate each thing once? Because "downloading often" is closer to Ubisoft's constant connection anti-piracy scheme than it is to a hacked version of a game that has it removed.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

#261155 - 08/01/11 01:02 AM

Of course, even if the piracy rate did drop, how many real customers didn't buy any of their new stuff with the idiotic 'always connected' drm?

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

#261190 - 08/01/11 01:08 PM

> You don't. You just make a bullshit claim without any possible way of backing it up.
>
> http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-28-ubisoft-drm-strategy-is-a-success

The weird thing is - they mean Steam right? That article makes it sound like its a Ubisoft propriety thing when loads of people publish exclusively on Steam these days
Just sayin

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: How do you measure a reduction in game piracy? new [Re: Fever]
#261195 - 08/01/11 01:58 PM

> > You don't. You just make a bullshit claim without any possible way of backing it
> up.
> >
> > http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-28-ubisoft-drm-strategy-is-a-success
>
> The weird thing is - they mean Steam right? That article makes it sound like its a
> Ubisoft propriety thing when loads of people publish exclusively on Steam these days
> Just sayin

No, they don't mean Steam. Steam does NOT need to be connected to the internet at all for you to launch or play a single player game. This DRM requires a connection at all times while playing.

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Send PM

Re: How do you measure a reduction in game piracy? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#261200 - 08/01/11 02:21 PM

> > > You don't. You just make a bullshit claim without any possible way of backing it
> > up.
> > >
> > > http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-28-ubisoft-drm-strategy-is-a-success
> >
> > The weird thing is - they mean Steam right? That article makes it sound like its a
> > Ubisoft propriety thing when loads of people publish exclusively on Steam these
> days
> > Just sayin
>
> No, they don't mean Steam. Steam does NOT need to be connected to the internet at all
> for you to launch or play a single player game. This DRM requires a connection at all
> times while playing.

Well the article says
"As revealed earlier this week, Driver: San Francisco is the latest Ubisoft PC title to demand users only play when they have an internet connection"
And here http://store.steampowered.com/app/33440/ is the link to purchase said 'Driver: San Francisco' on Steam
So either Ubisoft have their own DRM in addition to also publishing via Steam, in which case the article is misleading or they just have no idea about what you can and can't do with Steam!
So there!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#261207 - 08/01/11 04:09 PM

> > > > You don't. You just make a bullshit claim without any possible way of backing
> it
> > > up.
> > > >
> > > > http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-28-ubisoft-drm-strategy-is-a-success
> > >
> > > The weird thing is - they mean Steam right? That article makes it sound like its
> a
> > > Ubisoft propriety thing when loads of people publish exclusively on Steam these
> > days
> > > Just sayin
> >
> > No, they don't mean Steam. Steam does NOT need to be connected to the internet at
> all
> > for you to launch or play a single player game. This DRM requires a connection at
> all
> > times while playing.
>
> Well the article says
> "As revealed earlier this week, Driver: San Francisco is the latest Ubisoft PC title
> to demand users only play when they have an internet connection"
> And here http://store.steampowered.com/app/33440/ is the link to purchase said
> 'Driver: San Francisco' on Steam
> So either Ubisoft have their own DRM in addition to also publishing via Steam, in
> which case the article is misleading or they just have no idea about what you can and
> can't do with Steam!
> So there!

It has become more common among the major publishers to use multiple DRM schemes together on a single title. Ubisoft is indeed using an additional layer of their own DRM in addition to Steam, and have been doing so for some time.

Ubi have already proven that they're wrong:

March last year, they were hacked and shut down for several days, stopping anyone from playing their offline single player games.

April last year, the DRM was hacked, allowing pirates to play the games even when paying customers couldn't.

January this year, patches were released removing the DRM from a couple of the games, but they left it in others and said they would continue to use it.

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Send PM

Re: How do you measure a reduction in game piracy? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#261209 - 08/01/11 04:26 PM

> > > > > You don't. You just make a bullshit claim without any possible way of backing
> > it
> > > > up.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-28-ubisoft-drm-strategy-is-a-success
> > > >
> > > > The weird thing is - they mean Steam right? That article makes it sound like
> its
> > a
> > > > Ubisoft propriety thing when loads of people publish exclusively on Steam these
> > > days
> > > > Just sayin
> > >
> > > No, they don't mean Steam. Steam does NOT need to be connected to the internet at
> > all
> > > for you to launch or play a single player game. This DRM requires a connection at
> > all
> > > times while playing.
> >
> > Well the article says
> > "As revealed earlier this week, Driver: San Francisco is the latest Ubisoft PC
> title
> > to demand users only play when they have an internet connection"
> > And here http://store.steampowered.com/app/33440/ is the link to purchase said
> > 'Driver: San Francisco' on Steam
> > So either Ubisoft have their own DRM in addition to also publishing via Steam, in
> > which case the article is misleading or they just have no idea about what you can
> and
> > can't do with Steam!
> > So there!
>
> It has become more common among the major publishers to use multiple DRM schemes
> together on a single title. Ubisoft is indeed using an additional layer of their own
> DRM in addition to Steam, and have been doing so for some time.
>
> Ubi have already proven that they're wrong:
>
> March last year, they were hacked and shut down for several days, stopping anyone
> from playing their offline single player games.
>
> April last year, the DRM was hacked, allowing pirates to play the games even when
> paying customers couldn't.
>
> January this year, patches were released removing the DRM from a couple of the games,
> but they left it in others and said they would continue to use it.

Well, OK, that makes more sense - Steam should be enough for anyone, an extra layer is just silly as is more of a 'dare' to the hackers!

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

#261211 - 08/01/11 04:35 PM

Piracy is one of the hardest to stop in this country.but online connections.....isn't that how it's done to begin with. kind of ironic if you ask me. I wonder how they done this poll.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

#261240 - 08/01/11 11:33 PM

> Well, OK, that makes more sense - Steam should be enough for anyone, an extra layer
> is just silly as is more of a 'dare' to the hackers!

These days you have to turn to a cracked copy just to get full value for your purchase.

I certainly sympathize with the publishers, but if you can't find a way to protect your product in a way that doesn't unduly inconvenience paying customers, then forget it.

Jdurgi
Regular
Loc: NEW England, CT
Send PM

Re: How do you measure a reduction in game piracy? new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#261245 - 08/02/11 02:31 AM

> Piracy is one of the hardest to stop in this country.but online connections.....isn't
> that how it's done to begin with. kind of ironic if you ask me. I wonder how they
> done this poll.

With the way the internet works, piracy will never be fully "squashed". The arguments that are constantly being made regarding DRM from both sides, really, always make me laugh. The companies claim that the pirates are stealing money from them by releasing cracked versions of games when in reality, those who end up downloading the cracked versions of games never planned on buying the game in the first place. Then you have the people who just want free games claiming that they should be able to play the game in full before deciding whether or not to purchase the game, and that by using a cracked copy of the software they are able to fully demo the game and also have a back-up in case their original disk is ruined. (The back-up thing always makes me laugh because while there are those who legitimately do want a back up copy of their disc, the majority of them are just making up an excuse for why they pirate software).

As has been proven by many publishers, the best way to reduce piracy of their software is to release good software that isn't overloaded with obnoxious, resource hogging DRM, and make stuff available to the honest purchasers of the game that the pirates can't really access. When I was in college I was one of those "1337 Hax0rz" who liked to pirate everything and didn't bother purchasing software. Once I graduated college, however, I realize that those who have spent their time working on the software deserve to be paid and I want to reward them for putting out a great product. If the product isn't good, then hell, I just won't buy the software and won't ever need to use it.

--------------------------------------------------
I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Send PM

#261373 - 08/03/11 07:15 PM

> You don't. You just make a bullshit claim without any possible way of backing it up.
>

More DRM craziness I read this on Steam today - its for a patch for SIMS: Medieval
"PATCH NOTES
By installing this Patch, you understand and agree that any Sony SecuROM content protection technology that protected your base game software will be removed and replaced by Content Activation content protection technology by Sony DADC Austria AG. This change will not affect your rights to access and use your base game software. The Content Activation software will ensure that any of your five remaining SecuROM machine licenses associated with your base game software are available for use on other machines and your rights to use and authenticate your base game software should otherwise be unaffected. You can still manage your authorizations yourself by following the de-authorization instructions found at http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/. "

WTF? - makes my head hurt!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2160