Pages: 1

wild eyed
Corcreeghagh
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

what racing game is this????
#260968 - 07/28/11 02:34 PM

im thinking of a game i played years ago, late 90's / early 00's

it was a 3d racing game and whilst driving if the car went off the track it would find another route around the course..

thats all i got for ya..

any guesses?

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Reged: 06/13/04
Loc: Dumpville
Send PM

Re: what racing game is this???? new [Re: wild eyed]
#260975 - 07/28/11 03:32 PM

> im thinking of a game i played years ago, late 90's / early 00's
>
> it was a 3d racing game and whilst driving if the car went off the track it would
> find another route around the course..
>
> thats all i got for ya..
>
> any guesses?

maybe San Francisco Rush? That has some side tracks if you run off, but only at a few specific points.
Also I think Cruis'n USA and Cruis'n Exotica also allow you to run off the road and drive in other places.

Gyrovision
so many more levels...
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Area 51 Nevada
Send PM

#261048 - 07/30/11 12:56 AM

Sounds like Cruis'n the World: http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/romset/crusnwld

We played the snot out of Cruis'n World in '96 when the games were just weeks old, myself and three other co-workers at an arcade we worked for. Had four machines fiber optically linked together. Drank beer and played free for hours after work. Loved the Bill Clinton UFO at the very end. I loved my job...

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: what racing game is this???? new [Re: Gyrovision]
#261095 - 07/31/11 02:59 AM

> Sounds like Cruis'n the World: http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/romset/crusnwld
>
> We played the snot out of Cruis'n World in '96 when the games were just weeks old,
> myself and three other co-workers at an arcade we worked for. Had four machines fiber
> optically linked together. Drank beer and played free for hours after work. I loved my job...

Sure does sound awesome !!

> Loved the Bill Clinton UFO at the very end.

Yaaaarrrr !! Don't mention stuff like this. Now I'm going to have to upgrade my PC and play the game over and over and over again until I get good enough to see the part you are talking about. Got some serious training to do ....

Moose

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

#261468 - 08/05/11 03:04 AM

> Sounds like Cruis'n the World: http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/romset/crusnwld
>
> We played the snot out of Cruis'n World in '96 when the games were just weeks old,
> myself and three other co-workers at an arcade we worked for. Had four machines fiber
> optically linked together. Drank beer and played free for hours after work. Loved the
> Bill Clinton UFO at the very end. I loved my job...

Man, you guys are making me want to get into the CruisN games. But damn those framerates are an eyesore. What did they run at...25fps? Still, I'd be interested in giving 'em a gander. I really wish all the SF Rush games were emulated in MAME though. Really never had a chance to get into them.

Gyrovision
so many more levels...
Send PM

Re: what racing game is this???? new [Re: Moose]
#261478 - 08/05/11 06:27 AM

> > Loved the Bill Clinton UFO at the very end.
>
> Yaaaarrrr !! Don't mention stuff like this. Now I'm going to have to upgrade my PC
> and play the game over and over and over again until I get good enough to see the
> part you are talking about. Got some serious training to do ....

I'll upgrade if you do. Bout ready to beat the funk out of this POS '06 laptop.
The Cruzin games need a fast processsor, I heard around 4.5Ghz?
Nothing like playing on the real deal. Hmm, MAME driving cab comes to mind...

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#261490 - 08/05/11 09:15 AM Attachment: 0000.png 132 KB (1 downloads)

> I'll upgrade if you do. Bout ready to beat the funk out of this POS '06 laptop.
> The Cruzin games need a fast processsor, I heard around 4.5Ghz?
> Nothing like playing on the real deal. Hmm, MAME driving cab comes to mind...

My Core 2 Quad Q9400 hits mostly 100% on the Cruisin Games. I have it slightly overclocked @3.2GHz.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

VirtuaIceMan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/22/07
Send PM

Re: what racing game is this???? new [Re: Outrun2006]
#261505 - 08/05/11 01:43 PM

If you get the Zoo Digital Publishing DVD version of Midway Arcade Treasures Deluxe Edition you can play a bad port of San Fran Rush Alcatraz Edition as well as the Dreamcast port of Rush 2049 WITHOUT Starforce protection :-)

The original USA multi-disc CD-ROM version has Starforce on everything :-(

Make sure it's the single disc DVD version though! Amazon.com has the DVD version box shown but the small print says CD-ROM :-p

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#261524 - 08/05/11 07:09 PM

> I'll upgrade if you do. Bout ready to beat the funk out of this POS '06 laptop.
> The Cruzin games need a fast processsor, I heard around 4.5Ghz?
> Nothing like playing on the real deal. Hmm, MAME driving cab comes to mind...

No way. Crusin' USA ran full speed back in the Pentium 4 era. Practically any Core 2 Duo or later will probably handle it.

BadMouth
Arcade Racing Fan
Reged: 06/13/11
Send PM

Re: what racing game is this???? new [Re: VirtuaIceMan]
#261920 - 08/10/11 09:58 PM

> If you get the Zoo Digital Publishing DVD version of Midway Arcade Treasures Deluxe
> Edition you can play a bad port of San Fran Rush Alcatraz Edition as well as the
> Dreamcast port of Rush 2049 WITHOUT Starforce protection :-)
>
> The original USA multi-disc CD-ROM version has Starforce on everything :-(
>
> Make sure it's the single disc DVD version though! Amazon.com has the DVD version box
> shown but the small print says CD-ROM :-p

Neither of those support analogue controls. You can map your steering wheel to left and right, but it won't behave any differently than keypresses would.

The few driving games in MAT Deluxe that were part of MAT 2 do support analogue control (Hard Drivin, APB, Super Sprint). The ones that are part of MAT 3 do not (Race Drivin', Offroad Thunder, Hydro Thunder, Rush 2049, etc).

There's no reason to buy it unless you plan to play with a keyboard (or maybe standard microswitch joystick). It's a shame. FYI, the exe for each game can be launched individually. -f for fullscreen.

Gyrovision
so many more levels...
Send PM

Re: what racing game is this???? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#263211 - 08/28/11 06:22 PM

> > I'll upgrade if you do. Bout ready to beat the funk out of this POS '06 laptop.
> > The Cruzin games need a fast processsor, I heard around 4.5Ghz?
> > Nothing like playing on the real deal. Hmm, MAME driving cab comes to mind...
>
> No way. Crusin' USA ran full speed back in the Pentium 4 era. Practically any Core 2
> Duo or later will probably handle it.

You are absolutely correct. Hard drive quit on the old POS laptop so I now have a new one with an i5 and it smokes the Crusin' games, no stutter no shutter. Probably not the best processor for high end games (I needed a compact laptop for travel) but so far I am very happy with the speed.

Moose, it's now YOUR turn to upgrade! Speed up!

VirtuaIceMan
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: what racing game is this???? new [Re: BadMouth]
#263227 - 08/28/11 10:01 PM

That's true. I think the PC official 3Dfx version (that I bought for £60 (originally bundled with Quantum card)) has analogue controls... But various other bugs, notably sound glitches

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#263241 - 08/29/11 12:56 AM

> That's true. I think the PC official 3Dfx version (that I bought for £60 (originally
> bundled with Quantum card)) has analogue controls... But various other bugs, notably
> sound glitches

Hey VirtuaIceMan, did they ever hack that to bypass the video card check? That would allow playing on a modern PC with a wrapper...

- Stiletto

VirtuaIceMan
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: what racing game is this???? new [Re: Stiletto]
#263243 - 08/29/11 01:05 AM

Yeah, there's edited ones, runs on a wrapper. Needs a command line tag to unlock the frame rate or it's really jerky

Edited by VirtuaIceMan (08/29/11 01:05 AM)

VirtuaIceMan
MAME Fan
Send PM

#263244 - 08/29/11 01:11 AM

Google for san francisco rush cracked exes. The game does a scream for a lot of sound effects wrongly, plus you can see golden gate bridge in places it shouldn't be (meant to be textured only one side but it shows both sides) etc. But can run in high res.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#263323 - 08/29/11 10:44 PM

> Google for san francisco rush cracked exes. The game does a scream for a lot of sound
> effects wrongly, plus you can see golden gate bridge in places it shouldn't be (meant
> to be textured only one side but it shows both sides) etc. But can run in high res.

Thanks. I figure you'd know without me having to Google for it, you were the guy who had figured out or searched for all the hacks to make old driving games work okay in XP/Vista/Win7 over at http://vogons.zetafleet.com and the like...

- Stiletto

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#263508 - 08/31/11 12:07 PM

The crazy thing about it is, I've watched dozens of people over the years play San Francisco Rush, but for some reason never got around to playing it much, so my knowledge of the game's car handling and physics is not much at all. Do the cars drift in any way? Or are they fairly, stuck to the ground? Man how I'd love to play the Rush games with force feedback. I need to find an arcade in LA that has driving games to see if any of them have any Rush games.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#263509 - 08/31/11 12:14 PM

Man those CruisN games have NOT aged well at all. I remember being fairly unimpressed by them even back then when they first came out in the arcade. I was like "Whoah...WTF is this crap? This doesn't look anything like Daytona USA....I demand an explanation!!!" LOL That hardware had nothing on Model 2. Games don't even run at 60fps...what a shame.

VirtuaIceMan
MAME Fan
Send PM

#263510 - 08/31/11 12:33 PM

Sorry Stiletto, I thought I was adhering to the no-warez policy of the boards! Besides, I have the fixed exes but not on me, and I can't remember where they came from. But there are a few places with them on Google now I think.

p.s. my future will be trying to get games working on Win7 I think ha. Once I upgrade. Eventually...

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#263613 - 09/01/11 09:45 AM

> Man those CruisN games have NOT aged well at all. I remember being fairly unimpressed
> by them even back then when they first came out in the arcade. I was like
> "Whoah...WTF is this crap? This doesn't look anything like Daytona USA....I demand an
> explanation!!!" LOL That hardware had nothing on Model 2. Games don't even run at
> 60fps...what a shame.

Not Daytona, and not even an "Ultra 64" as the game advertised. I believe N64 Magazine also gave it a mediocre review when it did eventually end up on the N64, however I haven't seen my copy of the magazine around in many years (it was the one with a MK Mythologies walkthrough).

Fedmor El
No title!!
Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: Sol III
Send PM

#263745 - 09/02/11 06:04 PM

> im thinking of a game i played years ago, late 90's / early 00's
>
> it was a 3d racing game and whilst driving if the car went off the track it would
> find another route around the course..
>
> thats all i got for ya..
>
> any guesses?

you're welcome...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 248 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4741