MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Mentski
One Credit Chump
Reged: 08/25/07
Send PM

Turbo Outrun music order
#260631 - 07/24/11 01:57 AM

Today, I decided to have a quick go on Turbo Outrun in MAME, only for something to seriously conflict with my memories of playing the game in arcades, enough for me to unlurk and post here.

On MAME, the track that plays for the first leg of the race is "Rush A Difficulty", however, I'm pretty sure every version I played out in the wild used "Shake The Street" for the first 4 stages.

If you look at the track listing for M1, the tracks are marked

Shake The Street (Music 1)
Rush A Difficulty (Music 2)
Who Are You (Music 3)
Keep Your Heart (Music 4)

... And his is the order that I remember them in.

Here is a Youtube video with the songs playing in that order from a Laserdisc showing a playthrough of the original arcade version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tRrpP8YyKo

I've played through all the available romsets, only to see them all playing the tracks in this order

Rush A Difficulty
Keep Your Heart
Shake The Street
Who Are You

This is an example of a playthrough in MAME:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSPZFxiaTS8

The question is - could this possibly be an emulation error, or is it simply the case that the versions I played back in the 90's have alternate, undumped romsets?

EDIT: To add fuel to the fire, I just entered toutrun's test mode within MAME, and checked the sound test, where all the music is listed under TITLE0, TITLE1, TITLE2, and TITLE3, in the correct order, faithful to the Laserdisc footage.

Edited by Mentski (07/24/11 02:55 AM)

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: Turbo Outrun music order new [Re: Mentski]
#260635 - 07/24/11 03:08 AM

Yes, there are versions of Turbo Outrun with two different orders that the stage music is played in. The order shown in the service menu (and in M1) is the original one, used by the earliest version of the PCB. It was changed in later versions for some reason. All the working sets in MAME have the later, revised music order. It is possible that the set that we don't have a decryption key for is the version with the original music order. But without a decryption key, it's difficult to know.

Mentski
One Credit Chump
Reged: 08/25/07
Send PM

Re: Turbo Outrun music order new [Re: AWJ]
#260652 - 07/24/11 06:02 AM

Ah, yes, I did see the non-working version in the list. Makes sense that probably has the original order.

Considering the fact I played on multiple Turbo Outrun cabinets back in the day and never noticed this difference before now astounds me.

I guess only one version ever got distributed around these parts of the UK. I recall all of the cabs I played it in were either Turbo Outrun cockpits or uprights, I never saw any conversions of original Out Run cabs which would've had the alternate order.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 220 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2064