MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Gemini
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Georgia
Send PM

another ticket
#259934 - 07/14/11 05:13 PM Attachment: another_ticket.jpg 191 KB (1 downloads)

I was driving home from my Army reserve drill weekend on Sunday when I got stopped by a cop in the great state of Alabama. (Georgia's a peach compared to Alabama... get it? a peach...) So I immediately think to myself that he must have gotten me for speeding or running a red light or something. I was shocked when he wrote me a ticket for following too closely instead of just giving me a warning. I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket like that unless they were also in a car accident. Everyone I've told the story to has said that I should fight it, but I know that a magistrate in a traffic court doesn't hold to the "innocent until proven guilty" aspect of the law. It's annoying too, because I was passing another vehicle when it happened and that law is written: "Except when overtaking and passing another vehicle..."

The court is about 2 hours away from my home and the ticket didn't list the fine, so I have to call to figure out what it will be. Probably $150 - $200

This is also the first time I got an electronic ticket, so I'm not sure how they're made. Does the cop type the information in or is it filled in by a computer? Where did that date of birth come from and did he really think I was only 19? If I sign the ticket, does that legally change my age?
Does that mean that I can date a teenager without it being creepy?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: another ticket new [Re: Gemini]
#259943 - 07/14/11 06:00 PM

Maybe you can hire a traffic layer to get it reduced or nullified. If there is incorrect information on the ticket, maybe a lawyer can get it thrown out of court. What the hell kind of cop gives a ticket to someone in the service anyway? I know my wife has gotten out of a few because she is a nurse. The cop that gave you a ticket would probably give his own mother a ticket.

Brian_hoffman
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/30/08
Send PM

Re: another ticket new [Re: redk9258]
#259946 - 07/14/11 07:38 PM

Exactly, where is the professional courtesy. My sister is an MP and police (normal police) broke laws all the time and they were like "your not going to give me a ticket are you" WTF.

Take it to court, make his ass show up.

Between the incorrect information on the ticket and the clear way the law is written, not to mention the fact your a serviceman you should get off.

Let us know

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

#260071 - 07/16/11 06:58 AM

> The court is about 2 hours away from my home and the ticket didn't list the fine, so
> I have to call to figure out what it will be. Probably $150 - $200

This is SOP in many areas, especially rural areas in the south. They ticket people out of state for all kinds of bogus reasons because they know you'll pay the fine instead of showing up for court. My suggestion would be to go to court if at all possible - you'll probably win since they have the burden of proof and they'll need camera footage from the police car to prove that you were tailgating.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: another ticket new [Re: Waremonger]
#260073 - 07/16/11 07:14 AM

> This is SOP in many areas, especially rural areas in the south. They ticket people
> out of state for all kinds of bogus reasons because they know you'll pay the fine
> instead of showing up for court. My suggestion would be to go to court if at all
> possible - you'll probably win since they have the burden of proof and they'll need
> camera footage from the police car to prove that you were tailgating.

Extortion like this should be a federal crime. Perverting laws intended for public safety for revenue generation is just disgusting.

I got whacked a few weeks ago for an expired inspection sticker. The cop himself told me to get the car inspected and contest the ticket, and they'll probably give me a break. What he forgot to mention is the $25 filing fee to contest the ticket. So now, I've essentially placed a wager. If the magistrate is in a pissed off mood and I lose, I'm out $75 and my insurance company gets free rein to stick it in my ass.

Llaffer
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/04/11
Send PM

#260088 - 07/16/11 06:18 PM

If they have your personal information wrong on the ticket, such as your date of birth, that's reason enough I would think to have it thrown out.

Definately fight it.

Jdurgi
Regular
Loc: NEW England, CT
Send PM

Re: another ticket new [Re: Brian_hoffman]
#260114 - 07/17/11 03:10 AM

> Exactly, where is the professional courtesy. My sister is an MP and police (normal
> police) broke laws all the time and they were like "your not going to give me a
> ticket are you" WTF.
>
> Take it to court, make his ass show up.
>
> Between the incorrect information on the ticket and the clear way the law is written,
> not to mention the fact your a serviceman you should get off.
>
> Let us know

This is a definite "fight it" type of thing. The cop who gave it to you just figured that because you're out of state, you'll submit the fine and he'll get a pat on his ass for obtaining a fine from an out of state driver and for giving out a ticket. They are expecting you to not fight it.

Since the ticket was written up incorrectly (wrong birth date) and you can prove that with your valid driver's license, they really will have no choice but to throw the ticket out. In addition, chances are the cop won't show up because they don't think you will.

A few years ago, I got a ticket from a stuck up rookie cop who was obviously just trying to suck up to his supervisor. I fought the ticket and gave evidence in my "I'm fighting this" letter to the state that proved I did not run the red light. A week or so later, I got a letter from the state saying that they were throwing it out and it would be removed from my record. I still have that "you won" letter framed on the wall in my house.

--------------------------------------------------
I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 141 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1418