View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Requesting a little VST help....
#259289 - 07/07/11 08:00 PM

I'm just checking out VSTi plug-ins and stuff. I have some from someone, and I picked up VSTHost, and.....while it says it can load and save FXB/FXP files, it doesn't seem to allow these.

In file>new plugins, it prompts for dll and vst3.

In the ui, 'load plugins' is grayed out, and in the File menu, 'plugins' is grayed out.

I kind of thought this deal would work maybe like MAME or something, where you put the plugin there, you select it, you connect your midi device (in this case a digital piano), it detects it, and you play the sucker.

Yet, this situation seems like something I imagined it being like in the mid 90s.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Requesting a little VST help.... new [Re: mogli]
#259333 - 07/08/11 04:29 AM

> I'm just checking out VSTi plug-ins and stuff. I have some from someone, and I picked
> up VSTHost, and.....while it says it can load and save FXB/FXP files, it doesn't seem
> to allow these.
>
> In file>new plugins, it prompts for dll and vst3.
>
> In the ui, 'load plugins' is grayed out, and in the File menu, 'plugins' is grayed
> out.
>
> I kind of thought this deal would work maybe like MAME or something, where you put
> the plugin there, you select it, you connect your midi device (in this case a digital
> piano), it detects it, and you play the sucker.
>
> Yet, this situation seems like something I imagined it being like in the mid 90s.

I don't know anything about VSTHost, but it sounds like you want to do File | New Plugins and point it at the DLL for your VSTi. That should load the plugin up and let you play it.

FXB/FXP files are just banks and patches. Once you have a VST synth loaded, you can load an FXB or FXP file (assuming they're meant for the synth you're using) to get new sounds/settings.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Requesting a little VST help.... new [Re: DMala]
#259337 - 07/08/11 05:27 AM

> I don't know anything about VSTHost, but it sounds like you want to do File | New
> Plugins and point it at the DLL for your VSTi. That should load the plugin up and let
> you play it.
>
> FXB/FXP files are just banks and patches. Once you have a VST synth loaded, you can
> load an FXB or FXP file (assuming they're meant for the synth you're using) to get
> new sounds/settings.

I was told by the plug-in provider that I just needed to load them in the host of my choice. No dlls came with the plug-ins, and the two in the main directory are apparently german and french versions, indicative by the 'DEU' and 'FRA' in their file names.

I looked at the documentation, but it seemed pretty complicated to 'set up' the host, and I just skimmed it, because it wasn't 'load and play'.

It seems a host is designed with a different overall process in mind than what I have in mind.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#259338 - 07/08/11 06:00 AM

> I was told by the plug-in provider that I just needed to load them in the host of my
> choice. No dlls came with the plug-ins, and the two in the main directory are
> apparently german and french versions, indicative by the 'DEU' and 'FRA' in their
> file names.

Not sure what you've got there, but a VST plugin *is* a DLL. It may have other supporting files, but the plugin itself will always be a DLL.

With most hosts, you don't need to find the actual file. You can just point it at the plugin directory and it will scan and set up any valid plugins that it finds. Not sure if the host you have works like that or not.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#259340 - 07/08/11 07:54 AM

> Not sure what you've got there, but a VST plugin *is* a DLL. It may have other
> supporting files, but the plugin itself will always be a DLL.
>
> With most hosts, you don't need to find the actual file. You can just point it at the
> plugin directory and it will scan and set up any valid plugins that it finds. Not
> sure if the host you have works like that or not.

Okay. I wasn't understanding that. I was given FXB and FXP files. I thought those were plug-ins. I'm not sure how to access/use those, then.

The Culture

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#259401 - 07/09/11 01:38 AM

> Okay. I wasn't understanding that. I was given FXB and FXP files. I thought those
> were plug-ins. I'm not sure how to access/use those, then.

You were already told what those are.

> FXB/FXP files are just banks and patches. Once you have a VST synth loaded, you can
> load an FXB or FXP file (assuming they're meant for the synth you're using) to get
> new sounds/settings.

S

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#259433 - 07/09/11 03:43 PM

> Okay. I wasn't understanding that. I was given FXB and FXP files. I thought those
> were plug-ins. I'm not sure how to access/use those, then.

Yeah, you'd need the plugin they were made with to do anything with them. Do you know which plugin it was? You might be able to download it, there are a fair number of VSTs that are freebies or at least have a free demo mode.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#259440 - 07/09/11 05:24 PM

Quote:

Yeah, you'd need the plugin they were made with to do anything with them. Do you know
> which plugin it was? You might be able to download it, there are a fair number of
> VSTs that are freebies or at least have a free demo mode.

Yeah. I may give that a look. Thanks D

Quote:

You were already told what those are.
>

> >FXB/FXP files are just banks and patches. Once you have a VST synth loaded, you can
> > load an FXB or FXP file (assuming they're meant for the synth you're using) to get
> > new sounds/settings.
>
> S

I wasn't understanding cos I wasn't getting how to 'load a synth'. Again, I think I'm seeing the idea behind the layout or architecture of things, but it's more involved than I'm interested, I think.

The Culture

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#259444 - 07/09/11 05:36 PM

> I wasn't understanding cos I wasn't getting how to 'load a synth'. Again, I think I'm
> seeing the idea behind the layout or architecture of things, but it's more involved
> than I'm interested, I think.

Nah, your problem is that you have already decided how it was supposed to work and now that it doesn't work that way, you want to back out. Right?

It's simple, look:

The VST host:
Hosts the VST plugin, provides a graphical interface (compare it to a sound board /mixer where you plug in instruments and effects) takes care of audio playback, MIDI I/O etc.

The FXB/FXP files:
Patches for the VST plugin, xxB is bank, xxP is program (I think?). Once Your virtual instrument or effect is running inside the host, you can load these.

Normally VST plugins get installed to Program Files/Steinberg/VST Plugins.
After installing your plugins just point your VST host to that folder and it should find all your plugins by itself.

If you're going to play the VST in real time via a MIDI controller, I recommend you install the ASIO4ALL driver for minimum latency: http://www.asio4all.com/
Remember you must configure your VST host to use the ASIO driver in its audio hardware settings.

Anything else just ask.

S

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Requesting a little VST help.... new [Re: Sune]
#259539 - 07/10/11 08:05 PM

> Nah, your problem is that you have already decided how it was supposed to work and
> now that it doesn't work that way, you want to back out. Right?

Yeah. I'm taking a break from this, but I'll save the information if I decide to come back to it. Thank you.

The Culture

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1193