MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

vellocet
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/28/11
Send PM

Name that game
#258550 - 06/28/11 11:14 AM

1) A shooter where the player stands and moves a "targetting screen" around with handles. The playing area is wider than the screen and cannot all be seen at once. The object is to defend your base and shoot down attacking planes that fly left and right. You complete stages and are awarded more weapons.

2) A Japanese tank game where there are four tanks on each side: one white, one green. Fight it out in a city arena.

3) A Japanese tank game with only one tank per side. Controllers are Battlezone handles with several buttons. There were three or four tanks to choose from: speedy, armored, normal, etc. Maybe you could customize? Sit down and duel the other player next to you, who gets his own seat and screen. The arena is a futuristic city/tron style. Was out in the arcades at the same time as Virtual On Cybertroopers?

Does MAME have support for these games?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Name that game new [Re: vellocet]
#258569 - 06/28/11 04:19 PM

> 2) A Japanese tank game where there are four tanks on each side: one white, one
> green. Fight it out in a city arena.
>
> 3) A Japanese tank game with only one tank per side. Controllers are Battlezone
> handles with several buttons. There were three or four tanks to choose from: speedy,
> armored, normal, etc. Maybe you could customize? Sit down and duel the other player
> next to you, who gets his own seat and screen. The arena is a futuristic city/tron
> style. Was out in the arcades at the same time as Virtual On Cybertroopers?

One of these two might be Teraburst maybe? The first one almost sounds like good old Battlezone, but it clearly isn't.

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

#258571 - 06/28/11 04:34 PM

> 1) A shooter where the player stands and moves a "targetting screen" around with
> handles. The playing area is wider than the screen and cannot all be seen at once.
> The object is to defend your base and shoot down attacking planes that fly left and
> right. You complete stages and are awarded more weapons.

I'm sure I've played this game, but I can't remember the title.

> 2) A Japanese tank game where there are four tanks on each side: one white, one
> green. Fight it out in a city arena.

This is definitely Tokyo Wars.

> 3) A Japanese tank game with only one tank per side. Controllers are Battlezone
> handles with several buttons. There were three or four tanks to choose from: speedy,
> armored, normal, etc. Maybe you could customize? Sit down and duel the other player
> next to you, who gets his own seat and screen. The arena is a futuristic city/tron
> style. Was out in the arcades at the same time as Virtual On Cybertroopers?

Sounds like Cyber Sled, though it's a few years older than Virtual On.

Phil Bennett
L'Emuchat
Reged: 04/20/04
Send PM

#258580 - 06/28/11 06:06 PM

> 1) A shooter where the player stands and moves a "targetting screen" around with
> handles. The playing area is wider than the screen and cannot all be seen at once.
> The object is to defend your base and shoot down attacking planes that fly left and

Sounds like Turret Tower.

vellocet
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/28/11
Send PM

Re: Name that game new [Re: AWJ]
#258673 - 06/29/11 10:46 AM

> > 1) A shooter where the player stands and moves a "targetting screen" around with
> > handles. The playing area is wider than the screen and cannot all be seen at once.
> > The object is to defend your base and shoot down attacking planes that fly left and
> > right. You complete stages and are awarded more weapons.
>
> I'm sure I've played this game, but I can't remember the title.

Me either! It's similar to Turret Tower, but a bit older as it uses raster graphics rather than digitized. Maybe 1988-1992 time period?

>
> > 2) A Japanese tank game where there are four tanks on each side: one white, one
> > green. Fight it out in a city arena.
>
> This is definitely Tokyo Wars.
>

That's it! An easy one.

> > 3) A Japanese tank game with only one tank per side. Controllers are Battlezone
> > handles with several buttons. There were three or four tanks to choose from:
> speedy,
> > armored, normal, etc. Maybe you could customize? Sit down and duel the other player
> > next to you, who gets his own seat and screen. The arena is a futuristic city/tron
> > style. Was out in the arcades at the same time as Virtual On Cybertroopers?
>
> Sounds like Cyber Sled, though it's a few years older than Virtual On.

Yup, that's it! Cool! Thanks. Does MAME support both of these? I imagine the controls would be a problem, though.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#258698 - 06/29/11 06:06 PM

You are describing DANGER ZONE

Its sequel is VIPER

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 288 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2159