Pages: 1

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

Question about discrete for MAME
#258282 - 06/25/11 05:49 AM

will MAME have a discrete games side project similar to mess?

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Question about discrete for MAME new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#258309 - 06/25/11 02:44 PM

> will MAME have a discrete games side project similar to mess?

I would imagine that discrete games would be (eventually) included in the baseline MAME, just like the discrete sound chips have been done. I gather any game data (the TTL equivalent of ROM images) would end up inside a zip file, rather than being built in like Pong was back in the late 1990s.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

Re: Question about discrete for MAME new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#258327 - 06/25/11 08:12 PM

Thank you. If MAME does decide on simulating TTL chips,I would like to see Breakout and the original Tank.The only simulated Breakout that I know of came in the form of a PC game that Atari promoted to Taco Bell awhile back.But it was called Super Breakout even thought it was the Original.

http://kotaku.com/5483278/think-outside-the-bun-get-free-atari-games

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Britland
Send PM

#258330 - 06/25/11 08:49 PM

> Thank you. If MAME does decide on simulating TTL chips,I would like to see Breakout
> and the original Tank.The only simulated Breakout that I know of came in the form of
> a PC game that Atari promoted to Taco Bell awhile back.But it was called Super
> Breakout even thought it was the Original.
>
> http://kotaku.com/5483278/think-outside-the-bun-get-free-atari-games

For your Tank fix you could always try Combat on an Atari 2600 emulator...

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#258334 - 06/25/11 10:21 PM

>The only simulated Breakout that I know of came in the form of a PC game that Atari
>promoted to Taco Bell awhile back.But it was called Super Breakout even thought it was
>the Original.

You'll have to settle with Super Breakout for now.

>If MAME does decide on simulating TTL chips,I would like to see Breakout and the
>original Tank.

MAME currently does emulate some of the TTL chip hardware used with some games.

As for emulating Tank, two hurdles specifically concerning Tank. The roms are a custom type rom and required someone (MAMEdev member?) visiting a university library (iirc) and getting a book from 1970s era in order to find out what the exact chip was that stores the game rom data so a specific adapter could be made to dump roms from a Tank pcb.

I am pretty sure Tank rom(s) may have already been dumped a few times earlier by some of the repair shops in order to repair Tank cabs or cocktail tables. But that stuff probably isn't online these days compared to Naomi hardware titles.

Besides the hurdle of dumping Tank rom(s), is the fact that Tank uses 2 pcbs while Fun Games' Tankers (a clone of Tank) uses 3 pcbs. The number of pcbs used in a non-cpu game presents a huge, emulation speed challenge.

Last year, Juergen B. (MAMEdev member) partially emulated Pong with his TTL emulation project and on state-of-the-art computers last year....the frame speed was no more than 7 frames per second.....and pong is a single board pcb. It would probably be same speed frame, maybe less, if original Breakout were to be emulated as well.

For speed of emulating a 2-pcb system like Tank....it might probably only run .05 to 1 frames per second on current state-of-the-art computers. A fair number of non-cpu games used multiple pcbs (Computer Space, Tank, Midway Ball Park, some of the racing games etc)

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Re: Question about discrete for MAME new [Re: gregf]
#258335 - 06/25/11 10:25 PM

> > The only simulated Breakout that I know of came in the form of a PC game that Atari
> > promoted to Taco Bell awhile back.But it was called Super Breakout even thought it
> was
> > the Original.
>
> You'll have to settle with Super Breakout for now.
>
>
> > If MAME does decide on simulating TTL chips,I would like to see Breakout and the
> > original Tank.
>
>
> MAME currently does emulate some of the TTL chip hardware used with some games.
>
> As for emulating Tank, two hurdles specifically concerning Tank. The roms are a
> custom type rom and required someone (MAMEdev member?) visiting a university library
> (iirc) and getting a book from 1970s era in order to find out what the exact chip was
> that stores the game rom data so a specific adapter could be made to dump roms from a
> Tank pcb.
>
> I am pretty sure Tank rom(s) may have already been dumped a few times earlier by
> some of the repair shops in order to repair Tank cabs or cocktail tables. But that
> stuff probably isn't online these days compared to Naomi hardware titles.
>
> Besides the hurdle of dumping Tank rom(s), is the fact that Tank uses 2 pcbs while
> Fun Games' Tankers (a clone of Tank) uses 3 pcbs.

Really? But a Tanker is a pretty different thing to a Tank - I would have assumed it was an 18 wheeler clone or something - how daft!

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Question about discrete for MAME new [Re: Fever]
#258339 - 06/25/11 11:02 PM

>> As for emulating Tank, two hurdles specifically concerning Tank. The roms are a
>> custom type rom and required someone (MAMEdev member?) visiting a university library
>> (iirc) and getting a book from 1970s era in order to find out what the exact chip was
>> that stores the game rom data so a specific adapter could be made to dump roms from a
>> Tank pcb.
>
>> I am pretty sure Tank rom(s) may have already been dumped a few times earlier by
>> some of the repair shops in order to repair Tank cabs or cocktail tables. But that
>> stuff probably isn't online these days compared to Naomi hardware titles.
>
>> Besides the hurdle of dumping Tank rom(s), is the fact that Tank uses 2 pcbs while
>> Fun Games' Tankers (a clone of Tank) uses 3 pcbs.

>Really? But a Tanker is a pretty different thing to a Tank -

Heh. Well...it was one that you added to DL web site years earlier. ;-)

Here's my earlier reply regarding the two Tank games that I played back in 1970s.

==
For oddities, Kee Games Tank used a two board pcb setup while Fun Games' Tankers made use of a 3 pcb setup for handling Tankers. Both games should have identical gameplay. I occasionally played both games way back in mid 1970s. From what I recall, Tank was the better of the two imo because it had better, faster response when moving the tank around the screen during gameplay.

--
Kee Games Tank http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=1167

Fun Games Tankers http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=2503
--

==

>I would have assumed it was an 18 wheeler clone or something - how daft!

It gets better now that Midway's 18 Wheeler is now a supported under mw18w.c as a preliminary driver file.

Here is a videoclip of Midway's 18 Wheeler in action. The audio is all discrete components material. The external artwork support will be a truckload of a chore in order to fully emulate Midway's version of 18 Wheeler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMAmjXE4Els

Jerkmaker
making jerks splooge
Reged: 07/31/11
Send PM

#261125 - 07/31/11 05:47 PM

... as for emulating Tank, the first hurdle, you've mentioned above, is already taken:

==>

Tank-ROM KeeGames

Belegung Tank-ROM 74182 2k-Byte

+5V 1 24 CS1(+5V)
A0 2 23 D0
A1 3 22 D1
A2 4 21 D2
A3 5 20 D3
A4 6 19 D4
A5 7 18 D5
A9 8 17 D6
-12V 9 16 D7
A8 10 15 A10
A7 11 14 CS0(+5V) 1. 0V=>5V: AdrIn
A6 12 13 AdrDataLatchClock ==> 2. warte 1µs
3. 5V=>0V: DataOut
Kein GND(0V) - AdrIn und DataOut 4. warte 1µs, zu 1
sind trotzdem TTL-Signale (0V und 5V).

2kROM-Inhalt:

[ Please refrain from making gregf splooge. Thank you ]

(rule#1, roundaboutly)

Jerkmaker
making jerks splooge
Reged: 07/31/11
Send PM

#261130 - 07/31/11 06:08 PM

[ Please refrain from making gregf splooge. Thank you ]

(rule#1, roundaboutly)

Edited by italie (08/01/11 01:03 AM)

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#261148 - 07/31/11 09:53 PM

> As for emulating Tank, two hurdles specifically concerning Tank. The roms are a
> custom type rom and required someone (MAMEdev member?) visiting a university library
> (iirc) and getting a book from 1970s era in order to find out what the exact chip was
> that stores the game rom data so a specific adapter could be made to dump roms from a
> Tank pcb.

I think I missed this post.

The documentation was successfully obtained back in March. No one's made an adapter that I am aware of.

- Stiletto

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Question about discrete for MAME new [Re: Stiletto]
#261214 - 08/01/11 05:22 PM

Yeah, but the part where he posted the ROM contents in ASCII was kind of awesome

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Question about discrete for MAME new [Re: R. Belmont]
#261233 - 08/01/11 09:58 PM

> Yeah, but the part where he posted the ROM contents in ASCII was kind of awesome

Yeah, but the name change/tantrum after being edited wasn't.

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Reged: 06/13/04
Loc: Dumpville
Send PM

#261267 - 08/02/11 10:24 AM

> Tank pcb.
>
> I am pretty sure Tank rom(s) may have already been dumped a few times earlier by
> some of the repair shops in order to repair Tank cabs or cocktail tables. But that
> stuff probably isn't online these days compared to Naomi hardware titles.
>
> Besides the hurdle of dumping Tank rom(s), is the fact that Tank uses 2 pcbs while
> Fun Games' Tankers (a clone of Tank) uses 3 pcbs. The number of pcbs used in a
> non-cpu game presents a huge, emulation speed challenge.

I have a couple of Tank boards. I thought someone has already dumped those ROMs? If not and I can get the adapter info I can dump them (or 'it' I think there's only 1)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 317 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3733