MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Any Doctor Who fans here?
#257744 - 06/18/11 07:58 AM

I'm *finally* getting around to watching the "new" series, great stuff. I'm still working my way through the first season. Somehow I'd made it into my 30s without ever having seen more than a few bits and pieces of a Doctor Who episode, although I did watch all of Torchwood when it was on BBC America.

Is it me, or is the Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) *way* closer to Ford Prefect than Mos Def could ever hope to be? Right down to the off putting, slightly mad grin.

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Any Doctor Who fans here? new [Re: DMala]
#257755 - 06/18/11 01:35 PM

> I'm *finally* getting around to watching the "new" series, great stuff. I'm still
> working my way through the first season. Somehow I'd made it into my 30s without ever
> having seen more than a few bits and pieces of a Doctor Who episode, although I did
> watch all of Torchwood when it was on BBC America.
>
> Is it me, or is the Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) *way* closer to Ford Prefect
> than Mos Def could ever hope to be? Right down to the off putting, slightly mad grin.

Doctor Who is good stuff which afaik never really became popular in america.

But we've had all the very latest episodes here, now there is a break until the next lot is made.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Any Doctor Who fans here? new [Re: Robbbert]
#257756 - 06/18/11 01:44 PM

> Doctor Who is good stuff which afaik never really became popular in america.
>
> But we've had all the very latest episodes here, now there is a break until the next
> lot is made.

It was never really available in the US, except for an occasional run on PBS way back then.

The latest series started same day as in Britia, but they went and stuck a break in one week to show episodes from the previous one or two, causing the last couple episodes to potentially get spoilered. Here we are following along, then they jump ahead on us.

dfrance
Crazed Collector
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: The Black
Send PM

#257764 - 06/18/11 04:47 PM

> I'm *finally* getting around to watching the "new" series, great stuff. I'm still
> working my way through the first season. Somehow I'd made it into my 30s without ever
> having seen more than a few bits and pieces of a Doctor Who episode, although I did
> watch all of Torchwood when it was on BBC America.
>
> Is it me, or is the Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) *way* closer to Ford Prefect
> than Mos Def could ever hope to be? Right down to the off putting, slightly mad grin.

I discovered it to "in my 30s" just shortly after the reboot, and immediately became a OCD fan; reading all the novelizations in the order the show was aired, starting with the 1st doc, and collecting all the shows back to the aired & unaired pilots from 1963, all grouped by Doctor on a HD I have hooked to my "WD TV"...now I watch the episodes as the come out (but still haven't finished "catching up" from the 1st doctor)

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#257776 - 06/18/11 06:28 PM

OOOOOO my favorite show right now

The newer shows have a LOT more energy than the old ones. The older ones really drug by (still like them though). I understand why they did it (cost). But in many cases they would have 4 hours of show and like 1-2 hours of real stuff going on.

Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith have been straight up brilliant at their parts. Also the new writers you can tell REALLY like dr who. If you havent got to the Tennant stuff yet just wait he is seriously good. Smith is doing a decent job but has some big shoes to fill after Tennant. You could tell Tennant reallllllly liked the part. It showed. The latest season has surprised me in actually being not totally corny. I stopped watching the latest one though. Just going to wait for the dvd box set that will probably be out at the end of the year. Dont want any "spoilers". So I deliberately stay away from the Dr Who fan pages and stuff on youtube.

Also John Simm did a seriously cool job as the master. Way more smarmy and actually came off as someone who could do very evil things.

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Any Doctor Who fans here? new [Re: dfrance]
#257822 - 06/19/11 05:35 AM

, starting
> with the 1st doc, and collecting all the shows back to the aired & unaired pilots
> from 1963, all grouped by Doctor on a HD I have hooked to my "WD TV"...now I watch
> the episodes as the come out (but still haven't finished "catching up" from the 1st
> doctor)

It's such a pity that the BBC recorded over a bunch of early episodes, thus losing them for ever. Still, "unaired pilots" sounds interesting...

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Any Doctor Who fans here? new [Re: dfrance]
#257824 - 06/19/11 06:06 AM

> I discovered it to "in my 30s" just shortly after the reboot, and immediately became
> a OCD fan; reading all the novelizations in the order the show was aired, starting
> with the 1st doc, and collecting all the shows back to the aired & unaired pilots
> from 1963, all grouped by Doctor on a HD I have hooked to my "WD TV"...now I watch
> the episodes as the come out (but still haven't finished "catching up" from the 1st
> doctor)

That was part of the reason I didn't get into it sooner. With almost 50 years worth of history, I didn't know where to jump in. I finally figured there was enough of a gap at the start of the new series, and I'd read enough about the canon to get at least a reasonable percentage of the references and in-jokes.

I've still got a lot of new episodes to go through, we'll have to see how motivated I am to track down the earlier stuff when I'm done.

dfrance
Crazed Collector
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: The Black
Send PM

Re: Any Doctor Who fans here? new [Re: Robbbert]
#257865 - 06/19/11 11:42 PM

> , starting
> > with the 1st doc, and collecting all the shows back to the aired & unaired pilots
> > from 1963, all grouped by Doctor on a HD I have hooked to my "WD TV"...now I watch
> > the episodes as the come out (but still haven't finished "catching up" from the 1st
> > doctor)
>
> It's such a pity that the BBC recorded over a bunch of early episodes, thus losing
> them for ever. Still, "unaired pilots" sounds interesting...

Supposedly though, it's the only series in the audio still exists from every episode, they've cobbled some episodes together with stills like the Marco Polo episode where the original MP actor "recounts" the adventure writing a journal...sorta like they did with the 1937 "Lost Horizons" film, where pieces were audio only.

There still may be some video waiting to be discovered out there...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 293 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1093