View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

thehuntsmen5434
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/13/11
Send PM

Pretty much finished Cab. Now what...
#257204 - 06/13/11 02:29 PM

Recently finished my cab more or less, but it kinda looks bland. I like a simple approach with just 6 buttons, forced to use quarters to play, but now it just looks boring.

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m511/sdweim85/?action=view&current=IMG_20110603_164857.jpg

What affordable things could I do to "spice" it up. Artwork is a given, but its so expensive. I paid 100 for the cab itself, and I don't know if I want to double that just for side-art.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Pretty much finished Cab. Now what... new [Re: thehuntsmen5434]
#257223 - 06/13/11 05:13 PM

I would save money to put a bigger actual Arcade monitor in that cab and not worry so much about side things if it were me. Other than that very nice cab and now it's time to enjoy some games

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#257225 - 06/13/11 05:14 PM

If you look on eBay for side art etc. you can find some graphics for much cheaper than $100.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#257233 - 06/13/11 05:59 PM

I subscribe to the "less is more" theory of cabinet design so I like it a lot how it is. That said, some side art would definitely help.

thehuntsmen5434
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Pretty much finished Cab. Now what... new [Re: B2K24]
#257234 - 06/13/11 06:11 PM

I had a tube TV that was the perfect size, but I just didn't feel like going through all the trouble of mounting it. Plus I wouldn't of been able to fiddle with all the settings in windows because I can't read any of the text at the resolution it was set at. Not to mention it made a loud screeching noise when it was on that gave me a headache.

LCD solved too many issues at the cost of it not looking authentic, but it was a MAME cabinet so it wasn't authentic to begin with imo.

Yea, maybe your right though. Maybe its time to start enjoying the games, then stressing over the cabinet. I'll always see imperfection since I built it.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#257240 - 06/13/11 06:37 PM

Your cab is looking nice as it is. Some simplistic artwork on the side would make it look just that little bit as everyone has said.

As for screens, don't expect to read text on the screen, unless you use a PC CRT monitor.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

#257246 - 06/13/11 07:16 PM

> What affordable things could I do to "spice" it up. Artwork is a given, but its so
> expensive. I paid 100 for the cab itself, and I don't know if I want to double that
> just for side-art.

Nice job so far. FWIW, I'm also a fan of the less-is-more approach, but agree that sideart (something mine also lacks) would help.

One thing I did in my cab was to use a blacklight in the marquee. With some fiddling of the marquee art to make it suitably-reactive, it ended up with sort of a Tron look and feel to it. In a black cab (which mine also is), it comes across well in my opinion.

This probably wouldn't work on yours since the buttons appear to be black, but I do like low-intensity LEDs in them. It's a pretty fine line between too bright and too dim, though.

Other than that, maybe add a trackball and/or spinner and some side buttons. It may not sound like things like that do much for the visuals, but when done right they do add to the aesthetics.

Edited by casm (06/13/11 07:17 PM)

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Don't matta nao - use da HLSL, yo (nt) new [Re: Naoki]
#257301 - 06/14/11 04:03 AM

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#257306 - 06/14/11 05:16 AM Attachment: mame.jpg 182 KB (1 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Michigan, USA
Send PM

Re: Pretty much finished Cab. Now what... new [Re: krick]
#257592 - 06/16/11 05:42 PM

You could spend some time on the software side of things, playing with front-end alternatives, adding other emulators for systems you might be interested in, etc.
There are several console games, particularly fighters (if you like those) that lend themselves well to MAME cabs:

-PS1 (recommend ePSXe): Riden Project, Mortal Kombat Triloy, early Tekken titles
-Dreamcast (recommend NullDC): Soul Calibur (better than arcade), Mortal Kombat Gold (better version of MK4)
-Gamecube (Dolphin): Soul Calibur II, Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance & Deception
-PSII (PCSX2): Soul Calibur III, Contra: Shattered Soldier, later Tekken titles, Virtua Fighter IV Evolution, Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore
-Wii (Dolphin): Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Tatsunoko vs Capcom
-PC: Bionic Command Rearmed, Street Fighter IV (one of my favorites my cab right now), Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (releases in July), Street Fighter X Tekken (coming in 2012)

There is also the plethora of Sega Naomi and Sammy Atomiswave games that MAME runs very slowly but run great in Makaron (for Naomi) and Demul (for Atomiswave and Naomi vertical games).

That's just to get you started but there are many other games that could be playable in a cab and you might like.

Good luck!

thehuntsmen5434
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Pretty much finished Cab. Now what... new [Re: "The Manuel"]
#257596 - 06/16/11 06:10 PM

Yea, there's definitely a lot of games I want, that I haven't added that don't run great on MAME, but run better on other Emus. I'll have to try the Emulators you suggested.

Besides that though, I'm going to entirely change the art on the cabinet to Marvel vs Capcom 1.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 308 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2762