MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

So....if this is true,which moron is trying to ruin it for everyone?.....
#256407 - 06/03/11 10:57 AM

"There is now one member of the official Mame Team who expects to be paid for his work on MAME."

...seriously uncool, and if left unchallenged, probably the beginning of the end of MAME

This idiot should be shown the exit door...NOW.

PS.

Notice how the title says 'if true', because obviously i'd like to hear both sides of the story.

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

exaggerated due to rantmode/personal grudge/whatever, don't worry about it -nt new [Re: Ziggy100]
#256408 - 06/03/11 12:15 PM

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: So....if this is true,which moron is trying to ruin it for everyone?..... new [Re: Ziggy100]
#256409 - 06/03/11 12:18 PM

> "There is now one member of the official Mame Team who expects to be paid for his
> work on MAME."

If true, so what? MAME's existance is not contingent on one or even several members. If a 'member' wants to be paid and is not and quits the 'scene'...oh, well.

> ...seriously uncool, and if left unchallenged, probably the beginning of the end of
> MAME
>

I don't know if uncool, and I couldn't even fathom how much a product like MAME would cost spanning its history, time, development and resources; but a big *no* at it being the beginning of the end of MAME.

> This idiot should be shown the exit door...NOW.
>

I don't know if it's true and if the person is an idiot...But there is no door to show them. If a member no longer wishes to contribute to MAME because they're not being paid, so be it.

>
> PS.
>
> Notice how the title says 'if true', because obviously i'd like to hear both sides of
> the story.

Regardless if the statement/story is true or not, it truly is no big deal and nothing even worth mentioning outside of giving a huge thank you to the dozens upon dozens of MAME 'members' who have contributed to the project over the years freely; the project being a true labor of love.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: So... new [Re: Ziggy100]
#256410 - 06/03/11 12:34 PM

Malmanian
Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: スウェーデン
Send PM

Re: So....if this is true,which moron wrote this thread? new [Re: Robbbert]
#256412 - 06/03/11 12:49 PM

> Where did that quote come from?
>

If I'm not misstaken it comes from the bannister boards but it is indeed exaggerated beyond imagination so with that in mind take it with a grain of salt.

I personally think that donations should be allowed, not to a specific developer but to the entire MAME project on the official website, and the money can for example be used to run the servers, pay for the domain, buy rare undumped hardware etc.

The donation money could also be used to cover the (travel costs to gather all mamedevs under the same roof at least once a year or a big official MAME meeting or fan-gathering held in a different country each year now thats something I'm looking forward to.

Cheers

----
“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” --Albert Einstein

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: So....if this is true,which moron is trying to ruin it for everyone?..... new [Re: Ziggy100]
#256430 - 06/03/11 04:56 PM

It sounded like it was someone who works on MAME for free being asked to work on MAMEUI for money. I wouldn't work on someone else's frontend without getting paid either.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: So....if this is true,which moron wrote this thread? new [Re: Malmanian]
#256999 - 06/10/11 06:22 PM

Travel?

What's wrong with a webcam?

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: So....if this is true,which moron wrote this thread? new [Re: ]
#257002 - 06/10/11 07:15 PM

My thought too. Simple math, $30~60 plane tickets alone vs $10 Webcam. Plus, the "hosting room" would be free over net and they can hold them monthly or weekly or whenever than massive organizing.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: So....if this is true,which moron is trying to ruin it for everyone?..... new [Re: Trebor]
#257091 - 06/12/11 02:01 AM

> > "There is now one member of the official Mame Team who expects to be paid for his
> > work on MAME."
>
> If true, so what? MAME's existance is not contingent on one or even several members.
> If a 'member' wants to be paid and is not and quits the 'scene'...oh, well.
>
>
> > ...seriously uncool, and if left unchallenged, probably the beginning of the end of
> > MAME
> >
>
> I don't know if uncool, and I couldn't even fathom how much a product like MAME would
> cost spanning its history, time, development and resources; but a big *no* at it
> being the beginning of the end of MAME.
>
>
> > This idiot should be shown the exit door...NOW.
> >
>
> I don't know if it's true and if the person is an idiot...But there is no door to
> show them. If a member no longer wishes to contribute to MAME because they're not
> being paid, so be it.
>
> >
> > PS.
> >
> > Notice how the title says 'if true', because obviously i'd like to hear both sides
> of
> > the story.
>
> Regardless if the statement/story is true or not, it truly is no big deal and nothing
> even worth mentioning outside of giving a huge thank you to the dozens upon dozens of
> MAME 'members' who have contributed to the project over the years freely; the project
> being a true labor of love.

Well if you look at it in a different perspective, the fact someone wants remuneration for their coding time on Mame isn't that different then say a vendor cashing in on the Mame "Experience".

We have seen a wealth of cabinet vendors, controls suppliers and the like benefiting from Mame without a clear percentage being directed from profits, to the PCB fund.

Mame is quite a commercial entity in that light, so anyone wanting payment for their work on a free project isn't so hard to comprehend or understand...if it is true.

I would pay for a subscription of Mame. I'm sure others would agree.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Request: lock this topic, please (nt) new [Re: ]
#257172 - 06/13/11 04:07 AM

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: So....if this is true,which moron is trying to ruin it for everyone?..... new [Re: Trebor]
#257508 - 06/16/11 12:51 AM

> I couldn't even fathom how much a product like MAME would
> cost spanning its history, time, development and resources;

Someone did rough sums on this here (or on the old MAME forums when they existed) approx. 5 years or so ago .... IIRC, the cost to develop MAME as a paid project was in the millions back then. This cost does *not* include buying / dumping pcbs. And, a hell of a lot of work has gone into the MAME project since then.

I'd hazard a guess that as a commercial project, the current MAME would cost a *lot* more than $10 million to develop from scratch (jumping through the same hurdles that MAME Dev have - working on undocumented hardware, undocumented / nasty encryption schemes, etc).

If you factor in project plans, project managers, analysts, designers, formal analysis and design specifications with *everything* documented and specified *before* formal coding began, hardware analysis, pcb acquisition and dumping, testing, etc, then you would at least quadruple that figure. The people with the required skills are most certainly not run-of-the-mill software developers or university IT graduates, so expect to pay a premium for the very best developers / workers.

Given an average 3D game costs millions to develop these days, I would not be surprised if the current MAME costed a lot more than $50 million to develop under such a framework.

>I personally think that donations should be allowed, not to a specific developer
>but to the entire MAME project on the official website,

This was also discussed many times back in the early years of MAME, and back in the early days for other emulators (Dave Spicer's ground breaking Sparcade, Neil Bradley's excellent Retrocade, etc, etc). Options like these were mooted: cash, paid holidays, giving the devs some arcade games / pcbs once they were dumped, beer money, and many others.

It's a very nice idea.

During these discussions, IIRC, the following types of "issues" were raised:

* Lack of real interest (by us punters). It's hard enough to get people to donate to buy a game for dumping ...

* If someone does weeks / months of hard work and the donations only totaled $5, then that will feel like a kick in the guts.

* People also contemplated that *some* developers *might* concentrate on the popular hardware / games, to score more donations, leaving the rarer, older, more "in danger of being lost" games to oblivion.

* Also, if donations are anticipated / expected, then developing the emulator becomes a "paid job", and this would tend to suck the fun out of it, especially when donations are lean.

* and so on.

Anyway, that's just a little bit of history ....

Moose

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: So....if this is true,which moron is trying to ruin it for everyone?..... new [Re: Moose]
#257524 - 06/16/11 04:20 AM

Quote:

I'd hazard a guess that as a commercial project, the current MAME would cost a *lot* more than $10 million to develop from scratch (jumping through the same hurdles that...

...The people with the required skills are most certainly not run-of-the-mill software developers or university IT graduates, so expect to pay a premium for the very best developers / workers.

...Given an average 3D game costs millions to develop these days, I would not be surprised if the current MAME costed a lot more than $50 million to develop under such a framework.

Yes. Seems the kiddies don't understand these things, and (whether aware - likely not remotely) ardently support a retrogression into some capitalistic model scheme.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 342 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3014