MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

JustSaiyanPaul
Darkhunter
Reged: 02/23/11
Loc: Spartanburg, SC
Send PM

How powerful do you think the new PSP (NGP a.k.a. PSP2) will be?
#256347 - 06/03/11 02:54 AM

I'm a little bit excited about this new console coming out. The questions I'm asking about this are arcade-related. From what I read on Wiki, it says that it'll be using the ARM Cortex-A9 processor. Now, is that powerful enough to at least emulate Sega Model 2 games, and possibly the Model 3 Step 1.0 and 1.5 games? The Cortex-A9 has 4 cores. If not, I may not buy it.

I really hope it'll be possible, because I want to enjoy my favorite arcade games on the go. I can already play MvC on my PSP on the bus.

You axed for it, slam for it!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: How powerful do you think the new PSP (NGP a.k.a. PSP2) will be? new [Re: JustSaiyanPaul]
#256350 - 06/03/11 03:12 AM

> I'm a little bit excited about this new console coming out. The questions I'm asking
> about this are arcade-related. From what I read on Wiki, it says that it'll be using
> the ARM Cortex-A9 processor. Now, is that powerful enough to at least emulate Sega
> Model 2 games, and possibly the Model 3 Step 1.0 and 1.5 games? The Cortex-A9 has 4
> cores. If not, I may not buy it.

Pretty good ports of those games should be possible. Emulation is strongly unlikely. It comes in well under the specs that e.g. ElSemi's Model 2 emulator requires, and it's rumored Sony is slowing it down more now that it's well known how slow the Nintendo 3DS is.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: How powerful do you think the new PSP (NGP a.k.a. PSP2) will be? new [Re: JustSaiyanPaul]
#256371 - 06/03/11 05:01 AM

I would seriously just be happy with PS2 titles for NGP or PS2, just like what is currently available on the store (ps1 on psp)

NJ's emulators are most impressive aren't they
I have been using them since release and even to this day I'm still amazed by them when I launch a game.

I personally won't count on being able to run unsigned code on the new units for years, if at all even, so don't bother holding your breath on that one. Of course anything is possible though.

Hopefully this time around a way will exist to support homebrew without opening the floodgates to piracy.
I also won't hold my breath on that one though.

JustSaiyanPaul
Darkhunter
Reged: 02/23/11
Loc: Spartanburg, SC
Send PM

Re: How powerful do you think the new PSP (NGP a.k.a. PSP2) will be? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#256423 - 06/03/11 04:00 PM

I'll have to wait and see about this myself.

You axed for it, slam for it!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 244 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1555