View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

Replacing SLI video cards
#256228 - 06/01/11 06:45 PM

I have a couple of XFX 8800GTS SLI cards. I'm looking for a couple of replacements. Anyone have any recommendations? It looks as though XFX is getting out of the card business.

Any recommendations for a new set of cards?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Replacing SLI video cards new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#256232 - 06/01/11 07:32 PM

> I have a couple of XFX 8800GTS SLI cards. I'm looking for a couple of replacements.
> Anyone have any recommendations? It looks as though XFX is getting out of the card
> business.
>
> Any recommendations for a new set of cards?

I would go with 1GB ASUS ENGTX460's:
http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGTX460_DirectCU_TOP2DI1GD5/
I don't know (and don't care) if there is a better ATI alternative.

S

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Replacing SLI video cards new [Re: Sune]
#256234 - 06/01/11 07:45 PM

> > I have a couple of XFX 8800GTS SLI cards. I'm looking for a couple of replacements.
> > Anyone have any recommendations? It looks as though XFX is getting out of the card
> > business.
> >
> > Any recommendations for a new set of cards?
>
> I would go with 1GB ASUS ENGTX460's:
> http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGTX460_DirectCU_TOP2DI1GD5/
> I don't know (and don't care) if there is a better ATI alternative.
>
> S

I would personally go with EVGA instead, but it's all about the warranty at this point.

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

Re: Replacing SLI video cards new [Re: Foxhack]
#256235 - 06/01/11 07:55 PM

I had returned 2 680i EVGA via RMA before I decided to get the Asus board I have now. I'm not sure how their video cards are.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Replacing SLI video cards new [Re: Foxhack]
#256236 - 06/01/11 07:58 PM

> > http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGTX460_DirectCU_TOP2DI1GD5/

> I would personally go with EVGA instead, but it's all about the warranty at this
> point.

Oh yeah for sure, I forgot about the EVGA lifetime warranty. Be warned, this is a bit of a jungle as IIRC there are very specific models EVGA GTX 460s that have the lifetime warranty, and the rest don't, so make sure to get the right one and send in the warranty card before 30 days (or whatever) etc etc.

I have that ASUS card (not the TOP model though). I didn't buy EVGA because their warranty isn't valid in Brazil anyway.

S

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Replacing SLI video cards new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#256237 - 06/01/11 08:09 PM

> I had returned 2 680i EVGA via RMA before I decided to get the Asus board I have now.
> I'm not sure how their video cards are.

If you have an ASUS motherboard, definitely get the ASUS cards. ASUS offers a butt ugly but very useful utility called Smart Doctor that you can use to (automatically) control the cards clocks, fans etc, very nice for keeping everything cool when you're not gaming. Smart Doctor can work in tandem with their "EPU-six engine" motherboard software which you can then have automatically over- and underclock your whole system (not just your CPU) on demand.

I've always disliked that type of software and at first I thought it sounded like something that could explode in your face at any minute but it's stable and works very very well for me on 64-bit Windows 7 on my ASUS P5Q-E.

S

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

If having, let alone worrying about, a lifetime warranty is a factor.... new [Re: Sune]
#256279 - 06/02/11 02:39 AM

I wouldn't buy from that vendor. Now if they all sucked to some degree...well, that would indicate far more sinister things in the world, but that's another, grimmer topic...then I'd pick from who offered the best warranty.

If I was even buying anything, of course. My P4 is four years old and still I have absolutely no reason to upgrade.

No, I don't use LCDs, so HLSL isn't a reason. And I'm not compiling often, and may be much less so....

In any case, from what I've seen, and given my instincts, I'd say go Asus over EVGA any day. Oh, this PC here is an Asus board, and I've kinda put it through some hell.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1402