MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Are there people that HATE classical music?
#256171 - 05/31/11 06:04 PM

Reason why I ask is that I feel like classical music is a "universal" music. You may not be a big fan of it, but I think that for just about everyone it's at least pleasing to the ear to listen to.

Specifically in the case of the grocery store. They play the worst smooth jazz and easy listening music in the world, and you're stuck listening to it while you shop. It's not pleasing at all to listen to, and escalates my frustration of grocery shopping in the first place. Maybe it's done on purpose to get you out of the store...in which case it does the trick.

Would anyone be equally annoyed if classical music were played in public spaces instead of listening to Imagine, by John Lennon covered by flutes and a cheesy synth?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Are there people that HATE classical music? new [Re: Hizzout]
#256174 - 05/31/11 06:44 PM

I don't know that I'd say I hate any of it but it varies in quality like just about all other types of music. There's even some Beethoven I don't particularly care to ever hear again. Agreed on the grocery store scene but I've heard much worse music in one than elevator music and uncontrollably blurted out "ahhh I can't believe anybody likes this song".

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#256175 - 05/31/11 06:51 PM

There was a guy at work who kept putting classical music on the radio for background music. Some is OK. In some of the 'music' they played, the violins sounded like fucking fingernails on a chalkboard. That shit really got on my nerves. I frequently turned the radio off which in turn pissed him off. That was two pluses. I got rid of that crappy sound and pissed him off with one flick of the switch.

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

#256193 - 06/01/11 12:23 AM

> Specifically in the case of the grocery store...

The Meijer I shop at tends to play popular music "as performed by..." Very frustrating when a song I like comes on.

As for classical, I can't tell my Beethovens from my Mozarts, but I do enjoy listening to it. Puts me to sleep, but that's a good thing in this case.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#256211 - 06/01/11 04:02 AM

I listen to classical all day at work and sometimes during the afternoon commute. I find it has a calming effect. I'm also learning a couple classical piano pieces: Für Elise (Beethoven) and Piano Sonata No. 16 (Mozart).

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: Are there people that HATE classical music? new [Re: redk9258]
#256291 - 06/02/11 03:34 AM

> There was a guy at work who kept putting classical music on the radio for background
> music. Some is OK. In some of the 'music' they played, the violins sounded like
> fucking fingernails on a chalkboard.

That might've been some later period Art music. As I was saying today to one of the staff at Trader Joe's (which had the sat on some 60s/80s mix channel...) in a discussion about Art music, and what's actually 'avant-garde': most people STILL don't have the tools to comprehend early 20th century Schoenberg.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Alex DeLarge is none to fond of some of it. new [Re: Hizzout]
#256337 - 06/02/11 09:47 PM

Jumped out a second story window to avoid listening to it, he did.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

PACHELBEL CANON SUCKS new [Re: Hizzout]
#256377 - 06/03/11 05:33 AM

> Reason why I ask is that I feel like classical music is a "universal" music. You may
> not be a big fan of it, but I think that for just about everyone it's at least
> pleasing to the ear to listen to.
>
> Specifically in the case of the grocery store. They play the worst smooth jazz and
> easy listening music in the world, and you're stuck listening to it while you shop.
> It's not pleasing at all to listen to, and escalates my frustration of grocery
> shopping in the first place. Maybe it's done on purpose to get you out of the
> store...in which case it does the trick.
>
> Would anyone be equally annoyed if classical music were played in public spaces
> instead of listening to Imagine, by John Lennon covered by flutes and a cheesy synth?

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Alex DeLarge is none to fond of some of it. new [Re: GatKong]
#256399 - 06/03/11 09:24 AM

> Jumped out a second story window to avoid listening to >it, he did.

That kind of stuff goes beyond my line of 'in the line of work'. Of course, he did Caligula, too...

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

Re: PACHELBEL CANON...isn't Classical, it's Baroque. -nt- new [Re: Foxhack]
#256411 - 06/03/11 12:47 PM

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

I thought of pulling the 'period' card, but decided they wasn't a reason.... new [Re: igamabob]
#256477 - 06/04/11 09:35 AM

I try not to even acknowledge Pachelbell...wait....I think I remember that I read somewhere he didn't really care for the piece, and that it was more of a joke - kind of like Ravel's Bolero (ha, if chumps...erm, folks knew that) - or maybe I just intuited that (about P - the Ravel is documented).

The Culture

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

Are there people that HATE Schoenberg? new [Re: mogli]
#256514 - 06/05/11 12:39 AM

> most people today
> STILL don't have the tools to comprehend early 20th century Schoenberg.

I remember vaguely studying him in my Bachelor degree, but that doesn't mean BMus students have to enjoy Shoenberg's music. You certainly won't find any on MY iPod!

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Are there people that HATE Schoenberg? new [Re: Mojo2000]
#256622 - 06/06/11 11:04 AM

> > most people
> > STILL don't have the tools to comprehend early 20th century Schoenberg.
>
> I remember vaguely studying him in my Bachelor degree, but that doesn't mean BMus
> students have to enjoy Shoenberg's music. You certainly won't find any on MY iPod!

Mm. Preference is not necessarily even correlative with quality.

The Culture

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 462 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1493