MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Flynn
Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

Depixelizing pixel art
#255737 - 05/27/11 08:55 AM

Maybe the wrong board.

http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~danix/
http://www.golem.de/1105/83740.html
-Flynn

Edited by Flynn (05/27/11 08:56 AM)

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Depixelizing pixel art new [Re: Flynn]
#255752 - 05/27/11 02:24 PM

> Maybe the wrong board.
>
> http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~danix/
> http://www.golem.de/1105/83740.html
> -Flynn

I was going to try the same thing with MUGEN a few days earlier, however I was practically laughed off their forum, with people saying that no-one would ever convert "their" hard work (e.g. ripping Capcom's CPS sprites and leaving them unedited, save for palette mods, in that stupid 1:1 384x224 format is 'hard work').

My suggestion was to use the SVG format, which would look good in any resolution (note that the MUGEN kiddies just love running the game in 1080p widescreen, yet still use graphics designed for a 15KHz, 4:3 arcade monitor) and also allow for a proper standard to be made, so all characters can be sized correctly regardless of the game they were originally from (e.g. MK series characters will always tower over Street Fighter characters). But no, they want to stay in 1992 and use 256-color PCX format images, all jammed inside a proprietary container format so that they can use separate still images as animation. Note that SVG natively supports animation, and can also embed raster images as a fallback, if they really need.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Depixelizing pixel art new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#256144 - 05/31/11 01:50 PM

> I was going to try the same thing with MUGEN a few days earlier, however I was
> practically laughed off their forum, with people saying that no-one would ever
> convert "their" hard work (e.g. ripping Capcom's CPS sprites and leaving them
> unedited, save for palette mods, in that stupid 1:1 384x224 format is 'hard work').
>
> My suggestion was to use the SVG format, which would look good in any resolution
> (note that the MUGEN kiddies just love running the game in 1080p widescreen, yet
> still use graphics designed for a 15KHz, 4:3 arcade monitor) and also allow for a
> proper standard to be made, so all characters can be sized correctly regardless of
> the game they were originally from (e.g. MK series characters will always tower over
> Street Fighter characters). But no, they want to stay in 1992 and use 256-color PCX
> format images, all jammed inside a proprietary container format so that they can use
> separate still images as animation. Note that SVG natively supports animation, and
> can also embed raster images as a fallback, if they really need.

I can't deny it looks great but just as interlaced video and NTSC/PAL signal quality, 2D sprites are a thing from the past. However I can see the benefits of having old sprites as vectored images in order for fixing issues like aspect ratio and size.

Those were the days polygons looked like crap and everyone preferred a good old drawn sprite instead of a low polygon count model you could barely distinguish its appearance. However and even today, a new costume for a 2D character means only a palette swap or a complete new set of sprites and/or overlay sprites. On the other hand a 3D model today has enough quality because of its acceptable high polygon count, takes less time and effort to design, consumes less memory and gets more variety and animations than pixel drawing. I can't understand why people still prefers 2D pixel art over 3D modeling (I'm looking at you SNK Playmore/Arc System Works and your lack of fluid animations because of such primitive game design). You understand that behavior for low resolution screens and low processing power machines (like handhelds). But for today PCs, game consoles and arcade machines that is unacceptable.

Note I'm talking about 2D pixel art, not 2D art.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: Depixelizing pixel art new [Re: BIOS-D]
#256295 - 06/02/11 03:55 AM

> Note I'm talking about 2D pixel art, not 2D art.

I'm glad you made that distinction. Still, um, you've heard the word 'retro'? I get happy playing early 80s games. I have no care for RPGs of any flavor, let alone visually gussied-up ones.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Depixelizing pixel art new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#256553 - 06/05/11 08:20 PM

> > Maybe the wrong board.
> >
> > http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~danix/
> > http://www.golem.de/1105/83740.html
> > -Flynn
>
> I was going to try the same thing with MUGEN a few days earlier, however I was
> practically laughed off their forum, with people saying that no-one would ever
> convert "their" hard work (e.g. ripping Capcom's CPS sprites and leaving them
> unedited, save for palette mods, in that stupid 1:1 384x224 format is 'hard work').
>
> My suggestion was to use the SVG format, which would look good in any resolution
> (note that the MUGEN kiddies just love running the game in 1080p widescreen, yet
> still use graphics designed for a 15KHz, 4:3 arcade monitor) and also allow for a
> proper standard to be made, so all characters can be sized correctly regardless of
> the game they were originally from (e.g. MK series characters will always tower over
> Street Fighter characters). But no, they want to stay in 1992 and use 256-color PCX
> format images, all jammed inside a proprietary container format so that they can use
> separate still images as animation. Note that SVG natively supports animation, and
> can also embed raster images as a fallback, if they really need.

I agree that either a. MUGEN needs a complete rewrite or b. someone needs to come up with a new MUGEN competitor that's modern and all, but certainly most people interested in seeing that are not capable of creating it.

- Stiletto

crowlos
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/27/05
Send PM

Re: Depixelizing pixel art new [Re: Flynn]
#256556 - 06/05/11 09:23 PM

The problem is that this filter looks like shit, and it usually fails to capture the spirit of the original artwork.

Let the old games be what they are. If you want to make a pretty new 2D game, use vector art.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 226 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2697