MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

copious
Reged: 11/01/04
Send PM

Ultimate Front End
#254572 - 05/15/11 03:37 AM

So I built my cab more than 6 years ago and used MAMEWAH for the front end while I like it it's time for an upgrade.

Which is the best front end for MAME and 'other' emulators in 2011?

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Ultimate Front End new [Re: copious]
#254573 - 05/15/11 03:52 AM

These days, I think Hyperspin is getting all the attention.

Beware, however, that if you're planning on using Hyperspin with GroovyMAME and Calamity's patched ATI drivers.

There's some sort of a bug in Hyperspin that prevents it from loading when you use the patched ATI drivers. I'm currently trying to figure out if there's a workaround.

If you've not checked out GroovyMAME, you really need to check it out. It's primarily aimed at people running arcade monitors. The big feature is that it has on-the-fly resolution configuration. Remember when you had to create custom ini files for every game? You don't have to do that anymore with GroovyMAME. It also has some other handy features like SoundSync and CleanStretch.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

GatKong
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#254580 - 05/15/11 04:16 AM

I used to advocate MaLa... but it's glitchy.. and I'm kinda done with it, and also looking for a new front end.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: Ultimate Front End new [Re: GatKong]
#254617 - 05/15/11 05:16 PM

Same. Used MaLa for a long time but it's been flaky of late.

Took a look at HyperSpin but that requires a metric ton of additional stuff to look decent and would want me to rename console sets..

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Ultimate Front End new [Re: Firehawke]
#254620 - 05/15/11 05:29 PM

HyperSpin looks like it would be ideal for a multi-user "party cab" of 100 or fewer games but for scrolling through thousands of games, I don't think so (even if they have themes for that many which I highly doubt).

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: Ultimate Front End new [Re: Smitdogg]
#254621 - 05/15/11 05:35 PM

Well, they've got themes on a per-console basis, and much like MaLa you can go forward a page at a time, but that does still take a bit if you're going from A to Z.

Maybe I should just suck it up and grab the necessary extras (and look into renaming roms, since HyperSpin wants everything in No-Intro naming schema and my existing sets go back to when Good* was still being updated routinely..)

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Ultimate Front End new [Re: Smitdogg]
#254632 - 05/15/11 08:46 PM

I enjoy HS for many Console systems, but I feel GameEX is the best for MAME weather you're using PC or cab.

The choices in configuration and they way it renders all the EXTRAs especially, the Arcade Manual PDFs are amazing.

It has many filter options (clones, adult games, mahjong) and custom menus to only show a specific listing of games.
(neo-geo, CPS, Atari, originals)

Cable
retro gamer
Reged: 08/30/08
Loc: UK
Send PM

#254641 - 05/16/11 12:27 AM

I use hyperspin its the most visually impresive multi emu frontend ive tried. Ive got mame all sega, nintendo emulators etc. Each game has box art and a preview vids. Its really got my kids into trying "dads old games"

FatTrucker
Randomly pressing buttons in hope of success.
Reged: 01/31/06
Loc: London UK
Send PM

#254680 - 05/16/11 05:47 PM

> So I built my cab more than 6 years ago and used MAMEWAH for the front end while I
> like it it's time for an upgrade.
>
> Which is the best front end for MAME and 'other' emulators in 2011?

For everyday use IMO Mamewah is still the way to go. With the right skins, music and preview vids it still looks great and its ideal for quick browsing of gamelists and the quick and easy filter options make it cake to produce filtered lists and switch between emulators.

Hyperspin is absolutely fantastic as a showcase FE, but when its just you and the machine and you just fancy a game, you do start to wonder if its worth all the setting up involved, and that's if you're running it on a PC that will handle it in the first place. Great for about 10 minutes of Wow!, then you start getting a bit fed up with it.

dosmame
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Fall River, Canada
Send PM

Re: Ultimate Front End new [Re: FatTrucker]
#255406 - 05/24/11 03:33 PM

+1 for mamewah.....it just depends on how much effort you're willing to put into it

here's a short vid of my cab running mamewah with a custom layout I designed

http://dosmame.mameworld.info/index.php/Special_Blog?cmd=post&id=18

http://dosmame.mameworld.info

ASUS P5W, INTEL Q6700 @ 3.2GHz, Nvidia 8800, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 x64, J-PAC, Capcom Final Fight Cab

H4CK3R
Hyperspin Freak
Reged: 07/31/11
Loc: Las Vegas
Send PM

Re: Ultimate Front End new [Re: FatTrucker]
#261145 - 07/31/11 08:46 PM

>. Great for about 10 minutes of Wow!, then you start getting a bit fed
> up with it.

Sorry new here, I have been running Hyperspin for 3 years, and yes its a pain to set up the first time. But well worth it.

You can set it up to just hold your favorites, or scroll through the alphabet by holding the joystick left or right a, b, c, d...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS9hIKV7tXo

When I host parties, or have guests over, its hard to get them off the machine.

H4CK3R

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 285 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5509