MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

has anyone ever watched the ENTIRE Dragonball Z Series?!?
#253211 - 04/29/11 02:46 AM

I've always been curious, but have never had the patience to because it's SO damn long and drawn out.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: has anyone ever watched the ENTIRE Dragonball Z Series?!? new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#253218 - 04/29/11 03:33 AM

> I've always been curious, but have never had the patience to because it's SO damn
> long and drawn out.

You would be clinically insane by the end of it.

I'm convinced the plot of that show was transcribed directly from a bunch of small children playing with action figures. I like anime and all, but I can't take that show for more than a few minutes at a time. Fortunately, you can watch five minutes every ten episodes and still not miss anything important.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: has anyone ever watched the ENTIRE Dragonball Z Series?!? new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#253220 - 04/29/11 03:42 AM

> I've always been curious, but have never had the patience to because it's SO damn
> long and drawn out.

You think that's drawn out?

Go watch Detective Conan/Case Closed, over 610 episodes and counting.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#253221 - 04/29/11 04:06 AM

> long and drawn out.

lol

My 19 year old stepson. You want me to ask him how it ends?

S

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: has anyone ever watched the ENTIRE Dragonball Z Series?!? new [Re: Master O]
#253227 - 04/29/11 05:07 AM

> Go watch Detective Conan/Case Closed, over 610 episodes and counting.

You know, actually, I was doing that. I'm up to episode... 55 should be the next one to watch.

Recently I had watched Kenichi, History's Strongest Disciple, and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

The reason I'm watching Case Closed is because I did use to watch it when it was on Adult Swim (back when they had a T.V. for us to watch at work). The one thing that has always bothered me was - this being a show based on noticing details, but whenever Conan puts Richard to sleep... His lips aren't moving! >:-[

But I go along with it.

Eh, I'm keeping count on the episodes with a small rope and beads, 2 knots tied in it (actually 4, 2 on the ends, 1 between every 3rd), using it like an abacus. Goes up to 1099.

LEVEL-4

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

#253235 - 04/29/11 07:07 AM

> long and drawn out.

If you're really curious, read the original comics (manga). That's what I did when I was a teenager (I read them in French--this was before the series had hit the English-speaking world) You get the story without having to spend a substantial fraction of your entire mortal lifespan in front of a TV

And if you are going to read them, start from the very beginning ("Dragon Ball") The American publisher pretends that DB and DBZ are two separate series, but it's really one continuous story. If you start from what the American publisher calls "Volume 1" of "Dragon Ball Z", you won't know who anybody is. Also, the early volumes are more fun to read--believe it or not, Dragon Ball started out as almost a pure comedy manga filled with genre-parodying, toilet and sex humour, and fourth-wall breaking.

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: has anyone ever watched the ENTIRE Dragonball Z Series?!? new [Re: AWJ]
#253236 - 04/29/11 07:14 AM

> And if you are going to read them, start from the very beginning ("Dragon Ball") The
> American publisher pretends that DB and DBZ are two separate series, but it's really
> one continuous story. If you start from what the American publisher calls "Volume 1"
> of "Dragon Ball Z", you won't know who anybody is. Also, the early volumes are more
> fun to read--believe it or not, Dragon Ball started out as almost a pure comedy manga
> filled with genre-parodying, toilet and sex humour, and fourth-wall breaking.

Even if you plan to watch the anime, you should start with Dragon Ball. It's a lot funnier (especially if you appreciate off-colour toilet and sex jokes), but more importantly, it's actually episodic - situations arise and are resolved within an episode or two. DBZ was really an exercise in how many episodes they could milk out of the source material.

How many Super Saiyan does it take to change a lightbulb?
Only one, but it takes ten episodes!

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#253240 - 04/29/11 08:37 AM

> long and drawn out.

Here is a tip, however it's a bit complicated. If you have access to the entire collection and you want to watch the whole series on one sit without getting bored, you only need to watch the last 30 seconds before the credits of every episode. You know every anime episode has a preview for the next episode, right? Well, it turns out on Dragon Ball Z every preview in reality is a summary of the whole episode. No surprises or event turns, everything is described there. You only watch the episode for pointless action scenes and long explanations about anything.

I used to enjoy long anime runs, but this one really killed it for me. I had to wait a month of daily episodes for Freeza and Cell battles to end. I'm more than happy anime today usually lasts 12 episodes... when I used to watch anime, not anymore in years.

Off topic, but related. Here's one for Spanish/Mexican people:

http://mentesenfermas.com.mx/toons/drgoku8.html

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: has anyone ever watched the ENTIRE Dragonball Z Series?!? new [Re: AWJ]
#253241 - 04/29/11 08:37 AM

> Dragon Ball started out as almost a pure comedy manga
> filled with genre-parodying, toilet and sex humour, and fourth-wall breaking.

I also liked that part much more than DBZ [1] and that's why I quite like the end of DBZ: the Majin Buu plot is pretty comical too

Anyway, nothing will beat Toriyama's 'Dr. Slump' series

[1] that's why I only read One Piece among recent manga series

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Anyone watching more than five minutes I have serious concern for...and over... (nt) new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#253380 - 05/01/11 01:34 AM

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 109 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1336