MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Michigan, USA
Send PM

Do processors lose performance over time?
#252769 - 04/25/11 03:19 AM

I've been rerunning some benchmarks on MAME recently, wiht my computer, and noticed a slight decrease in performance compared to 2.5 yers ago. I've run the exact same MAME binary with the exact same command line, ignoring the config file. My OS is the same as before and the processor is overclocked to the same speed (50% OC). When I look at my Task Manager, there is nothing using CPU cycles, except the typical idle processes.
When I run mace (old version of the CHD, as before) for 90 sec, I get an average of 124%, very repeatedly, whereas before, I would get 129%.

This drop of 5 percentage points is not really much of a concern, but I'm rather curious as to whether this could be the processor losing capability after years of heavy use.

Is this possible?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Do processors lose performance over time? new [Re: "The Manuel"]
#252770 - 04/25/11 03:38 AM

Seems so, I've noticed a similar drop in a lot shorter time period than 2.5 years too. Someone might reply saying it's because your Windows is more bogged down now but that isn't necessarily the case.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Do processors lose performance over time? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#252771 - 04/25/11 03:49 AM

> Seems so, I've noticed a similar drop in a lot shorter time period than 2.5 years
> too. Someone might reply saying it's because your Windows is more bogged down now but
> that isn't necessarily the case.

In fact, the OP states "the same version of Windows" - assuming he means not just XP-Vista-7 changes but also the same Service Packs, the same critical security fixes... then his judgment is sound. But that all goes out the window (heh) if that's not the case.

A way to test: image the system - wait 2.5 years - restore the backup. Disallow any updates. Test.

- Stiletto

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Do processors lose performance over time? new [Re: Stiletto]
#252772 - 04/25/11 03:57 AM

I noticed a small performance decrease in benchmarking software on my overclocked C2D after running tons of processor heavy stability tests over a few weeks without installing any Windows updates and found other people having the same issues from Googling it. It happens. Small price to pay for what the C2D delivered for the buck though.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#252776 - 04/25/11 04:09 AM

Maybe there's fuzz in the fan or something causing the temperature to rise. I agree with Stiletto, You have to run the exact same configuration to compare. Maybe the comparison should be done right after a cold boot too not after your PC has been on for a week vs. an hour.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Do processors lose performance over time? new [Re: redk9258]
#252777 - 04/25/11 04:12 AM

I did run the exact same test and was rebooting often. It happens, Google it. I'm done here.

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

#252778 - 04/25/11 04:23 AM

Thanks for the feedback on this.
I am pretty sure I had the same service pack back then, since I conducted the tests in Sep and Oct of 2008 and SP3 had already come out. That's what I have now and I typically install the SP's as soon as they come out. That being said, I've never seem much difference in performance by having less or more programs installed in my computer. I once when through all the trouble of stripping down my XP installation as much as possible with nLite, and did not see a bit of difference running MAME.
I agree that the small degradation in performance, if indeed due to the processor aging, is negligible, compared to having this processor running at 2.7GHz, for such little cost, when I purchased in Sping, 2007.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavour (On the Bedpost Overnight?) new [Re: Smitdogg]
#252781 - 04/25/11 04:45 AM

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavour (On the Bedpost Overnight?) new [Re: krick]
#252782 - 04/25/11 04:55 AM

No it actually gains flavor because I fart into it in my sleep.

Solstar
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/08
Send PM

#252793 - 04/25/11 10:59 AM

i think that having an overclocked processor won't help things either..

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#252797 - 04/25/11 12:55 PM

Would explain why my P4s are having trouble running Metal Slug and Mega Drive games whereas but with no problems unlike now.... Really should get a replacement LGA board so I can move away from museum hardware 8|

Edited by Naoki (04/25/11 12:58 PM)

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#252814 - 04/25/11 06:11 PM

> Thanks for the feedback on this.
> I am pretty sure I had the same service pack back then, since I conducted the tests
> in Sep and Oct of 2008 and SP3 had already come out. That's what I have now and I
> typically install the SP's as soon as they come out. That being said, I've never seem
> much difference in performance by having less or more programs installed in my
> computer. I once when through all the trouble of stripping down my XP installation as
> much as possible with nLite, and did not see a bit of difference running MAME.
> I agree that the small degradation in performance, if indeed due to the processor
> aging, is negligible, compared to having this processor running at 2.7GHz, for such
> little cost, when I purchased in Sping, 2007.

I wonder, have you cleaned the case out recently? Are all of the fans spinning at the proper speed? Is the environment the machine is in warmer than it used to be? Dust can be a hell of an insulator, and a subtly failing CPU fan could raise the temps just enough to cause the processor to start throttling, which would account for the loss of performance.

I'm not saying it's impossible that an overclocked processor loses performance over time, I really have no idea. It's just that something like thermal throttling seems like a much more likely possibility, to me.

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

Re: Do processors lose performance over time? new [Re: DMala]
#252815 - 04/25/11 06:16 PM

> I wonder, have you cleaned the case out recently? Are all of the fans spinning at the
> proper speed? Is the environment the machine is in warmer than it used to be? Dust
> can be a hell of an insulator, and a subtly failing CPU fan could raise the temps
> just enough to cause the processor to start throttling, which would account for the
> loss of performance.
>

That's an interesting idea, although I did clean it recently a few weeks ago and installed a new heat sink and fan, since I was getting occasional lockups with the old one. I think that would be easy to verify by running MAME in a window and keeping CPU-Z open, showing the processor speed.

ninten
Reged: 11/09/04
Send PM

#252889 - 04/26/11 03:54 AM

looks like transistor switching speeds can decrease over time

http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/processors/transistor-aging

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#252890 - 04/26/11 04:02 AM

> My OS is the same as before and the processor is overclocked to the same speed (50% OC)

> I (...) installed a new heat sink and fan, since I was getting occasional lockups with the old one.

In other words, you've been running the CPU at a massive overclock for an extended period of time with insufficient, broken cooling.

S

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Do processors lose performance over time? new [Re: Naoki]
#253068 - 04/27/11 09:27 PM

You know I had the same problem with my P3 and Dkong. Once it ran 100% full fps. Now after a few years later the same P3 now runs Dkong at a crawl.

I'm just glad I upgraded.....

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Do processors lose performance over time? new [Re: ]
#253097 - 04/28/11 01:48 AM

I have the new processor, just need a working board for it. Funny how free stuff doesn't always work..

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 161 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3235