MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

You know, I'm all for saving the planet as much as the next guy...
#252052 - 04/18/11 12:54 AM Attachment: solarkb.jpg 190 KB (2 downloads)

But I can see myself beating a wannahippie to death with this thing. (Although I'm sure I'd have to use the edge, unlike my good old Model M here which I could just drop on someone.)

Am I jaded?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Re: You know, I'm all for saving the planet as much as the next guy... new [Re: aavada]
#252054 - 04/18/11 01:10 AM

> But I can see myself beating a wannahippie to death with this thing. (Although I'm
> sure I'd have to use the edge, unlike my good old Model M here which I could just
> drop on someone.)
>
> Am I jaded?

I think its more about the batteries in your wireless keyboard not running out in the middle of a death match or whatever, the eco-friendly thing is just tacked on because, y'know you could just use a regular wired keyboard and not be hurting Gaia any more

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

could be worse new [Re: aavada]
#252059 - 04/18/11 01:58 AM

> But I can see myself beating a wannahippie to death with this thing. (Although I'm
> sure I'd have to use the edge, unlike my good old Model M here which I could just
> drop on someone.)
>
> Am I jaded?

I'm not that much of a hippie and I think that's pretty cool.

I think I'd want to kill somebody if it came with its own windmill instead of solar cells.

I'd like to see it working in the dark for three months like the blurb says. How did they test that? Did they place one in a dark room for three months and had some dude walk in and type something every once in a while?

S

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: could be worse new [Re: Sune]
#252072 - 04/18/11 03:21 AM

> I'd like to see it working in the dark for three months like the blurb says. How did
> they test that? Did they place one in a dark room for three months and had some dude
> walk in and type something every once in a while?

Yeah, it sounds as practical as a solar panel only flashlight. There's a reason they come additionally with a crank.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: You know, I'm all for saving the planet as much as the next guy... new [Re: aavada]
#252075 - 04/18/11 03:53 AM

> drop on someone.)
>
> Am I jaded?

The whole "green" angle seems pretty lame, since you could use a wired keyboard which doesn't require any external power.

I've also never quite understood the whole wireless keyboard thing, anyway. I guess it makes sense for a living room PC. Other than that, though, when are you ever more than a couple of feet away from your tower?

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: You know, I'm all for saving the planet as much as the next guy... new [Re: DMala]
#252082 - 04/18/11 05:42 AM

> > But I can see myself beating a wannahippie to death with this thing. (Although I'm
> > sure I'd have to use the edge, unlike my good old Model M here which I could just
> > drop on someone.)
> >
> > Am I jaded?
>
> The whole "green" angle seems pretty lame, since you could use a wired keyboard which
> doesn't require any external power.
>
> I've also never quite understood the whole wireless keyboard thing, anyway. I guess
> it makes sense for a living room PC. Other than that, though, when are you ever more
> than a couple of feet away from your tower?

The 3-month thing would never get tested since you've got it lit by your LCD.

Probably as "3-month" as Creative's first 24-bit sound cards were "24-bit" (that is, "not," for those who've forgotten the first Audigy).

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: You know, I'm all for saving the planet as much as the next guy... new [Re: DMala]
#252090 - 04/18/11 09:41 AM

A wired kayboard uses power too. I never read up on it but it's probably not too much less than a wireless one.

So the green part comes from not having to buy (and dispose of) batteries all the time, while also using the Sun's energy instead of paying the electric company that .025 cents a month for the power your wired keyboard uses) Multiply that by hoever many million keyboards are in use in the US alone and it actually does add up to quite a bit.

Why wireless? Less messy. The back of my computer desk is a freaking spiderweb because I've given up on tying and wrapping cables. Speaking of... I think it would be cool if they had a mouse that went with it as well. The solar cells could be placed around the base and it could be a pretty cool look.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Re: You know, I'm all for saving the planet as much as the next guy... new [Re: URherenow]
#252149 - 04/19/11 04:35 AM

> So the green part comes from not having to buy (and dispose
> of) batteries all the time

That's what really annoys me about this stuff. They say crap like, "no need for batteries make a big difference for mother Earth" but there IS a battery in there. What is that called... Oh yeah, LYING.

The k750 will not work without the battery installed. The solar panels charge the ML2032, which in turn powers the keyboard.

It's all "look at me I'm saving Mother Earth!" bullshit. You want to save mother earth, rescue a keyboard that someone is throwing away. Oh wait, that's not sexy.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 171 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1759