MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKong
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

C64 is back!
#251180 - 04/07/11 07:21 PM Attachment: Commodore 64.JPG 154 KB (1 downloads)

Quote:

The new iteration of the classic computer won't run Windows (although the company claims you'll be able to install it if you so choose). Instead, the Commodore 64 runs a version of the Linux operating system on an Intel processor, and boasts 2GB of memory and a modern Blu-ray or rewritable DVD optical drive.
The past isn't forgotten, however: The company claims that consumers will be able to play all their favorite 8-bit era games within seconds of turning the Commodore 64 on, by running software that emulates the original operating system.

Commadore USA

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: C64 is back! new [Re: GatKong]
#251182 - 04/07/11 07:50 PM

Unless they've done something clever, I'm think the Commodore keyboard is going to be awkward for modern usage. It's missing at least a few keys that most people have come to rely on.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#251184 - 04/07/11 08:05 PM

> The new iteration of the classic computer won't run Windows (although the company
> claims you'll be able to install it if you so choose). Instead, the Commodore 64 runs
> a version of the Linux operating system on an Intel processor, and boasts 2GB of
> memory and a modern Blu-ray or rewritable DVD optical drive.
> The past isn't forgotten, however: The company claims that consumers will be able to
> play all their favorite 8-bit era games within seconds of turning the Commodore 64
> on, by running software that emulates the original operating system.
>
> Commadore USA

Everyone seems to treasure that system like crazy, I wish I would know it. My first interaction with a computer was an 80286 on 1992 (at twelve years old) and an AtariST at fourteen years old. I had a friend who owned a Japanese MSX2 with Gradius III (his father is japanese) but that's all I know about systems attached to TVs, I've never seen a Commodore in my life.

On 1994 my first computer was a Mitac with Green (?) 486/SX 33Mhz processor, 200MB hard drive, 4MB RAM, no sound card or CD-ROM, Cirrus Logic 2MB video and preloaded with Windows 3.1. At that time I didn't know so much about computers. Later we found out for the same price my parents could have brought a Pentium 66Mhz based PC.

It's curious how I miss sounds in Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Lotus, Monkey Island, and Prince of Persia as PC speaker than with my later brought Sound Blaster 16 Pro.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#251188 - 04/07/11 08:31 PM

this is not a Comodore64 computer. it's a PC (ATOM CPU dual-core, 4GB RAM, DVD burner) with a Commodore-64 emulator.

they've just build a monitor-less laptop disguised as Comodore-64

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#251190 - 04/07/11 08:44 PM

So it's a modern PC, with a super-slow CPU, no expandability, and a keyboard that's going to completely suck for anything other than C64 emulation. Yuck

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: C64 is back! new [Re: R. Belmont]
#251197 - 04/07/11 10:13 PM

> So it's a modern PC, with a super-slow CPU, no expandability, and a keyboard that's
> going to completely suck for anything other than C64 emulation. Yuck

The keyboard only has a passing resemblance to a c64, it's mainly a pc layout.
Atom is fine for most things these days, I have a slower netbook which I've used for more than most other people would. You can buy just the case and put your own board in.

Only people that want a pc that looks like a c64 will buy it, I doubt most will care whether they can make it do anything useful.

I'd prefer to see an atom on a c64 cartridge, so you could boot linux with VIC & SID drivers (windows would be better but thats probably a bit more ambitious).

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: C64 is back! new [Re: BIOS-D]
#251216 - 04/08/11 12:44 AM

I hear you. My first computer was also a 286, which would have also been around 1992. I also had a Sanyo MBC-550 in 1993, which was bought for $10 in a second hand shop. Both PCs had monochrome monitors; the 286 with an amber screen (with Pizza Hut burned in on it) and the MBC-550 had the original green screen.

My 286 had a 20MB hard drive and went straight to DOS (no Windows on it), and had a handful of games on it. Some of the games would run on the MBC-550, but not all because of the differences between the two systems, and it also only had 2 5.25 drives for storage, and no hard drive at all. Neither system had Windows, it was all DOS back then (DOS 6.22 for the 286, and whichever version of DOS which came with the MBC-550's original Sanyo disks, possibly DOS 3). Sadly, both machines went out in the hard rubbish in around 1995, with my next PC being a modern Pentium 166 unit in late 1996.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

#251343 - 04/09/11 07:33 AM

time to put the rooster in its cage and leave it there

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#251355 - 04/09/11 08:59 AM

> Everyone seems to treasure that system like crazy, I wish I would know it. My first
> interaction with a computer was an 80286 on 1992 (at twelve years old) and an AtariST
> at fourteen years old. I had a friend who owned a Japanese MSX2 with Gradius III (his
> father is japanese) but that's all I know about systems attached to TVs, I've never
> seen a Commodore in my life.

I guess I was lucky, my dad was an old school computer geek, so we got a C64 pretty early on. I want to say it was in the Spring of '83, I would have been 5. I distinctly remember being upset because I had chicken pox, which meant I couldn't go with him to Child World (toy store) to pick it up. I can't remember if we got it all right away, but we eventually had a 1702 monitor and a 1541 disk drive, a pretty pimpin' setup at the time.

My dad ended up getting piles of cracked software for it from his hacker buddies, all on hand-labeled 5 1/4" floppies. It wasn't until years later that I realized what I had. I remember reading the screens that the crackers would patch into the games to take credit for their work, having no idea that it wasn't just the credits for the game developers. It was a glorious day when I discovered that the disks were double-sided, and you could flip them over in the disk drive to find even more games.

Sadly, my parents tossed everything in the late 90s. I had the opportunity to save it, but I was a college student at the time, and really didn't have a place to keep such things.

I think people remember the C64 so fondly because the system really did have personality. It had cool (for the day) graphics and sounds, a *ton* of software, and yet you could do a lot more with it than you could with just a console. It was relatively affordable, and Commodore sold a buttload of them. For a lot of people of a certain age, it was their first introduction to computers. A lot of programmers who are now in their 30s and 40s got started by typing in BASIC programs out of COMPUTE!'s Gazette. I've probably owned a dozen PCs since then, and none of them were nearly as memorable.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#251362 - 04/09/11 11:33 AM

I hope they make this a stand alone case like the others, because this is just drop dead amazing...

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: C64 is back! new [Re: Naoki]
#251393 - 04/10/11 12:47 AM

> I hope they make this a stand alone case like the others, because this is just drop
> dead amazing...

The C64 remake is a bit pricey for what you get.

And that Amiga does look amazing.

Moose

swm3rd
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/03/09
Send PM

#251399 - 04/10/11 01:33 AM

In my alternate reality: Commodore would still be around, Apple would've failed, IBM and Commodore would've merged and conquered the computer world.

We would have: The C=Phone, C=Pod, C=Pad, C=Tunes.

It would be better to see the "C=" logo, instead of having to cringe everytime I see that Apple logo when I walk passed their stores.

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

Reminiscing new [Re: DMala]
#251448 - 04/10/11 06:52 PM

> I think people remember the C64 so fondly because the system really did have
> personality.

Certainly more so than the PC of the day, and arguably more so the competing Apple II's. On the other hand, I am mystified as to why it appeared to have eclipsed the Ataris.

> It had cool (for the day) graphics and sounds, a *ton* of software, and
> yet you could do a lot more with it than you could with just a console. It was
> relatively affordable, and Commodore sold a buttload of them.

All true, and I don't regret my experience with 64/128's. Yet beyond games, I knew there were limitations in word processing, sound editing and music notation, which are some of my current top computing tasks. Those were jobs which couldn't be done any better on Commodore 8-bit despite the highest possible levels of expansion (e.g. third-party hardware like Creative Micro Designs).

> For a lot of people of
> a certain age, it was their first introduction to computers. A lot of programmers who
> are now in their 30s and 40s got started by typing in BASIC programs out of
> COMPUTE!'s Gazette.

This is admittedly how I began typing. (Although I ought to have invested in formal touch-typing courses...)

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Reminiscing new [Re: Mojo2000]
#251744 - 04/13/11 11:51 PM

> I am mystified as to why it appeared to have eclipsed the Ataris.

Because there weren't any Ataris to speak of in Europe, until the ST came along. And only musicians and studio owners had an Atari ST (or Falcon) - at home, people had gone from C64 to Amiga.

And, before the C64, the Phillips VideoPac G7000 (that's Magnavox Odyssey 2 to you) was everywhere - not an Atari 2600 in sight.

http://computermuseum.50megs.com/brands/g7000.htm

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 425 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2780