MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DR
Skeptical Linkbot
Reged: 04/05/07
Loc: UK
Send PM

Genesis game suggestions for 5 yo please
#250997 - 04/06/11 11:35 AM

I'm sure this was asked some time ago but I cant find the thread so I'll ask again!

I'm off on holiday to escape the cold / royal wedding and I've just ordered a portable Genesis http://www.blazeeurope.com/sega/sega-ultimate/prod_133.html (got mine for £31 delivered) to keep my 5 year old entertained on flights & car journeys when all else fails. It has an SD card slot so I can transfer my Genesis ROMs to it but I don't want a card with hundreds of ROMs on it just a few games he might like.

The only Genesis game he has played before is Sonic and to date we haven't let him spend much time playing games just very simple web based stuff from kids TV show sites and a bit of Pac Man and Galaga.

Any suggestions?

There is no sin except stupidity.

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure -NT new [Re: DR]
#251062 - 04/06/11 08:13 PM

Dr. Spankenstein
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/15/10
Send PM

Re: Genesis game suggestions for 5 yo please new [Re: DR]
#251092 - 04/06/11 11:21 PM

What's your verdict on this device DR? Was thinking about purchasing one but the 6 buttons look awkwardly placed. I was also unsure about the quality of the LCD screen.

As for games, I'd recommend either Gunstar Heroes or ToeJam & Earl.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#251094 - 04/06/11 11:42 PM

Cool Spot is a good game, but a bit hard.

Maybe Outrun?

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#251096 - 04/07/11 12:17 AM

> I'm sure this was asked some time ago but I cant find the thread so I'll ask again!
>
> I'm off on holiday to escape the cold / royal wedding and I've just ordered a
> portable Genesis http://www.blazeeurope.com/sega/sega-ultimate/prod_133.html (got
> mine for £31 delivered) to keep my 5 year old entertained on flights & car journeys
> when all else fails. It has an SD card slot so I can transfer my Genesis ROMs to it
> but I don't want a card with hundreds of ROMs on it just a few games he might like.
>
> The only Genesis game he has played before is Sonic and to date we haven't let him
> spend much time playing games just very simple web based stuff from kids TV show
> sites and a bit of Pac Man and Galaga.
>
> Any suggestions?

Some others:

Columns
Flicky
Frogger
Klax
Pengo
Super Hang-On

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#251125 - 04/07/11 04:24 AM

If I recall correctly we got a lot of use out of this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's_Treasure_Land_Adventure

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#251126 - 04/07/11 04:30 AM

Possibly Toejam & Earl (one of my favorite games of all time)

Exploration platformer with great music and humor, and each time you play is different as each level is randomly generated.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Genesis game suggestions for 5 yo please new [Re: Hizzout]
#251127 - 04/07/11 04:50 AM

> Possibly Toejam & Earl (one of my favorite games of all time)
>
>
> Exploration platformer with great music and humor, and each time you play is
> different as each level is randomly generated.

I wonder if a 5-year-old would stay interested in Toejam & Earl for very long. It's been a while since I've played it, but I seem to recall a lot of wandering around finding stuff and the whole thing being pretty abstract. It seems to me a kid that young would do better with something more linear.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: Genesis game suggestions for 5 yo please new [Re: DMala]
#251133 - 04/07/11 05:44 AM

Possibly...My oldest is almost four so I'm not sure what holds the interest of a 5 year old yet

She loves the games on my cab where you just wander around and do weird or funny things.

I played about an hour of The Neverhood with her one night and we've never laughed so hard together.

She's really young for a lot of games, but there are some terrible NES and SNES Micky Mouse themed games where all you do is explore and push buttons and she loves it.

Although she doesn't have the reflexes for it yet, she knows what Dirk is supposed to do in a lot of the rooms on Dragon's Lair...she'll tell me which way to go "duck Daddy! Run down that hall!"

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

Re: Genesis game suggestions new [Re: DR]
#251161 - 04/07/11 03:01 PM

I'd suggest Vectorman...

...and also just to bring a couple dozen choice ROMs (over and above the games already embedded) to cover eventualities (such as kids' fickle tastes).

DR
Skeptical Linkbot
Reged: 04/05/07
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: Genesis game suggestions for 5 yo please new [Re: Dr. Spankenstein]
#251271 - 04/08/11 12:54 PM

> What's your verdict on this device DR? Was thinking about purchasing one but the 6
> buttons look awkwardly placed. I was also unsure about the quality of the LCD screen.
>
> As for games, I'd recommend either Gunstar Heroes or ToeJam & Earl.

I've been playing afew games on it today and my verdict is its a bargain for £31. A single cartridge probably cost that much back in the early 90's.

The build quality is good, the screen is sharp and bright and the buttons feel fine to me. The D-pad is good enough for SFII etc. moves so all in all I cant really fault it for the money. Ideal for killing a few dull hours on a journey etc.

I havent tried it on a TV yet but thats not what I bought it for and I've heard some people say the sound isnt accurate but again for £31 I'm really not bothered.

Theres a thread here http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8580 discussing it which may be of use to you if you are considering buying one.

There is no sin except stupidity.

Dr. Spankenstein
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/15/10
Send PM

#251365 - 04/09/11 12:59 PM

Thanks for that link DR.

There's a lot of compromises with this device, but I guess I shouldn't complain given the price at which it is being sold.

I'll wait it out and see if future updates improve things a little.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 170 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1683