MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Britland
Send PM

I was posting in the bin before it WAS the bin!!!11!
#250649 - 04/02/11 07:41 PM

...right?
I definitely seem to remember this place just being the 'MW Off-topic board' or something generic and inoffensive sounding like that, but then they decided we were all crazy ('They' being Roc and KC) and changed the name and added all sorts of disclaimers, like we take no responsibility for this and that; not suitable for those with heart conditions and pregnant mothers; ENTER AT YOUR OWN GOD DAMN RISK! OMG!!!!11!1! etc. etc.
But when WAS that and was there one last incident or episode that made 'Them' (Roc and KC again) finally decide that something must be done or was it just general on-going crap
Thanks in advance to my non-early onset Altzeimer's suffering fellow long timers (in case I forget later)

Edited by Fever (04/02/11 10:32 PM)

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: I was posting in the bin before it WAS the bin!!!11! new [Re: Fever]
#250654 - 04/02/11 08:27 PM

I distinctly remember the word "Asylum" being used there for a li'l while.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#250657 - 04/02/11 08:47 PM

> ...right?
> I definitely seem to remember this place just being the 'MW Off-topic board' or

Yes I remember but I think I didn't post by then.

Anyway for april fools this place should become the Loony Bun or something like that. This year's april fools has been tamest in all the tame april fools of the last years.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

grobda
Tank with very high rate of fire plasma weapon and Quantum shield.
Reged: 06/13/07
Loc: The Zone
Send PM

#250667 - 04/02/11 10:14 PM

You mean I can't get my Thorazine and half an hour straightjacket calm down here ? I want my money back.

Playing for keeps in Arcadia

jopezu
bread-train
Loc: georgia
Send PM

#250670 - 04/02/11 10:30 PM

> ...right?
> I definitely seem to remember this place just being the 'MW Off-topic board' or
> something generic and inoffensive sounding like that, but then they decided we were
> all crazy ('They' being Ric and KC) and changed the name and added all sorts of
> disclaimers, like we take no responsibility for this and that; not suitable for those
> with heart conditions and pregnant mothers; ENTER AT YOUR OWN GOD DAMN RISK!
> OMG!!!!11!1! etc. etc.
> But when WAS that and was there one last incident or episode that made 'Them' (Roc
> and KC again) finally decide that something must be done or was it just general
> on-going crap
> Thanks in advance to my non-early onset Altzeimer's suffering fellow long timers (in
> case I forget later)

yup, it was OT with a warning, then like... lunatic asylum or something. then, the bin.

i learned everything i know from KC

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

#250687 - 04/03/11 01:10 AM

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/2002020...ameworldgeneral

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

Re: I was posting in the bin before it WAS the bin!!!11! new [Re: aavada]
#250695 - 04/03/11 02:43 AM Attachment: snake78.jpg 15 KB (1 downloads)

Cool... after reading Fever's post, I got to wondering when I first registered at mameworld/ztnet... turns out it was 11/6/01 6:19PM. I was living in Providence at the time...

I went back a little further to 10/4/01, which is the closest the wbm had...

At that time the bin was called:

MAMEWorld General Board/Riot/Loony Bin. Welcome to the Asylum!
General Emulation (& Beer) Chat, site suggestions, anything goes!

Edit... and back a little further... 6/20/2001:

MAMEWorld General Board
General Emulation Chat, site suggestions, anything goes!

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by snake78 (04/03/11 02:45 AM)

www.randyrobbinsmusic.com
RandyRobbinsMusic on Facebook

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Those were the days when I resided at mame.net. new [Re: Fever]
#250702 - 04/03/11 07:35 AM

The rundown slums/ghetto of the MAME message boards.

Or would that be the emuboards or whatever they're called?

Well, mame.net was a branch from the same tree.

LEVEL-4

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#250727 - 04/03/11 04:00 PM

Damnit, guys.. you got me to spend over an hour on Wayback looking at old mame.net captures and thinking about how I got into emulation..

..Marat's first release of VGB, and how underground it was in the early days-- passworded websites and not a lot of contact points outside efnet #emu

..and of course, Emu News Service, back when news could be expected literally every day.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Jdurgi
Regular
Loc: NEW England, CT
Send PM

Re: I was posting in the bin before it WAS the bin!!!11! new [Re: Firehawke]
#250750 - 04/03/11 09:16 PM

> Damnit, guys.. you got me to spend over an hour on Wayback looking at old mame.net
> captures and thinking about how I got into emulation..
>
> ..Marat's first release of VGB, and how underground it was in the early days--
> passworded websites and not a lot of contact points outside efnet #emu
>
> ..and of course, Emu News Service, back when news could be expected literally every
> day.

Ahhhhh. Memories of getting into emulation. Hard to believe that was 13 years ago for me. I was a freshman in college and just finding out how awesome it was to have a high bandwidth, broadband connection full time. I was also introduced to cracked software at the time, and was wondering if there was a cracked version available for Mortal Kombat for the PC. I did a quick search online and was introduced to the MAME ROM. Of course, I had no idea how it worked but unlike so many newbs, I actually read through the FAQs and eventually got it up and running. I was STUNNED that I was playing the actual arcade game and not a port. My descent into emulation madness soon grew to the extent it is now. I found emulators for consoles, and watched as MAME began emulating all of the games I loved as a kid. The Street Fighter's, Mortal Kombats, Pac-Man, etc. I remember being excited when CPS2 games were playable, but soon lost my love of the emulation scene due to the bickering that went on.

I'd have to say the last time I was super uber excited about emulation was when CPS3 was also made playable (since my local arcades had died before SF3 came out so I never really got a chance to play it), when the CPS2 encryption was properly solved, and to a very small extent when Naomi was emulated. But to this point, the bulk of what I really wanted to see emulated has been. The Street Fighter games I loved, and just about all of the Mortal Kombat games. (MK4 doesn't really work that great but I realize it's not a high priority for the proper emulation of it and if it is eventually emulated in full and without bugs, then yeah. I'm not going to go on a hunger strike waiting for it. )

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

Re: Those were the days when I resided at mame.net. new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#250928 - 04/05/11 09:10 PM

> The rundown slums/ghetto of the MAME message boards.
>
> Or would that be the emuboards or whatever they're called?
>
> Well, mame.net was a branch from the same tree.

MAME.net was the shit back then. Many times I was LMFAO at work and had to cover my mouth to keep the noise down.

Kevin Eshbach

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: Those were the days when I resided at mame.net. new [Re: keshbach1]
#250951 - 04/06/11 01:14 AM

I could say the same. I hardly ever posted there (and when I did it was under a different name.. the only post I distinctly recall posting anymore was asking RB how Salamander 2 was coming along way back when..) but I did frequent the place as a lurker.. even if some of the people made me want to beat THEIR heads into keyboards.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 180 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1514