MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

babaganoosh
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/19/06
Send PM

Advice on selling my mame box?
#250364 - 03/31/11 05:43 PM

I tried building a MAME box several years ago and never got it working right. My wife's making me sell it. I set up a Craigslist page:

http://cnj.craigslist.org/ele/2297072411.html

any advice on where to list this for best exposure to MAME people that might want it? And what this is worth?

As a longshot, anyone know of a good URL that spells out how to get the front end app working right? I'd much prefer to get this working than sell it.

thanks!

David

FatTrucker
Randomly pressing buttons in hope of success.
Reged: 01/31/06
Loc: London UK
Send PM

Re: Advice on selling my mame box? new [Re: babaganoosh]
#250365 - 03/31/11 05:52 PM

> I tried building a MAME box several years ago and never got it working right. My
> wife's making me sell it. I set up a Craigslist page:
>
> http://cnj.craigslist.org/ele/2297072411.html
>
> any advice on where to list this for best exposure to MAME people that might want it?
> And what this is worth?
>
> As a longshot, anyone know of a good URL that spells out how to get the front end app
> working right? I'd much prefer to get this working than sell it.
>
> thanks!
>
> David

People tend to get a bit annoyed here when people are selling 'mame' stuff. Better to list it as a multi-game cab, or emulation machine or something else that doesn't technically infringe or trade on the Mame TM.

First bit of advice would be to sort out the button arrangement, who on earth thought that was a good idea?.

There's loads of Front-Ends you can try. For a relatively easy start on a free one, try Mala.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#250370 - 03/31/11 06:38 PM

> I tried building a MAME box several years ago and never got it working right. My
>
>
> any advice on where to list this for best exposure to MAME people that might want it?
>
> As a longshot, anyone know of a good URL that spells out how to get the front end app
>
> thanks!
>
> David

• Classic-era cabinet ripped up for MAME - Check!
  • Too-small PC monitor with wrong orientation and ill-fitting bezel - Check!
  • Button layout that doesn't take into consideration the size and configuration of a human hand - Check!
  • Clip on reflector lamp illuminating the trackball - Check!

You should advertise it here.

But seriously, what frontend are you using? MAMEWAH is a little ornery to get working these days, but I would think setting up something like MaLa (no relation) should be pretty straightforward. If you can get a stay of execution from the wife, come up with some specific questions to ask either here or on the frontend's messageboard. Someone should be able to get you up and running.

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

#250373 - 03/31/11 07:20 PM

>
>
>
>
> thanks!
>
> David

You could always try eBay though I have no clue to what results you will experience.

Kevin Eshbach

GatKong
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

List it as a project "Rockola Fantasy" cab new [Re: babaganoosh]
#250377 - 03/31/11 08:02 PM

I disagree with everyone here. Yes, the monitor is small, the bezel poorly fitting, the button configuration is bizarre at best, the front end not configured correctly, and the classic cab is wrecked into a mame cabinet BUT... you do have a "Happ Track Ball Installed" sticker on it, so I think you're gonna be ok.

In all seriousness... seruiosuly, I'd like to give you serious advice... of course the old addage applied that it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it... but I would offer it up as a "free if you come and get it" kind of thing... because it really needs to be rebuilt... and starting from scratch would be better that trying to retool that machine, unless it was free... then it would have some value as a potential game cab.

That's just my opinion. Personally, if I were you, I'd just spend a weekend or two redoing it... it has potential to be fun for the whole family. Key is to find a game the wife likes, so she'll be motivated to keep it. Try her on Tetris, or Dr. Mario, a few other puzzle games, Ms. Pacman... something to get her interested.

EDIT: Also, consider listing it as a project "Rockola Fantasy" cab... a collectior may just want to restore it back the way it belongs. That's probably be the best way to give to someone who'd appreciate it. Project cabs can fetch from free to $100 to the right collector.

Edited by Gatinho (03/31/11 08:07 PM)

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: List it as a project "Rockola Fantasy" cab new [Re: GatKong]
#250378 - 03/31/11 08:20 PM

> EDIT: Also, consider listing it as a project "Rockola Fantasy" cab... a collectior
> may just want to restore it back the way it belongs. That's probably be the best way
> to give to someone who'd appreciate it. Project cabs can fetch from free to $100 to
> the right collector.

Quite true, here. It's not a common title. If you have the original control panel and anything else, you could make more on the sale than as a PC multigame hack.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Ditto. Hit KLOV forums. new [Re: yaggy]
#250453 - 04/01/11 03:36 AM

> > EDIT: Also, consider listing it as a project "Rockola Fantasy" cab... a collectior
> > may just want to restore it back the way it belongs. That's probably be the best
> way
> > to give to someone who'd appreciate it. Project cabs can fetch from free to $100 to
> > the right collector.
>
>
> Quite true, here. It's not a common title. If you have the original control panel and
> anything else, you could make more on the sale than as a PC multigame hack.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: List it as a project "Rockola Fantasy" cab new [Re: GatKong]
#250486 - 04/01/11 12:52 PM

> I disagree with everyone here. Yes, the monitor is small, the bezel poorly fitting,
> the button configuration is bizarre at best, the front end not configured correctly,
> and the classic cab is wrecked into a mame cabinet BUT... you do have a "Happ Track
> Ball Installed" sticker on it, so I think you're gonna be ok.
>
> In all seriousness... seruiosuly, I'd like to give you serious advice... of course
> the old addage applied that it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it...
> but I would offer it up as a "free if you come and get it" kind of thing... because
> it really needs to be rebuilt... and starting from scratch would be better that
> trying to retool that machine, unless it was free... then it would have some value as
> a potential game cab.
>
> That's just my opinion. Personally, if I were you, I'd just spend a weekend or two
> redoing it... it has potential to be fun for the whole family. Key is to find a game
> the wife likes, so she'll be motivated to keep it. Try her on Tetris, or Dr. Mario, a
> few other puzzle games, Ms. Pacman... something to get her interested.
>
> EDIT: Also, consider listing it as a project "Rockola Fantasy" cab... a collectior
> may just want to restore it back the way it belongs. That's probably be the best way
> to give to someone who'd appreciate it. Project cabs can fetch from free to $100 to
> the right collector.

ROFL LMAO Great reply !!

Moose

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 417 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2420