MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

boy am i $%&^'ing tired and completely over what gaming previews have become.
#248928 - 03/15/11 05:56 PM

game previews are either

1. rendered/realtime movies giving no indication of what the actual gameplay is like
2. edited clips of in-game action that give a false, cinematic sense of what gameplay is like. sure, it might be the actual engine, and actual gamplay, but it's obvious that the setup and action execution is intended to try for a hollywood feel.

i'd honestly rather just watch plain ol' straight footage of somebody playing the game, no matter how boring. it's more important to me to get an idea of what the UI, cadence and pacing are like rather than an overproduced pitch. i get turned on more by watching an over-the-shoulder video at E3 or something rather than a shiny new 'trailer'.

i learned everything i know from KC

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: boy am i $%&^'ing tired and completely over what gaming previews have become. new [Re: jopezu]
#248931 - 03/15/11 06:19 PM

> game previews are either
>
> 1. rendered/realtime movies giving no indication of what the actual gameplay is like
> 2. edited clips of in-game action that give a false, cinematic sense of what gameplay
> is like. sure, it might be the actual engine, and actual gamplay, but it's obvious
> that the setup and action execution is intended to try for a hollywood feel.
>
>
> i'd honestly rather just watch plain ol' straight footage of somebody playing the
> game, no matter how boring. it's more important to me to get an idea of what the UI,
> cadence and pacing are like rather than an overproduced pitch. i get turned on more
> by watching an over-the-shoulder video at E3 or something rather than a shiny new
> 'trailer'.

Don't forget:

3. Half the video are big letters zooming in and out over a black background.

I prefer the "let's play" videos, save by the sometimes annoying voices. Problem relies in they appear after release, not before.

FatTrucker
Randomly pressing buttons in hope of success.
Reged: 01/31/06
Loc: London UK
Send PM

Re: boy am i $%&^'ing tired and completely over what gaming previews have become. new [Re: jopezu]
#248934 - 03/15/11 06:53 PM

Problem is gameplay video's generally are dull as dishwater. By and large watching someone else play a game isn't exactly inspiring and still doesn't give much of an indication of what a game is like to play.

Trailers and previews are designed to give maximum impact and portray a product in the most positive way (just like movies and pretty much every other form of media). The amount of times I've gone to see a film after being sold on the trailer only to find the trailer contained every decent part of the film with the other 99% being sh*te.

IME the only way to find out if a game is any good is from first hand play, no amount of trailers, youtube vids or reviews can offer anything more than a tenuous dialogue in terms of the content.

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

Re: boy am i $%&^'ing tired and completely over what gaming previews have become. new [Re: BIOS-D]
#248938 - 03/15/11 07:16 PM

> > game previews are either
> >
> > 1. rendered/realtime movies giving no indication of what the actual gameplay is
> like
> > 2. edited clips of in-game action that give a false, cinematic sense of what
> gameplay
> > is like. sure, it might be the actual engine, and actual gamplay, but it's obvious
> > that the setup and action execution is intended to try for a hollywood feel.
> >
> >
> > i'd honestly rather just watch plain ol' straight footage of somebody playing the
> > game, no matter how boring. it's more important to me to get an idea of what the
> UI,
> > cadence and pacing are like rather than an overproduced pitch. i get turned on more
> > by watching an over-the-shoulder video at E3 or something rather than a shiny new
> > 'trailer'.
>
> Don't forget:
>
> 3. Half the video are big letters zooming in and out over a black background.
>
> I prefer the "let's play" videos, save by the sometimes annoying voices. Problem
> relies in they appear after release, not before.

exactly why i love giantbomb.com's 'quick look' videos (that are usually 30m to 1 hour)

i learned everything i know from KC

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 125 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1005