MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Valve Source -vs- Unreal -vs- others
#248421 - 03/09/11 07:53 PM

Any opinions on which is the better engine? It seems either can be distributed on Steam anymore, so the advantages of Steam (or detriments, depending how you look at it) shouldn't be a factor.

Edited by Gatinho (03/09/11 09:56 PM)

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

Re: Valve -vs- Unreal -vs- others new [Re: GatKong]
#248423 - 03/09/11 07:57 PM

> Any opinions on which is the better engine? It seems either can be distributed on
> Steam anymore, so the advantages of Steam (or detriments, depending how you look at
> it) shouldn't be a factor.

the unreal engine has always impressed the hell out of me. it looks fantastic and runs like magic. when i first fired up UT3, i had a hard time understanding why i wasn't getting lower FPS. crazy optimized.

also, unreal engine seems to handle complex geometry better. some of the stuff in 'war for cybertron' and UT3 are almost hard to look at because of visual overload (complex machinery, etc)

i learned everything i know from KC

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Valve Source -vs- Unreal -vs- others new [Re: GatKong]
#248492 - 03/10/11 09:39 AM

> Any opinions on which is the better engine? It seems either can be distributed on
> Steam anymore, so the advantages of Steam (or detriments, depending how you look at
> it) shouldn't be a factor.

As far as visuals go, Unreal Engine 3.x wins hands down.

Go watch a gameplay video of Bulletstorm in HD on Youtube.

Portal 2 looks really good though but it's not out yet.

S

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

Re: Valve Source -vs- Unreal -vs- others new [Re: GatKong]
#248502 - 03/10/11 03:35 PM

Looking back at running both of these on a lower end system (this would be around when HL2 first came out), the Source engine was playable on an Athlon 1900+ with a Geforce 5600 with most of the 'toys' turned on while the Unreal (can't remember which version) engine was chuggy unless I turned all details way down. Granted we've come a long way since then, and the visuals in the UE stuff out there are amazing, but I tend to lean toward source because they seem to be programmers that really know how to optimize.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 824 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1239