View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Musings on Congo Bongo
#248324 - 03/08/11 10:37 AM

Not happy with the current audio state of Congo Bongo, and having the recollection that there was a failed attempt at sound emulation for it, I decided to go in, edit, and compile my own version.

But apparently it is using samples, just not properly. In either case, I need to learn a lot more about the code, and in particular how that driver is coded to do anything. Ahh.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Gyrovision
so many more levels...
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Area 51 Nevada
Send PM

Re: Musings on Congo Bongo new [Re: mogli]
#248348 - 03/08/11 07:36 PM

> Not happy with the current audio state of Congo Bongo, and having the recollection
> that there was a failed attempt at sound emulation for it, I decided to go in, edit,
> and compile my own version.
>
> But apparently it is using samples, just not properly. In either case, I need to
> learn a lot more about the code, and in particular how that driver is coded to do
> anything. Ahh.

The new samples worked great around version 0.105 or so just before the driver rewrite. Congo may have been the sacrificial lamb in order to clean up the other games in zaxxon.c

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Musings on Congo Bongo new [Re: Gyrovision]
#248402 - 03/09/11 08:55 AM

> The new samples worked great around version 0.105 or so just before the driver
> rewrite. Congo may have been the sacrificial lamb in order to clean up the other
> games in zaxxon.c

That would be unfortunate. I'll always have to use an older version then.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Musings on Congo Bongo new [Re: mogli]
#248438 - 03/10/11 12:05 AM

> > The new samples worked great around version 0.105 or so just before the driver
> > rewrite. Congo may have been the sacrificial lamb in order to clean up the other
> > games in zaxxon.c
>
> That would be unfortunate. I'll always have to use an older version then.

Or you could fix it correctly. If the version where it stopped working is known, it oughta be easy enough to see what's different about the sample playback.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Musings on Congo Bongo new [Re: R. Belmont]
#248439 - 03/10/11 12:18 AM

Regression version has been known for some time - just need someone interested enough to do the work.

http://www.mametesters.org/view.php?id=798

AaronGiles
Galaxiwarrior
Send PM

Re: Musings on Congo Bongo new [Re: Tafoid]
#248440 - 03/10/11 12:26 AM

> Regression version has been known for some time - just need someone interested enough
> to do the work.
>
> http://www.mametesters.org/view.php?id=798

The real solution is to implement discrete sound for the remaining audio. It is almost trivial enough that I have long considered doing it myself. Except for the whole lack of time thing and higher priority desires.

Aaron

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Trivial enough for you folks. I've never coded anything... new [Re: AaronGiles]
#248448 - 03/10/11 02:03 AM

So while I have a tendency toward grasping formal systems, I'm still starting from scratch. But it could happen I suppose before someone capable steps up.

> The real solution is to implement discrete sound for the remaining audio. It is
> almost trivial enough that I have long considered doing it myself. Except for the
> whole lack of time thing and higher priority desires.
>
> Aaron

I had an inkling this would be a preference of yours. Who am I to argue.

The Culture

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 224 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2426