MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Gambling games flag in listxml output...
#247602 - 02/28/11 08:28 PM

hey,
I have an idea. someone else suggested this, but to me, it would be a very nice addition.

how about a fruit machine flag for gambling games ported from AGEMAME... in the -listxml output ?
just like the mechanical flag to pinball games.

Code:

< game name="acefruit" isfruitmachine="yes" sourcefile="acefruit.c" >

notice the " isfruitmachine = " yes " entry...

It's been said many times that gambling games wouldn't never make their way into MAME. why not flagging all of them ?

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Gambling games flag in listxml output... new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#247609 - 02/28/11 09:51 PM

> It's been said many times that gambling games wouldn't never make their way into
> MAME. why not flagging all of them ?

Most (working) gambling games in MAME are neither from AGEMAME nor fruit machines, so I don't see what a "fruit machines" flag would accomplish.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#247614 - 02/28/11 10:49 PM

and why not a is_beatemup? or is_mazegame? these kinds of things do belong to external datfiles/ini, not to the source. not to mention that only a very small amount of gambling games in MAME are fruit machines.

GAME_IS_MECHANICAL makes sense because it warns users that the emulation won't be complete due to mechanical components which cannot be emulated on a PC.

if you check the -lx output, you will see that the flag has not only been used for pinball but for other games present in older MAME versions too.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: Gambling games flag in listxml output... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#247678 - 03/01/11 02:34 PM

they're not from AGEMAME ? I thought this emu was merged into MAME recently and all its games are in MAME now.

I guess an external ini file is the best option here then.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#247697 - 03/01/11 06:35 PM

many more have been added than the AGEMAME ones. a few sets keep being sent by AGEMAME guys, but many more have been added from different sources.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#247784 - 03/02/11 11:44 AM

> they're not from AGEMAME ? I thought this emu was merged into MAME recently and all
> its games are in MAME now.
>
> I guess an external ini file is the best option here then.

Not every single gambling game was originally made using AGEMAME. For example, the IGT PE Plus and Aristocrat video poker/slot games were born using the official MAME and later moved to AGEMAME (which I believe has been relegated to a Tiny MAME type build with only the gambling and fruit games added). The only reason AGEMAME even existed in the first place (when it was called MAGE) was because someone in MAMEdev decided that gambling games weren't worthy of being preserved or documented since they were not considered 'arcade' in the same was as Pac-Man, Space Invaders and Street Fighter II were (despite some places like the UK having gambling games inside video arcades).

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: Gambling games flag in listxml output... new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#247798 - 03/02/11 04:10 PM

> someone in MAMEdev decided that gambling games weren't worthy of being preserved or documented since they were not considered 'arcade'

Not quite the reason from what I understand.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Gambling games flag in listxml output... new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#247808 - 03/02/11 06:01 PM

> The only reason AGEMAME even
> existed in the first place (when it was called MAGE) was because someone in MAMEdev
> decided that gambling games weren't worthy of being preserved or documented since
> they were not considered 'arcade'

Not quite. Gambling games are stigmatized and heavily regulated in Italy, and MAME is of course of Italian origin (and continues to have many awesome Italian contributors and dumpers).

Regarding my earlier point, a majority of the working gambling games in MAME were added by H*z*, Kale, Luca, and Robbie and never were part of AGEMAME.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 330 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2203