MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Talkin' 'bout M***Craft...
#247173 - 02/22/11 09:51 PM

If anyone manages to log in to Minecraft, they'll likely be updated to 1.3, probably making access to servers impossible until they've been updated.

Aware of rl issues as posted here; no hurry.

See http://notch.tumblr.com/ for details.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Talkin' 'bout M***Craft... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#247205 - 02/23/11 06:19 AM

> If anyone manages to log in to Minecraft, they'll likely be updated to 1.3, probably
> making access to servers impossible until they've been updated.
>
> Aware of rl issues as posted here; no hurry.
>
> See http://notch.tumblr.com/ for details.

The new lighting effect looks nice. The bed definitely should have been there since alpha, but good to have it now anyway. Let's see how complex electric/mechanical projects get now with the new repeaters.

This will probably be my last update until I decide to buy the game (something I avoid for fear to get hook up). It's probable the next update will be through HTTPS protocol, so the famous "auto updater" will remain useless soon.

I know, I shouldn't have done that for a really cheap indie game. But it really picked some curiosity on me, wondering what was all that fuzz about. Now that I know, chances for getting hooked up on-line are infinite.

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

#247208 - 02/23/11 06:29 AM

> If anyone manages to log in to Minecraft, they'll likely be updated to 1.3, probably
> making access to servers impossible until they've been updated.
>
> Aware of rl issues as posted here; no hurry.
>
> See http://notch.tumblr.com/ for details.

I bit the bullet and updated. The new "smooth lighting" option looks really really great when viewing terrain from a distance, but there's a fair bit of mosaic or dithering present when looking at nearby or low-light objects.

As Tfin mentions, servers will need an update, and maps have to be converted to use the new lighting engine (this is automatic in the client, not so sure about what's required for servers).

Seconded on the awareness of rl issues; definitely no hurry.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Talkin' 'bout M***Craft... new [Re: BIOS-D]
#247231 - 02/23/11 02:18 PM

The repeater should actually simplify the circuitry, which will of course lead to more complex applications. How they can get more complex, I don't know.

A 1-tick delay goes from being a complex abuse of a glitch, needing a north-south oriented stack of torches, to being a single block with a wire on each side. This applies for all odd numbers when you don't want to invert the signal, and even-numbered clocks.

A 2-tick delay goes from _█/_█/_ to _▄_, same as 1,3, and 4; the difference increases as they get longer.

Circuits will be a little easier to follow, though the various logic gates won't change much, being entirely based on an arrangement of NOTs.

I expect the biggest change there will be for redstone music, which is still limited to 2 octaves, but has easier timing control now.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#247239 - 02/23/11 07:11 PM

> The repeater should actually simplify the circuitry, which will of course lead to
> more complex applications. How they can get more complex, I don't know.
>
> A 1-tick delay goes from being a complex abuse of a glitch, needing a north-south
> oriented stack of torches, to being a single block with a wire on each side. This
> applies for all odd numbers when you don't want to invert the signal, and
> even-numbered clocks.
>
> A 2-tick delay goes from _█/_█/_ to _▄_, same as 1,3, and 4; the
> difference increases as they get longer.
>
> Circuits will be a little easier to follow, though the various logic gates won't
> change much, being entirely based on an arrangement of NOTs.
>
> I expect the biggest change there will be for redstone music, which is still limited
> to 2 octaves, but has easier timing control now.

Sweet... My Pacman sculpture will play the intermission music as soon as I have some redstone and a free Sunday afternoon.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: Talkin' 'bout M***Craft... new [Re: DMala]
#247247 - 02/23/11 08:46 PM

>My Pacman sculpture will play the intermission music as soon as I have some redstone

Helpself to all my redstone... I haven't used any, just keep storing it up. :P

"Scrollbars in both the texture pack list, and in the map selection screen"

Yeay! Wondered why he didn't have those before.

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

Re: Talkin' 'bout M***Craft... new [Re: GatKong]
#247251 - 02/23/11 09:10 PM

> "Scrollbars in both the texture pack list, and in the map selection screen"
>
> Yeay! Wondered why he didn't have those before.

The texture pack list could be scrolled before by dragging the background. Herr Persson simply forgot because he's not an UI type of guy.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 755 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1457