Pages: 1

Stick
Ultra Lurker
Reged: 11/21/03
Loc: Alabama
Send PM

Jump Rope for Heart
#247171 - 02/22/11 09:36 PM

My son is participating in this program at school, so if anyone wants to help out here is the link to his donation page.

http://honor.americanheart.org/site/TR?p...p;s_tafId=91421

Thanks in advance!

Mods please feel free to delete this post if it's not allowed.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Jump Rope for Heart new [Re: Stick]
#247179 - 02/22/11 11:02 PM

My daughter just did that at school.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

.....maybe if the people with heart disease had done this more often.... (nt) new [Re: Stick]
#247193 - 02/23/11 03:20 AM

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

Congenital heart defects? -nt- ass. new [Re: mogli]
#247232 - 02/23/11 02:18 PM

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

I anticipated that response, but thought I'd not show off... new [Re: igamabob]
#247261 - 02/23/11 10:04 PM

Congenital = bad genes - that is, it's a pre-natal condition, and is, along with all such things, being investigated by more powerful and better funded organizations.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Send PM

Re: I anticipated that response, but thought I'd not show off... new [Re: mogli]
#247265 - 02/23/11 10:13 PM

> Congenital = bad genes - that is, it's a pre-natal condition, and is, along with all
> such things, being investigated by more powerful and better funded organizations.

OK, I'll bite, who is a more powerful specialized heart health organization than the American Heart Association? As in all health research, things tend to be very specialized, this congenital heart defects will not be studied by the same group of doctors as, say, congenital kidney defects...

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I anticipated that response, but thought I'd not show off... new [Re: igamabob]
#247285 - 02/24/11 12:57 AM

> > Congenital = bad genes - that is, it's a pre-natal condition, and is, along with
> all
> > such things, being investigated by more powerful and better funded organizations.
>
> OK, I'll bite, who is a more powerful specialized heart health organization than the
> American Heart Association? As in all health research, things tend to be very
> specialized, this congenital heart defects will not be studied by the same group of
> doctors as, say, congenital kidney defects...

Congenital defects are largely due to genetic innaccuracies. There are loads of companies studying genetics. Not only to prevent defects, but also to improv upon the design.

Of course, there are cases that are in-utero, which seem to often be directly related to the lifestyles of the parent(s). Again, improving upon the design would help.

The Culture

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Send PM

Re: I anticipated that response, but thought I'd not show off... new [Re: mogli]
#247392 - 02/25/11 03:27 AM

> > > Congenital = bad genes - that is, it's a pre-natal condition, and is, along with
> > all
> > > such things, being investigated by more powerful and better funded organizations.
>
> >
> > OK, I'll bite, who is a more powerful specialized heart health organization than
> the
> > American Heart Association? As in all health research, things tend to be very
> > specialized, this congenital heart defects will not be studied by the same group of
> > doctors as, say, congenital kidney defects...
>
> Congenital defects are largely due to genetic innaccuracies. There are loads of
> companies studying genetics. Not only to prevent defects, but also to improv upon the
> design.
>
> Of course, there are cases that are in-utero, which seem to often be directly related
> to the lifestyles of the parent(s). Again, improving upon the design would help.

Yep, just about the answer I figured I'd get.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I anticipated that response, but thought I'd not show off... new [Re: igamabob]
#247733 - 03/01/11 11:48 PM

> > Congenital defects are largely due to genetic innaccuracies. There are loads of
> > companies studying genetics. Not only to prevent defects, but also to improv upon
> the
> > design.
> >
> > Of course, there are cases that are in-utero, which seem to often be directly
> related
> > to the lifestyles of the parent(s). Again, improving upon the design would help.
>
> Yep, just about the answer I figured I'd get.

What other answer could there be?

The Culture

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Send PM

#247791 - 03/02/11 02:12 PM

> > > Congenital defects are largely due to genetic innaccuracies. There are loads of
> > > companies studying genetics. Not only to prevent defects, but also to improv upon
> > the
> > > design.
> > >
> > > Of course, there are cases that are in-utero, which seem to often be directly
> > related
> > > to the lifestyles of the parent(s). Again, improving upon the design would help.
> >
> > Yep, just about the answer I figured I'd get.
>
> What other answer could there be?

One in which you actually cite these 'agencies' who are better funded than the AHA. Rather than just saying 'Yeah, there's lots of groups out there doing this, and I have a hot girlfriend in Canada.'

Edited by igamabob (03/02/11 02:13 PM)

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#247920 - 03/04/11 06:34 AM

> > What other answer could there be?
>
> One in which you actually cite these 'agencies' who are better funded than the AHA.
> Rather than just saying 'Yeah, there's lots of groups out there doing this, and I
> have a hot girlfriend in Canada.'

Sorry. I don't have any hot girl friends anywhere. By your or my standards. Regardless of physical form, women are social addicts, and that's a syndrome I just can't promote.

Anyways, here's a list of companies. But, um, if the AHA is so well funded...why are common folk contributing to it.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Send PM

#247942 - 03/04/11 06:46 PM

> > > What other answer could there be?
> >
> > One in which you actually cite these 'agencies' who are better funded than the AHA.
> > Rather than just saying 'Yeah, there's lots of groups out there doing this, and I
> > have a hot girlfriend in Canada.'
>
> Sorry. I don't have any hot girl friends anywhere. By your or my standards.
> Regardless of physical form, women are social addicts, and that's a syndrome I just
> can't promote.
>
> Anyways, here's a list of companies. But, um, if the AHA is so well funded...why are
> common folk contributing to it.

It's a non-profit as are most organizations like it. Methinks that leaving research of this type in the hands of for profit companies is not the best idea as they will focus on those areas that will make them money (hair growth, stiffies, etc). The AHA involves itself with hospitals like the Cleveland Clinic, University Hospital and Johns Hopkins (Many others as well, these just come to mind now), where 'real world' research is being one. (that whole treating patients thing generates an amazing amount of data).

And 'Common Folk' contribute to said hospitals as well.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

You might be interested in this.... new [Re: igamabob]
#248094 - 03/06/11 05:49 AM

I love this guy's novels, he does superb physics, and he's cool to talk with. Looks here like he's doing what almost nobody else is doing - jumping in the game running, and making leaps and bounds - with much progress in very short time. ZOW!

http://vimeo.com/7336479

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Send PM

Re: You might be interested in this.... new [Re: mogli]
#248135 - 03/06/11 05:02 PM

> I love this guy's novels, he does superb physics, and he's cool to talk with. Looks
> here like he's doing what almost nobody else is doing - jumping in the game running,
> and making leaps and bounds - with much progress in very short time. ZOW!
>
> http://vimeo.com/7336479

I like Greg. Met him a couple of years back. He's one of the few 'modern' scifi writers who is also actually a scientist.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Cool - although slight correction... new [Re: igamabob]
#248263 - 03/07/11 10:54 PM

SF (or, at least a lesser evil, science fiction) writer. There used to be more. Even Asimov had a degree in Chemistry.

I think Robert Silverberg. Definitely Robert L. Forward, physicist, and inventor.

Charles Sheffield I think was in Astronomy or Physics.

Ian MacDonald is in astronomy; he's a cool dude, look for an audio interview if you get a chance.

Stephen Baxter has degrees in Math and (I think) Astrophysics; however, he's mostly writing historical fiction right now; great stuff, I'm just not very interested.

And while Greg Bear has no science degrees, he does the research to make you think he might. Same goes for Dan Simmons - who, arguably, is the mightiest of them. Look into Ilium on that score.

Where did you meet Benford?

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Cool - although slight correction... new [Re: mogli]
#248271 - 03/07/11 11:55 PM

> SF (or, at least a lesser evil, science fiction) writer. There used to be more. Even
> Asimov had a degree in Chemistry.
>
> I think Robert Silverberg. Definitely Robert L. Forward, physicist, and inventor.
>
> Charles Sheffield I think was in Astronomy or Physics.
>
> Ian MacDonald is in astronomy; he's a cool dude, look for an audio interview if you
> get a chance.
>
> Stephen Baxter has degrees in Math and (I think) Astrophysics; however, he's mostly
> writing historical fiction right now; great stuff, I'm just not very interested.
>
> And while Greg Bear has no science degrees, he does the research to make you think he
> might. Same goes for Dan Simmons - who, arguably, is the mightiest of them. Look into
> Ilium on that score.
>
> Where did you meet Benford?

Good list of names there. I've read shorter examples of all of their work, including some science stuff, in the pages of Analog magazine. Well, the modern ones anyway, except maybe Forward, I don't recall seeing his name.

Yes, SCIENCE Fiction is the place to go for good stuff. SciFi is now fantasy with aliens replacing elves, if they even do that.

History is a science, right? Sort of? It at least falls into the category SF, where the "S" is "speculative."

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Cool - although slight correction... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#248656 - 03/12/11 07:51 AM

> Good list of names there. I've read shorter examples of all of their work, including
> some science stuff, in the pages of Analog magazine. Well, the modern ones anyway,
> except maybe Forward, I don't recall seeing his name.
>
> Yes, SCIENCE Fiction is the place to go for good stuff. SciFi is now fantasy with
> aliens replacing elves, if they even do that.
>
> History is a science, right? Sort of? It at least falls into the category SF, where
> the "S" is "speculative."

I think Dan Simmons, more than once on his own forum, aptly put it: scifi is Fantasy in space. Skiffy, as in 'iffy' (although, he heard or read a female author who made up the 'skiffy' thing in the 60s, I think).

Science fiction is the archaic form, SF - speculative fiction, etc - being the mature form.

Alas, history is not a science. But I think I see what you mean.

Robert Forward wasn't well-known, and I don't know as his stories were that literary. I think he was more in the 'bare' hard SF group.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Cool - although slight correction... new [Re: mogli]
#248703 - 03/12/11 09:28 PM

There was a story in Analog several years ago that set the definition for me.

On a dark stormy night, workers in a lab are testing urine samples for drugs. The machines start malfunctioning.

Strange things are going on. There's one sample that keeps causing machines to stop or otherwise do things they shouldn't.

Creepiness ensues, but it turns out to all be nothing; the sample had been spilled and someone tried to cover up the actions that led to that by adding something to it, alcohol, I think it was.

There were absolutely no future technologies, aliens, space travel, supernatural occurrences. Just a fiction story based on what actually happens to actual equipment in real settings, if things go a bit wrong. Science-centric fiction.

With that definition, things like House and NCIS become Science Fiction, or the earlier term, "scientifiction."

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 319 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2273