MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

COME ONNNNNNNN! :<
#246984 - 02/19/11 05:17 PM

IT's ridickulous

Quote:

Pirates currently hold 30 ships and more than 660 hostages, not counting the attack against the Quest.

WTF!

Quote:

Pirates have recently tied hostages upside down and dragged them in the sea, locked them in freezers, beaten them and used plastic ties around their genitals.

How hard is it for the WHOLE GOD DAMN WORLD to NOT be able to deal with a bunch of lawless countryless pirates?!? Seriously?

1. Quit feeding the animals. Pay not one more ransom. No money = no pirate. Yes, some innocent hostages will suffer... but the number will be few compared to the many over time... and if I were captured with a zip-tie around my necrosing nuts locked in a freezer... at that point a death during a failed rescue beats a life of tortured agony for crying out loud.

2. Kill the fuckers. They hide out in a lawless governless land... so what are we worried about? Invading a soveriegn country? They have no soverign government. Fuck 'em. Two words... Tomahawk Missile.

It's just so ridiculous, like we live in the 1830's or some shit.

Not that it is the couple's fault for sailing their yaht "Quest" around the horn of Africa.... but helllllooooo.... were you armed sailing in dangerous international waters? Or were you counting on the good will of PIRATES?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: COME ONNNNNNNN! :< new [Re: GatKong]
#246988 - 02/19/11 05:44 PM

> 1. Quit feeding the animals. Pay not one more ransom. No money = no pirate. Yes, some
> innocent hostages will suffer... but the number will be few compared to the many over
> time... and if I were captured with a zip-tie around my necrosing nuts locked in a
> freezer... at that point a death during a failed rescue beats a life of tortured
> agony for crying out loud.

It's easy to say this when there is just about zero chance that you or anyone you know is going to end up in this situation. If you're some rich dude who owns yachts, and your family or whoever is captured, and you can make the whole situation go away for less than what you'll spend on the new Maserati... You're not going to be able to tell someone like that not to pay the ransom.

> 2. Kill the fuckers. They hide out in a lawless governless land... so what are we
> worried about? Invading a soveriegn country? They have no soverign government. Fuck
> 'em. Two words... Tomahawk Missile.

We *have* killed them, when they can be found. Again, it's easier said than done. These guys are always on the move and the ocean is a big place. When they're on land, they hide out in the civilian population. Where do we shoot the Tomahawk missile? Just systematically wipe out the population of Somalia, to get at a few pirates? The era when military might was a viable solution to most problems ended right around the time the USSR collapsed. The world today is just more complicated.

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Re: COME ONNNNNNNN! :< new [Re: DMala]
#247014 - 02/19/11 08:54 PM

> > 1. Quit feeding the animals. Pay not one more ransom. No money = no pirate. Yes,
> some
> > innocent hostages will suffer... but the number will be few compared to the many
> over
> > time... and if I were captured with a zip-tie around my necrosing nuts locked in a
> > freezer... at that point a death during a failed rescue beats a life of tortured
> > agony for crying out loud.
>
> It's easy to say this when there is just about zero chance that you or anyone you
> know is going to end up in this situation. If you're some rich dude who owns yachts,
> and your family or whoever is captured, and you can make the whole situation go away
> for less than what you'll spend on the new Maserati... You're not going to be able to
> tell someone like that not to pay the ransom.
>
> > 2. Kill the fuckers. They hide out in a lawless governless land... so what are we
> > worried about? Invading a soveriegn country? They have no soverign government. Fuck
> > 'em. Two words... Tomahawk Missile.
>
> We *have* killed them, when they can be found. Again, it's easier said than done.
> These guys are always on the move and the ocean is a big place. When they're on land,
> they hide out in the civilian population.

Don't the peg legs, eye patches, parrots and a fondness for grog give them away though?
Challenge em to a contest of insults!

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: COME ONNNNNNNN! :< new [Re: DMala]
#247033 - 02/19/11 11:09 PM

> The world today is just more complicated.

Why don't we just offer them some "free cake"!

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Not so good news new [Re: GatKong]
#247177 - 02/22/11 10:19 PM

R.I.P. but I have to agree that no one should exactly be sailing around that area...EVER.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: Not so good news new [Re: Hizzout]
#247180 - 02/22/11 11:31 PM

>R.I.P. but I have to agree that no one should exactly be sailing around that area...EVER.

But they did pick up 13 pirates.

Now we have two options...

1. Bring them back onto US soil, read them their miranda rights, let them lawyer-up, and get very little out of them except maybe some personal jail time.

2. Realize they were collected in international waters and so not entiteled to protections afforded by any particular country's laws, and they hail from no recognized organized government and so lack protection under any foreign government's laws, and so treat them like the countryless lawless pirates they are, and use them to find where the kingpins live. Here is a good application for the guided missile strike that was brought up before.

Seeing the past record of our current apologetic administration, I can almost guarentee we'll be using option 1.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Not so good news new [Re: GatKong]
#247213 - 02/23/11 06:48 AM

> 2. Realize they were collected in international waters and so not entiteled to
> protections afforded by any particular country's laws, and they hail from no
> recognized organized government and so lack protection under any foreign government's
> laws, and so treat them like the countryless lawless pirates they are, and use them
> to find where the kingpins live. Here is a good application for the guided missile
> strike that was brought up before.
>
> Seeing the past record of our current apologetic administration, I can almost
> guarentee we'll be using option 1.

I don't want to sound rude or make a false assumption about all Americans, but the government and some citizens sure have a way for invading or striking "unlawful" territories. Fuck UN, the nations and civilians, let's kill some bad guys (and whoever gets in the way) to "protect our country". It's ironic, because you have enough technology and resources to protect and defend it from home and there's no need to go out through an excuse. You make it sound like a terrorist, a serial killer and an American soldier are all the same... and they're not.

Reading some comments on the link, it's obvious some believe just because they're Americans they have the right to pass everywhere even without permission or law regulations. So if I travel through waters not ruled by anyone I can freely stay there like in my own home because I think only we rule the world.

Even worse, if the victims were not USA citizens you wouldn't give a damn about it. But as they're, now some expect to missile is way out... problem solved. No wonder intelligence may let pass something like 9/11, so enraged citizens can justify a crusade "to protect".

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#247214 - 02/23/11 06:56 AM

> > R.I.P. but I have to agree that no one should exactly be sailing around that
> area...EVER.
>
>
> But they did pick up 13 pirates.
>
> Now we have two options...
>
> 1. Bring them back onto US soil, read them their miranda rights, let them lawyer-up,
> and get very little out of them except maybe some personal jail time.
>
> 2. Realize they were collected in international waters and so not entiteled to
> protections afforded by any particular country's laws, and they hail from no
> recognized organized government and so lack protection under any foreign government's
> laws, and so treat them like the countryless lawless pirates they are, and use them
> to find where the kingpins live. Here is a good application for the guided missile
> strike that was brought up before.
>
> Seeing the past record of our current apologetic administration, I can almost
> guarentee we'll be using option 1.

3: Cut off their balls and dick, cauterize the wounds, return them to their country of origin via plane. Airdrop, of course. No parachute.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: Not so good news new [Re: BIOS-D]
#247240 - 02/23/11 07:30 PM

Bios, good comments. But your points assume it's because we're Americans, but it's not. ANY person in international waters is in areas not covered by ANY nations laws, and so that person is literally on their own. Even if you sail in international waters unarmed, IMHO you're a fool. Even going from from Florida to US islands you should be armed... because there is no 911 on open waters... it's you versus your attacker, and drug runners and fugitives sail those waters regularly. You can call for mayday, and hope in a few hours a merchant or nearby vessel will help you, but its a long shot.

"So if I travel through waters not ruled by anyone I can freely stay there like in my own home"

Yes you can. Again, you are on your own to defend yourself by any means available. And others may want your spot... or your boat... or your wife... Short of claiming citizenship of a country, you have no Government's protections.

"if the victims were not USA citizens you wouldn't give a damn about it."

Here, you're talking in a bit of a circle. Do you want the US to worry about it's own, or worry about everyone? Earlier you critisized the US for getting involved in everyone's business, and now in the same post you critize them for NOT. Well, honestly, let each person let their own country worry about their own citizens. Yes, I would sympathize with the victims, but where is their governmnet to protect them? The pirates currently hold 60 boats and 300 hostages... in part because other governments do literally NOTHING about their citizens being captured. It's not the US's job to protect the whole damn world... just it's own citizens. So yeah, the few times Americans are captured, I give a damn. The many many times other people are captured, I care, but its frustrating watching other governments just pay off the pirates with a nice big fat reward, so they do it again and again with better boats, better weapons, and better training. IMO the3 rest of the world is CREATING the problem by paying those ransoms.

Someone made the comment that I feel this way because it's not me in that situation.. which they say only because they don't know I WAS in that situation. I don't talk about it much, but I was classified MIA in Iraq when my unit accidently left me behind, and I defended and evaded capture for over 3 hours before getting myself back with a sister US unit. If captured, I've been through SERE school to teach me how to survive being a hostage, and would fully expect that it's up to me to escape on my own, or die trying.

As far as sending a missile strike into governless lawless land to take out a pirate stronghold... what's the problem? Do you want to arrest the pirates there? Under who'se laws? Theirs? It's their land. Yours? Your laws don't apply. Appeal to their government? They have none, which is the whole point. Maybe a harsh letter on nice stationairy will stop them? What's your solution?

Not trying to be overly aggressive with you, but you highlight the reason we still have such a world problem with them... other countries do nothing except pay them off. Woopee.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#247283 - 02/24/11 12:45 AM

> Not trying to be overly aggressive with you, but you highlight the reason we still
> have such a world problem with them... other countries do nothing except pay them
> off. Woopee.

That's not even true. There may be some isolated cases of governments paying pirates off, but in general it's shipping companies paying ransoms. Also, both France and Russia have sent in the special forces at various time - France when a cruise ship was boarded and Russia when it was a ship carrying military hardware.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

I only read your response, cos I knew I'd like it :) (nt) new [Re: Fever]
#247286 - 02/24/11 12:59 AM

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: Not so good news new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#247298 - 02/24/11 03:34 AM

> That's not even true. There may be some isolated cases of governments paying pirates off, but in general it's shipping companies paying ransoms.

True, your point that "private citizens" who pay the actual money of the ransoms, but those shipping companies and citizens all hail from a country run by a government whose state department is involved, and whose FBI equivalents are involved, and it is the policy of most foreign governments to encourage and facilitate the payment of ransom instead of intervening with force. IMO it should be a crime to pay a ransom, just like it's a crime to feed the bears in nature preserves. It makes more of them come around, which is dangerous.

Worse, some governments not only encourage payment, but go even further to encourage it by sanctioning "Kidnap Insurance", making payments almost a matter of business, like getting payment after someone crashes into your car.

Victim: "Here's my insurance company, call them to arrange payment, they're triple-A rated, so I'm sure you'll find them very cooperative and professional."

Pirate: "Thank you very much, sir. It's been a pleasure to have done business with you. Please come again."

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 852 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1878