View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

clutch
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/11/11
Send PM

Computer Cooling Fan Question
#246390 - 02/12/11 08:44 AM

I really did search for this topic first but came up empty.

I've removed the motherboard from the case and mounted it to a board so that I can easily put it in my cabinet.

However, when I removed the cooling fan, it pops up a warning message on boot requiring me to hit to continue. It thinks I'm going to fry the computer because of a missing fan.

Is there any way to trick the motherboard into thinking a fan is there? I mean hardware wise, other than just sticking the fan back on and let it just blow air for nothing.

I also have a HP Pavilion, so there is no option in BIOS to ignore warnings of this nature.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Computer Cooling Fan Question new [Re: clutch]
#246400 - 02/12/11 02:36 PM

I assume you mean a CCase fan, in which there's a hidden ooption somehwere in the BIOS, I've enabled it before. Otherwise you might as well stick the fan on and have itblow accross the hard drive.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

couriersud
Reged: 03/27/07
Send PM

#246401 - 02/12/11 02:38 PM

You're question would be more suited for a forum on a dedicated hardware site.

The fans are there for a reason. If you remove the CPU fan, the CPU will fry. The same applies to the (north/south)bridge fan.
And your motherboard needs some fresh air. Just buy a "silent" fan twice the size you'd need and let it run at 1/3 of it's max rpm. Inaudible.

clutch
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Computer Cooling Fan Question new [Re: couriersud]
#246407 - 02/12/11 04:25 PM

Thanks. I was referring to the case fan. I just figured someone on here has run into this problem. Like I said, my mame machine is a plain vanilla, mom & pop HP Pavilion which has most of the trickier bios settings disabled.

Edited by clutch (02/12/11 04:26 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#246433 - 02/13/11 12:55 AM

Normally if it's complaining about a missing fan, it's because the CPU FAN header is not used. Plug the CPU fan into that header instead of some other one and you should be set.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Computer Cooling Fan Question new [Re: R. Belmont]
#246435 - 02/13/11 01:25 AM

If it's an HP, it probably is complaining about the case fan. I had the same thing happen at work. They put a 2 wire fan in place of a 3 wire fan and I got that message at every boot. My resolution was just to leave it on all of the time because the IT department didn't want to spend a couple of bucks replacing the fan with the correct one.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#246450 - 02/13/11 09:09 AM

It's probably sensing the RPM of the fan on one or more fan headers. This requires 3-wire fans. If you unplug a fan, the system thinks that the fan has stopped spinning and gives you the error.

If you have at least one 3-wire fan in your system, you could probably wire in a jumper that connects only the 3rd wire over to another header and fakes it out. Essentially, split the RPM wire and send it to two fan headers.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

clutch
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Computer Cooling Fan Question new [Re: krick]
#246587 - 02/15/11 02:00 AM

Thanks. That is a good idea.

I destroyed the original case fan because I thought I could take the blade off. Lol! Those things are built for WW3! Needless to say, after prying the blade off, it didn't trick the m'board.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#246588 - 02/15/11 02:02 AM

The fan sends the RPM data down the yellow line, so if the fan isn't spinning, no data is sent. If it's spinning to fast since there's no friction on from the air, the mobo might be rejecting it.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#246600 - 02/15/11 04:20 AM

> Thanks. That is a good idea.
>
> I destroyed the original case fan because I thought I could take the blade off. Lol!
> Those things are built for WW3! Needless to say, after prying the blade off, it
> didn't trick the m'board.

Um... that's not going to work. The thing that the motherboard is complaining about is the lack of an RPM signal from a spinning fan.

In fact, I have problems with one of the fans in my computer because I replaced a smaller high-RPM fan with a larger low-RPM fan that actually moves more air and makes less noise. The problem is that the RPM on the new fan is so low, that the motherboard RPM sensor sometimes thinks that the fan has stopped spinning.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 142 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1638