View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Laser Disc Game
#245972 - 02/07/11 12:20 PM

Bah, it's been driving me nuts. I once saw a Laser Disc cab in a theme park but I've forgotten the name. I'm pretty sure it's The Last Bounty Hunter, but I'm not entirely sure.

It was a gun game set in the wild west and you had to put the gun in the holster. The game would moan if you didn't, but when you did you had to draw it quickly and fire at the opposition.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Laser Disc Game new [Re: Naoki]
#245973 - 02/07/11 12:45 PM

>I once saw a Laser Disc cab in a theme park but I've forgotten the name. I'm pretty sure
> it's The Last Bounty Hunter, but I'm not entirely sure. It was a gun game set in the
>wild west and you had to put the gun in the holster. The game would moan if you didn't,
> but when you did you had to draw it quickly and fire at the opposition.

It could be most of the games from the American Laser Games or maybe it was Global VR's later licensed variation of American Laser Games products in the Fast Draw Showdown series. It can't be Nintendo Wild Gunman...that's for sure.

The laser player system for that hardware probably isn't emulated yet iirc.

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Laser Disc Game new [Re: gregf]
#245975 - 02/07/11 01:26 PM

Wouldn't be surprised.

Probably by ALG. Doesn't help I didn't see much of the videos.

----

By gods I've found it!

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#245983 - 02/07/11 03:16 PM

> Wouldn't be surprised.
>
> Probably by ALG. Doesn't help I didn't see much of the videos.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#246002 - 02/07/11 08:08 PM

> Wouldn't be surprised.
>
> Probably by ALG. Doesn't help I didn't see much of the videos.

ALG does indeed have a game called The Last Bounty Hunter.

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=1194

- Stiletto

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

#246006 - 02/07/11 08:39 PM

that sounds like fast draw showdown.that pcb is not to easy to find in workable codition.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Laser Disc Game new [Re: Stiletto]
#246008 - 02/07/11 08:58 PM

Actually that looks to be the one, thanks for the vid

Edited by Naoki (02/07/11 10:07 PM)

----

By gods I've found it!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Laser Disc Game new [Re: BIOS-D]
#246010 - 02/07/11 09:51 PM

For those 40 fortysomethings - do you remember a projection light gun game that was of the same genre as ALG, which had pistols and a shotgun?

I think the screen was like 40"
We are talking 1977/78.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Nintendo WG maybe? new [Re: ]
#246012 - 02/07/11 10:43 PM

>For those 40 fortysomethings - do you remember a projection light gun game that was of
> the same genre as ALG, which had pistols and a shotgun? I think the screen was like
>40". We are talking 1977/78.

*assuming we're talking same game, rolls out classic standard once again* ;-)

This was released in late 1974 and eventually appeared in arcades and other places starting around spring/summer of 1975. I first played this at a Garden Grove, CA Straw Hat pizza parlor around May or June 1975. It was at a couple other arcades that I went to.

The most impressive sight was in 1978/1979 when Knott's Berry Farm's Buffalo Nickel arcade had 3 WG cabs lined up side-by-side along with earlier version of Nintendo Shooting Trainer. These were popular because there would be a line to play the game or crowds watching how players do. Knott's Berry Farm got rid of all the cabs by 1980.

I uploaded the WG.pdf manual here last year in case folks may have had any interest. There may have been only 1 or 2 downloads iirc. Nah...nobody else here likes WG...I guess. *j/k*

Here's a couple clips to watch for reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxwikshonsk Shane's excerpt clip

--7 likes, 1 dislikes--

And Pacific Novelty's clip which is an excerpt of C. Baldwin's "Wild Gunman" documentary film (made in late 1970s) which uses some scenes from the arcade game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgBwG0svJWI

--7 likes, 1 dislikes--

OT: After seeing 1 dislike of the clip....who the heck doesn't like the game? Heck with that person. Now I really want to see WG emulated just to piss off that negative naysayer.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Laser Disc Game new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#246020 - 02/07/11 11:02 PM

>that sounds like fast draw showdown.that pcb is not to easy to find in workable codition.

*in case any ALG fans are curious about current status*

There is a placement driver file with roms earlier dumped from some of the pcbs.

http://mamedev.org/source/src/mame/drivers/alg.c.html

--
Amiga 500 + sony ldp1450 laserdisc
--

Although the laser player system is already reference within the source code, the particular Sony laser player unit has yet to be emulated. If it were emulated, it would have its own driver file like 3 other laser player systems already do.

-------
http://mamedev.org/source/src/emu/machine/laserdsc.h.html

LASERDISC_TYPE_SONY_LDP1450 /* Sony LDP-1450 */

http://mamedev.org/source/src/ldplayer/ldplayer.c.html

http://mamedev.org/source/src/emu/machine/index.html

Pioneer PR-8210
Pioneer LD-V1000
Philips 22VP931
---

The other issue is the particular hardware system, similar to one of the Amigas, probably isn't emulated yet....maybe it is on MESS side. There are a couple arcade game drivers for games that used hardware layout, similar to Amiga, emulated such as Arcadia brand games and another one which I forget also uses Amiga-type hardware.

If the laser player system is ever emulated, and if the alg driver is updated to a working order, then remaining issue would be to have laser discs data captured in an appropriate uncompressed, lossless data format that MAME would support.

It may be a while before any further laser disc emulation occurs.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Nintendo WG maybe? new [Re: gregf]
#246343 - 02/11/11 09:28 PM

Thanks for digging that one up.

I remember going to Knotts and playing the very same game.

It would be nice to see this in Mame.

A couple of those games were in arcades in the UK.

I just couldn't remember the name of the game.

Thanks again.

Naoki
Send PM

#246346 - 02/11/11 10:01 PM

Sorry gregf, wasn't N's Wild Gunamn as far as I remember

----

By gods I've found it!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Nintendo WG maybe? new [Re: ]
#246350 - 02/11/11 10:53 PM

> It would be nice to see this in Mame.

It's not a video game. It's barely even electrical. There are limits

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Nintendo WG maybe? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#246354 - 02/11/11 11:08 PM

>> It would be nice to see this in Mame.

>It's not a video game. It's barely even electrical. There are limits.

No. We'll get around that....I'll be darned if that naysayer (negative comment) on YouTube has their way.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#246355 - 02/11/11 11:24 PM

>Thanks for digging that one up. I just couldn't remember the name of the game.

Credits should go to Mr. Goodwraith and Stiletto since they both helped me find any info back in spring 2002 and then things progressed from there. I was 10 years of age when first seeing the game. Being a kid then, a kid never writes down those details of game names....but just has fun playing the game and that's it. I never knew it was marketed by Nintendo until getting a flyer in 2003.

>I remember going to Knotts and playing the very same game. A couple of those games were
> in arcades in the UK.

Knott's Berry Farms Buffalo Nickel arcade building was very impressive for its times back in 1977 through the 1990s. It was amazing seeing 3 WG cab and 1 Shooting Trainer all lined up in a row and there would be lines of folks wanting to play or maybe watch the action.

Orclord (UK also) played this in UK and remembers it.....especially the "Bast on water tower" cowboy opponent as he describes it. He and myself have a WG manual and a flyer since we're fans of the game.

>It would be nice to see this in Mame.

It does use pcbs for controlling the game play, but handling the screen outputs of the game won't be easy since it uses two film projectors and then having to mimic the shutter effect so only one film is visible while the second film (video ouput) is disabled. Even if any film reels are found, I can see having to spend money for restoring the film (if possible) and then paying mucho money to a film processing business to just scan and capture each film cell.

I can see ALG's Mad Dog series emulated a lot sooner.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Nintendo WG maybe? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#246423 - 02/12/11 10:08 PM

> > It would be nice to see this in Mame.
>
> It's not a video game. It's barely even electrical. There are limits

Neither are arcade coin pushers, but I hear those thieving machines is going to be in Mame. So why not something that needs to be documented and archived like Nintendo WG?

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#246429 - 02/13/11 12:01 AM

>>> It would be nice to see this in Mame.
>>It's not a video game. It's barely even electrical. There are limits

>Neither are arcade coin pushers, but I hear those thieving machines is going to be in
>MAME. So why not something that needs to be documented and archived like Nintendo WG?

I'd agree, but will pass on argument part......until something....anything can be found. (film reels, parts, pcb etc.) Flyers and manuals (ideal to have, which I do, and WG.pdf was uploaded here last year too) aren't enough at this time.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#246432 - 02/13/11 12:53 AM

> > > It would be nice to see this in Mame.
> >
> > It's not a video game. It's barely even electrical. There are limits
>
> Neither are arcade coin pushers, but I hear those thieving machines is going to be in
> Mame. So why not something that needs to be documented and archived like Nintendo WG?

Incorrect. The coin pusher we're interested in has a CPU, ROM, RAM, audio, and 2 video screens.

russ h.
Reged: 12/19/03
Send PM

#254695 - 05/16/11 10:32 PM

An excellent video has just turned up on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmdOHmnbYHw

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

Re: Nintendo WG maybe? new [Re: russ h.]
#254698 - 05/16/11 11:09 PM

I don't think Greg's heart will handle the overload

Edited by Antny (05/16/11 11:09 PM)

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#254702 - 05/16/11 11:31 PM

> An excellent video has just turned up on youtube
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmdOHmnbYHw

:-O

Send gregf to France! Paypal accepted.

- Stiletto

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#254740 - 05/17/11 05:59 AM

>An excellent video has just turned up on youtube

Thanks. I'll have to grab that video clip. It shows a decent, basic reference of the mechanics of the game without going into the nitty, gritty fine details of the mechanics of how the game exactly operates. It does use a couple pcbs along with two film projectors.

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=arcadedb&id=408

The film reel being shown in the clip is of Film Reel B which I do recall playing once or twice back in the 1970s.

When seeing the cabs back then, I have usually seen Film Reel A set up the most, and Film Reel D being the second most, Film Reel B being third, and Film Reel C rarely set up. That's from my own visits at arcades that had the cab temporarily in operation such as long closed Straw Hat pizza (in Garden Grove, CA), Time Out (Westminster,CA mall), and Knott's Berry Farms Buffalo Nickel arcade back in late 1970s.

I never saw another WG cab in person after 1979.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#254742 - 05/17/11 06:18 AM Attachment: plastic.jpg 43 KB (0 downloads)

The guy in the...shirt...looks absolutely creepy. He looks like a living wax sculpture or an alien that has taken over a human body.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Nintendo WG maybe? new [Re: Antny]
#254743 - 05/17/11 06:18 AM

>I don't think Greg's heart will handle the overload

The lass in photo will do. ;-)

Why couldn't the Nintendo flyer advertisement be designed similar to the photo?!

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Nintendo WG maybe? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#254745 - 05/17/11 06:22 AM

>The guy in the...shirt...looks absolutely creepy. He looks like a living wax sculpture
> or an alien that has taken over a human body.

LOL. Unfortunately the shirt isn't helping out either.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Nintendo WG maybe? new [Re: Stiletto]
#254746 - 05/17/11 06:30 AM

>Send gregf to France! Paypal accepted.

I'll be satisfied with paying for duplicate copies of any of the film reels some time later. Big ticket purchase items isn't possible these days on my side.

From what I can tell...it looks like the cab is at a bar/saloon at a motorcycle bike show event in France. I wonder if stephh is within distance of that bar/saloon. ;-)

stephh
Happy Bonze
Reged: 07/23/06
Send PM

#254805 - 05/17/11 10:15 PM

> I wonder if stephh is within distance of that bar/saloon. ;-)

About 210 kilometers (approx. 135 miles from Paris) ... And unfortunately, I have no car (nor driving licence BTW) to go there

Steph from The Ultimate Patchers

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Nintendo WG maybe? new [Re: stephh]
#254813 - 05/17/11 11:05 PM

>> I wonder if stephh is within distance of that bar/saloon.

>About 210 kilometers (approx. 135 miles from Paris) ... And unfortunately, I have no car
> (nor driving licence BTW) to go there

No problem. That would have been something if you were nearby that business. They didn't mention the name of the bar/saloon that has that cab, but it is somewhere near where the motorcycle rally show takes place.

Anyway...you now see why I enjoyed playing that game even though it doesn't last as long as playing Bonze Adventure. ;-)

Quantum Leaper
OCRer and Monkey Typist for Galaxy Game
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Orion spiral arm of the Milky Way
Send PM

Re: Nintendo WG maybe? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#254842 - 05/18/11 04:09 AM

> The guy in the...shirt...looks absolutely creepy. He looks like a living wax
> sculpture or an alien that has taken over a human body.

I think he is lost somewhere in the 'uncanny valley'...

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

#254843 - 05/18/11 04:10 AM

Was "the kill" based on accuracy or timing? I guess I should not be encouraging you.

Edited by Antny (05/18/11 04:10 AM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Nintendo WG maybe? new [Re: Antny]
#254913 - 05/18/11 11:11 PM

>Was "the kill" based on accuracy or timing?

The breakdown should be 95% timing and 5% accuracy.

The various cowboy opponents have a speed variety on the various film reels. Some opponents have fewer cell frames which means that the opponent is a tougher opponent compared to easier opponents that have more cell frames. There's extra printed sheets (not in the manual) that provide a cycle frame reference so repair techs can ensure to align the film reels properly when setting up the film to be played through the film projector systems. So timing is the main factor.

The accuracy part relates to the fact that the player has to make sure the pistol (laser output) hits the film screen. It won't do any good if the player can't aim the gun at the screen.

The film screen is coated with metallic particles that bounce the gun out put back to the cab unit. Sensors are mounted on front side of cab (cab side that faces towards the film screen). The sensors receive the bounce back signal from the projection screen and then relay the signal feed to the pcb. The pcb then compares whether the player was faster or not faster than the cowboy opponent and then proceeds to have one or the other projectors' lens quickly covered so the action sequence is played.

Both projectors are running different film reels at same time. The two film reels (primary and secondary) have exact same length. Each projector has its own lens cover. One projector plays while the other projector is covered, but that changes when a player wins a round. If a player loses, there is no changing of the film projector output sequence.

It is possible to lose all 5 matches with one projector covering the entire gameplay while the other projector remains covered the entire time during gameplay.

It only changes when a player wins a match and then the different film output is played from the second projector.

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

#254924 - 05/19/11 12:18 AM

The whole camera approach seemed logical for it's time. These reels look like they are in pretty good shape for being so old. Too bad they couldn't be captured and preserved for the future driver. Maybe RBelmont already started it? Let's start a send Greg to France fund. My son has an old cowboy suit for you when you go there.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 194 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5144