MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

anybody ever tried to play a video that was still being downloaded (torrent)
#245776 - 02/05/11 09:11 PM

i just fired up hot tub time machine while it was still downloading, and VLC plays a random video from another hard disk on my computer.

wtf? is this a VLC thing or what?

i learned everything i know from KC

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: anybody ever tried to play a video that was still being downloaded (torrent) new [Re: jopezu]
#245780 - 02/05/11 10:21 PM

> i just fired up hot tub time machine while it was still downloading, and VLC plays a
> random video from another hard disk on my computer.
>
> wtf? is this a VLC thing or what?

The only possible explanation I can think of.

1. BitTorrent allocates 4GB or whatever the file size is for the video you are downloading, and works on filling it from the torrent.
2. Previously, that was "blank space". But blank space isn't zeroes, it contains previous content that you deleted or moved (unless you purposely zero your free space.
3. The random video used to be located in the space where you are currently downloading the torrent.

And yes, that's pretty impossible too.

Otherwise, I got nothin'. *shrug*

[EDIT] does it show in the "recently opened" that it accessed that other drive?

- Stiletto

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

Re: anybody ever tried to play a video that was still being downloaded (torrent) new [Re: Stiletto]
#245783 - 02/05/11 11:36 PM

> > i just fired up hot tub time machine while it was still downloading, and VLC plays
> a
> > random video from another hard disk on my computer.
> >
> > wtf? is this a VLC thing or what?
>
> The only possible explanation I can think of.
>
> 1. BitTorrent allocates 4GB or whatever the file size is for the video you are
> downloading, and works on filling it from the torrent.
> 2. Previously, that was "blank space". But blank space isn't zeroes, it contains
> previous content that you deleted or moved (unless you purposely zero your free
> space.
> 3. The random video used to be located in the space where you are currently
> downloading the torrent.
>
> And yes, that's pretty impossible too.
>
> Otherwise, I got nothin'. *shrug*

> [EDIT] does it show in the "recently opened" that it accessed that other drive?

no, that was the first thing i checked. i keep thinking about this, and it's blowing my fucking mind. i have no clue how this is possible.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: anybody ever tried to play a video that was still being downloaded (torrent) new [Re: jopezu]
#245790 - 02/06/11 01:46 AM

Wow, never had this issue. Then again I mostly let it complete atleast 70~80% of the video befre playing..

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

#245791 - 02/06/11 01:47 AM

I have, I think it was an mp3, and it played some other random song, nothing that I even had on my hard drive. So I figured maybe I had picked up some pieces of something that one the peers was also downloading. But when it did finish downloading, it worked fine, and was the correct song.

www.randyrobbinsmusic.com
RandyRobbinsMusic on Facebook

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#245793 - 02/06/11 01:55 AM

> i just fired up hot tub time machine while it was still downloading, and VLC plays a
> random video from another hard disk on my computer.
>
> wtf? is this a VLC thing or what?

I've seen the same thing here quite a few times.

Moose

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#245794 - 02/06/11 01:57 AM

> > > i just fired up hot tub time machine while it was still downloading, and VLC
> plays
> > a
> > > random video from another hard disk on my computer.
> > >
> > > wtf? is this a VLC thing or what?
> >
> > The only possible explanation I can think of.
> >
> > 1. BitTorrent allocates 4GB or whatever the file size is for the video you are
> > downloading, and works on filling it from the torrent.
> > 2. Previously, that was "blank space". But blank space isn't zeroes, it contains
> > previous content that you deleted or moved (unless you purposely zero your free
> > space.
> > 3. The random video used to be located in the space where you are currently
> > downloading the torrent.
> >
> > And yes, that's pretty impossible too.
> >
> > Otherwise, I got nothin'. *shrug*
>
>
> > [EDIT] does it show in the "recently opened" that it accessed that other drive?
>
> no, that was the first thing i checked. i keep thinking about this, and it's blowing
> my fucking mind. i have no clue how this is possible.

The random space scenario has plausibility. I'd take a proper amount of dumb luck, but it could happen.

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

Re: anybody ever tried to play a video that was still being downloaded (torrent) new [Re: snake78]
#245797 - 02/06/11 02:41 AM

> I have, I think it was an mp3, and it played some other random song, nothing that I
> even had on my hard drive. So I figured maybe I had picked up some pieces of
> something that one the peers was also downloading. But when it did finish
> downloading, it worked fine, and was the correct song.

mine started playing a vacation video i took with my camera. i have zero clue how this is even possible.

i can only guess that there's some kind of metadata in the video concerning file location that gets botched and VLC fucks it up. it started playing my home video about halfway through and only a few seconds of it.

completely odd.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#245798 - 02/06/11 03:36 AM

> mine started playing a vacation video i took with my camera. i have zero clue how
> this is even possible.

The torrent client pre-allocates blocks on your HDD but doesn't overwrite any data that used to be there until the new data arrives to replace it.

Edited by R. Belmont (02/06/11 03:36 AM)

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

Re: anybody ever tried to play a video that was still being downloaded (torrent) new [Re: R. Belmont]
#245801 - 02/06/11 03:48 AM

> > mine started playing a vacation video i took with my camera. i have zero clue how
> > this is even possible.
>
> The torrent client pre-allocates blocks on your HDD but doesn't overwrite any data
> that used to be there until the new data arrives to replace it.

so, the specific instance of the video that played (my home video) was one that i had deleted in windows?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#245802 - 02/06/11 03:49 AM

Post the vaca vid.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#245803 - 02/06/11 03:50 AM

Blow your fucking mind.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#245804 - 02/06/11 03:50 AM

Goddamn pirate.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#245805 - 02/06/11 03:51 AM

Why did you delete the vaca vid after I requestered it to be postered.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#245807 - 02/06/11 04:07 AM

> > > mine started playing a vacation video i took with my camera. i have zero clue how
> > > this is even possible.
> >
> > The torrent client pre-allocates blocks on your HDD but doesn't overwrite any data
> > that used to be there until the new data arrives to replace it.
>
>
> so, the specific instance of the video that played (my home video) was one that i had
> deleted in windows?

Yeah, or copied around, or something like that.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: anybody ever tried to play a video that was still being downloaded (torrent) new [Re: Smitdogg]
#245822 - 02/06/11 06:14 AM

> Post the vaca vid.

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

Re: anybody ever tried to play a video that was still being downloaded (torrent) new [Re: Smitdogg]
#245836 - 02/06/11 08:17 AM

> Why did you delete the vaca vid after I requestered it to be postered.

i didn't. i suspect i deleted a version of it long ago. i'm not uploading a 130mb video of my dogs on the beach. sorry. maybe if upload speeds were decent...

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: anybody ever tried to play a video that was still being downloaded (torrent) new [Re: R. Belmont]
#245839 - 02/06/11 08:47 AM

> > > > mine started playing a vacation video i took with my camera. i have zero clue
> how
> > > > this is even possible.
> > >
> > > The torrent client pre-allocates blocks on your HDD but doesn't overwrite any
> data
> > > that used to be there until the new data arrives to replace it.
> >
> >
> > so, the specific instance of the video that played (my home video) was one that i
> had
> > deleted in windows?
>
> Yeah, or copied around, or something like that.

Ah, so I WAS on the right track.

- Stiletto

Edited by Stiletto (02/06/11 08:47 AM)

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#245862 - 02/06/11 04:04 PM

Check out

http://www.ant.com/

It works on your browser, but you can snag youtube and other videos. :-/

& yeah, you can watch as it's downloading. But it will stop if... eh, nevermind. You pay for cable.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#245864 - 02/06/11 04:43 PM

> > Why did you delete the vaca vid after I requestered it to be postered.
>
> i didn't. i suspect i deleted a version of it long ago. i'm not uploading a 130mb
> video of my dogs on the beach. sorry. maybe if upload speeds were decent...

So we're calling it "dogs on the beach" now? noted.

So hard to keep up on the latest euphemisms.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 384 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2075