MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

I guess it makes sense...
#245587 - 02/03/11 03:45 PM

Quote:

Solo claimed that his Millennium Falcon "made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs". A parsec was a unit of distance, not time. Solo was not referring directly to his ship's speed when he made this claim. Instead, he was referring to the shorter route he was able to travel by skirting the nearby Maw black hole cluster, thus making the run in under the standard distance. By moving closer to the black holes, Solo managed to cut the distance down to about 11.5 parsecs.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: I guess it makes sense... new [Re: italie]
#245589 - 02/03/11 04:15 PM

Of course it makes sense, that's the whole point of "warp" drive - It involves distortion of space in one form or another. More effective "warp" would reduce the distance you travel to get there.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#245598 - 02/03/11 05:45 PM

Isn't there a similar debate about the 20,000 leagues under the sea? Something about the use of "leagues" being the wrong measurement unit.

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

Re: I guess it makes sense... new [Re: Hizzout]
#245599 - 02/03/11 05:53 PM

> Isn't there a similar debate about the 20,000 leagues under the sea? Something about
> the use of "leagues" being the wrong measurement unit.

correct, 20,000 leagues is an impossible vertical depth; the title refers to the distance traveled while "under the sea".

i learned everything i know from KC

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: I guess it makes sense... new [Re: jopezu]
#245608 - 02/03/11 06:36 PM

> > Isn't there a similar debate about the 20,000 leagues under the sea? Something
> about
> > the use of "leagues" being the wrong measurement unit.
>
> correct, 20,000 leagues is an impossible vertical depth; the title refers to the
> distance traveled while "under the sea".

& Even if the water was that deep - it still wouldn't be under "the sea" because that would be into the ground (or into molten rock perhaps). Under the surface would've been more accurate... But still. :-/ :-] Actually, "While" under the surface would've been better. And I guess they were using "20,000" the way we use "over 9,000" today.

LEVEL-4

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

#245612 - 02/03/11 07:31 PM

It's mainly because Lucas just strung a bunch of words together that he picked out of random Asimov books.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: I guess it makes sense... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#245640 - 02/04/11 05:02 AM

> > > Isn't there a similar debate about the 20,000 leagues under the sea? Something
> > about
> > > the use of "leagues" being the wrong measurement unit.
> >
> > correct, 20,000 leagues is an impossible vertical depth; the title refers to the
> > distance traveled while "under the sea".
>
> & Even if the water was that deep - it still wouldn't be under "the sea" because that
> would be into the ground (or into molten rock perhaps). Under the surface would've
> been more accurate... But still. :-/ :-] Actually, "While" under the surface would've
> been better. And I guess they were using "20,000" the way we use "over 9,000" today.

Well, "leagues" isn't a depth measurement anyway, "fathoms" is. Yes, they apparently traveled 60,000 miles while underwater.

You have to make allowances for imprecise or inconsistent grammar in titles. That's the law.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#245706 - 02/04/11 08:13 PM

> Solo claimed that his Millennium Falcon "made the Kessel Run in less than twelve
> parsecs". A parsec was a unit of distance, not time. Solo was not referring directly
> to his ship's speed when he made this claim. Instead, he was referring to the shorter
> route he was able to travel by skirting the nearby Maw black hole cluster, thus
> making the run in under the standard distance. By moving closer to the black holes,
> Solo managed to cut the distance down to about 11.5 parsecs.

... or so the fanboys rationalized it, before it was ultimately embraced as an official explanation by the Expanded Universe authors. Agreed with igamabob, this was never the original explanation or excuse, they were just playing sci-fi buzzword bingo writing the script.

- Stiletto

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1168