Pages: 1

DR
Skeptical Linkbot
Reged: 04/05/07
Loc: UK
Send PM

What could possibly go wrong?
#245349 - 02/01/11 04:33 PM

At a gun show in Phoenix , Arizona on January 23, 2011, an undercover investigator bought a Glock 9mm similar to the one used by the shooter in Tucson 15 days before and three 33-round extended magazines, no questions, no background check.

There is no sin except stupidity.

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: What could possibly go wrong? new [Re: DR]
#245350 - 02/01/11 04:36 PM

> At a gun show in Phoenix , Arizona on January 23, 2011, an undercover investigator
> bought a Glock 9mm similar to the one used by the shooter in Tucson 15 days before
> and three 33-round extended magazines, no questions, no background check.

Capability is not a crime, intent is.

DR
Skeptical Linkbot
Reged: 04/05/07
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: What could possibly go wrong? new [Re: twisty]
#245352 - 02/01/11 04:54 PM

> > At a gun show in Phoenix , Arizona on January 23, 2011, an undercover investigator
> > bought a Glock 9mm similar to the one used by the shooter in Tucson 15 days before
> > and three 33-round extended magazines, no questions, no background check.
>
> Capability is not a crime, intent is.

Very true so it might be a good idea to remove the capability.

There is no sin except stupidity.

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#245354 - 02/01/11 05:18 PM

> > > At a gun show in Phoenix , Arizona on January 23, 2011, an undercover
> investigator
> > > bought a Glock 9mm similar to the one used by the shooter in Tucson 15 days
> before
> > > and three 33-round extended magazines, no questions, no background check.
> >
> > Capability is not a crime, intent is.
>
> Very true so it might be a good idea to remove the capability.

I thought it was legal in Arizona to carry a loaded firearm anywhere you wanted - no questions asked.

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#245356 - 02/01/11 05:59 PM

So if a drunk driver mows down a family on the road, we should all lose the right to drive?

Sorry, I do not accept this logic. The majority should never be punished for the actions of a tiny minority.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#245358 - 02/01/11 06:29 PM

Unfortunately your country is so full of firearms it's easier to just enter someone else's house and grab one "used for protection". While is true you can get one in the black market, it still gets harder for minor criminals because of its availability. Your only hope relies if suddenly everyone stopped manufacturing ammunition and they get regulated somehow (which of course would be condemned unconstitutional and fail later).

Hunting might need to be forbidden too.

EDIT: I didn't notice you are from UK, well you still get the idea. :P

Edited by BIOS-D (02/01/11 06:35 PM)

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: What could possibly go wrong? new [Re: BIOS-D]
#245382 - 02/01/11 10:00 PM

> > Very true so it might be a good idea to remove the capability.
>
> Unfortunately your country is so full of firearms it's easier to just enter someone
> else's house and grab one "used for protection". While is true you can get one in the
> black market, it still gets harder for minor criminals because of its availability.
> Your only hope relies if suddenly everyone stopped manufacturing ammunition and they
> get regulated somehow (which of course would be condemned unconstitutional and fail
> later).
>
> Hunting might need to be forbidden too.
>
> EDIT: I didn't notice you are from UK, well you still get the idea. :P

I recall you replied to another topic, putting America down for their right to bear arms. And you said you were glad your neighbor didn't have a gun (if he should happen to go crazy). But, just like drugs are illegal in America - anyone that wants them will find a way to get them. That's no exception in Mexico where guns are banned. Don't you wish all the law abiding citizens had a way to protect their homes/property and loved ones from criminal scum?

Just saying.

LEVEL-4

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: What could possibly go wrong? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#245384 - 02/01/11 10:20 PM

> > > Very true so it might be a good idea to remove the capability.
> >
> > Unfortunately your country is so full of firearms it's easier to just enter someone
> > else's house and grab one "used for protection". While is true you can get one in
> the
> > black market, it still gets harder for minor criminals because of its availability.
> > Your only hope relies if suddenly everyone stopped manufacturing ammunition and
> they
> > get regulated somehow (which of course would be condemned unconstitutional and fail
> > later).
> >
> > Hunting might need to be forbidden too.
> >
> > EDIT: I didn't notice you are from UK, well you still get the idea. :P
>
> I recall you replied to another topic, putting America down for their right to bear
> arms. And you said you were glad your neighbor didn't have a gun (if he should happen
> to go crazy). But, just like drugs are illegal in America - anyone that wants them
> will find a way to get them. That's no exception in Mexico where guns are banned.
> Don't you wish all the law abiding citizens had a way to protect their homes/property
> and loved ones from criminal scum?
>
> Just saying.

Guns are banned in Mexico because the government doesn't want the citizens to start a new revolution. It's the same reason why there's no death penalty.

I'm not against people owning guns as long as they're properly registered and capable of handling said guns (e.g. trained to use them and NOT FUCKING CRAZY) but it seems a lot of people in the US have a problem with gun control.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: What could possibly go wrong? new [Re: Robbbert]
#245385 - 02/01/11 10:21 PM

> > > > At a gun show in Phoenix , Arizona on January 23, 2011, an undercover
> > investigator
> > > > bought a Glock 9mm similar to the one used by the shooter in Tucson 15 days
> > before
> > > > and three 33-round extended magazines, no questions, no background check.
> > >
> > > Capability is not a crime, intent is.
> >
>
> I thought it was legal in Arizona to carry a loaded firearm anywhere you wanted - no
> questions asked.

As I understand it, pretty much, except for the obvious exceptions, like federal buildings.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: What could possibly go wrong? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#245395 - 02/01/11 11:57 PM

> I recall you replied to another topic, putting America down for their right to bear
> arms. And you said you were glad your neighbor didn't have a gun (if he should happen
> to go crazy). But, just like drugs are illegal in America - anyone that wants them
> will find a way to get them. That's no exception in Mexico where guns are banned.
> Don't you wish all the law abiding citizens had a way to protect their homes/property
> and loved ones from criminal scum?
>
> Just saying.

I totally agree with what you're saying. Putting me in your position as an American citizen, if i lived in a wood house with an easier to climb wood fence and fragile windows with no protection bars of course i will be willing to own a gun. I'm talking about a suburban area where neighbors are separated by yards, not stereotyping the way Americans live everywhere.

The best we can do here is to shut ourselves in as best as possible, have a low profile and organize a "neighborhood alarm" (basically help each other when a burglary alarm is heard). Having friends in the police helps too.

Reading various debates like this, i recall you all have been arguing with Europeans about "finding a way to get them anyway" too. However it looks like they don't have the same problem, at least not in the degree U.S.A. has it.

In resume and what i meant is everything is a matter of causes and consequences. Banning or controlling firearms in U.S.A. it basically impossible for today status. So there's no other choice but to live with it.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: What could possibly go wrong? new [Re: Foxhack]
#245396 - 02/02/11 12:14 AM

Quote:

Guns are banned in Mexico because the government doesn't want the citizens to start a new revolution.

And this is exactly why guns are legal in the states, or at least it was the original intent of the 2nd amendment. It grants U.S. citizens the ability to fight back should the government, police, or military get out of line as well as protecting oneself in the case of self defense.

If one was crazy enough they could kill someone with a pencil. Doesn't mean pencils should be illegal.

FatTrucker
Randomly pressing buttons in hope of success.
Reged: 01/31/06
Loc: London UK
Send PM

Re: What could possibly go wrong? new [Re: twisty]
#245401 - 02/02/11 12:39 AM

>
> So if a drunk driver mows down a family on the road, we should all lose the right to
> drive?
>
> Sorry, I do not accept this logic. The majority should never be punished for the
> actions of a tiny minority.

Its difficult for us to really 'get' in the UK because private gun ownership is rare and heavily regulated. Doesn't stop the killings (they mainly use knives over here) but its less immediate and indiscriminate, its also far more difficult for one nutter to take out multiple people on their own.

Re the car thing, its probably worth making the point that while you can misuse a car its primary purpose is conveyance they aren't actually designed to kill.
Guns though are designed as offensive or defensive weapons intended to injure, maim or kill making it very easy for someone with the wrong wiring to kill people.

I can't see our system working over there, purely because there are so many guns in private hands, that making it illegal for lawful citizens to own guns at this point would simply ensure that the criminals hold all the cards. I must admit I quite like the fact that in the US you're allowed to defend yourself with lethal force when its warranted.

Over here, if you so much as threaten them, its often the victim dragged in by the Police. Unfortunately years of government directed targets and misguided political interference has left our Police force more interested in collars on paper than public protection.

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

Re: What could possibly go wrong? new [Re: Hizzout]
#245408 - 02/02/11 01:03 AM

> And this is exactly why guns are legal in the states, or at least it was the original
> intent of the 2nd amendment. It grants U.S. citizens the ability to fight back should
> the government, police, or military get out of line as well as protecting oneself in
> the case of self defense.

Though now with the technological improvements in military gade weapons the average citizen is vastly out gunned and no match for the military.

Kevin Eshbach

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: What could possibly go wrong? new [Re: Foxhack]
#245413 - 02/02/11 02:14 AM

> Guns are banned in Mexico because the government doesn't want the citizens to start a
> new revolution. It's the same reason why there's no death penalty.

And i'm happy with it, imagine Atenco but with pistols instead of machetes.

It wouldn't have been some deaths but a massive massacre.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 360 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2481