MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

How safe is Hotmail / Windows Live mail?
#244624 - 01/26/11 03:01 AM

(Disclaimer: I posted this same question (but slightly different) at GameTZ, but this forum has a very different userbase, not to mention most of you guys are pretty awesome. So I figured I'd post this here too.)

This is a bit of an odd question, but I need some answers.

I have a lot of friends that insist on using MSN Messenger. I've kept my old MSN account around in case they need to contact me, but over the years I've noticed their accounts keep getting hacked into by spambots... hell, my best friend had his twelve year old email account hijacked by some jackass who found his username / password posted on a Russian "hacker" forum.

I ask this because I've been thinking of using a catch-all contact email at Live. Mostly because the Gmail and Yahoo alternatives were already taken, Live was the only one I managed to grab when it went uh, live. I don't want some h4x0r d00d who grabbed random tools off the internet to hack into it and end up wiping everything or something. I tried googling but all I got were sites that offered hacking tools... dammit.

So... any comments? Or should I try another free email provider?

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: How safe is Hotmail / Windows Live mail? new [Re: Foxhack]
#244625 - 01/26/11 04:02 AM

I don't think Hotmail is any more likely hacked than Yahoo! mail or Gmail.

I've had it happen to me once. The hacker just added spam links to my signature and sent mail to everyone in my address book. I was able to go in and delete the signature with the unwanted links. I then changed the password and have never had another problem.

I also have had someone post on Yahoo! Groups using my email address. It was weird because they used a different nickname than mine. I was able to delete the post but I'm sure it went to everyone in the group. I figured they did not log into my Yahoo! account because there was no sent mail. They somehow spoofed my email and sent a message to the group.

I hope all of these hackers burn in hell!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 421 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 926