MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Anyone set up a wireless bridge lately?
#244492 - 01/25/11 03:38 AM

Haven't played with bridges in a bit, not up to speed on the latest and greatest. Looking to bridge ~200-250ft.

I have a few directional antennas lying around (16db I believe) that I'd like to be able to use with the setup too. (sma, reverse polarity, 2.4Ghz).

What's the hot gear these days?

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: Anyone set up a wireless bridge lately? new [Re: italie]
#244496 - 01/25/11 04:47 AM

I used an airport relay box to extend the range of my airport extreme... works fine.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#244503 - 01/25/11 05:13 AM

> Haven't played with bridges in a bit, not up to speed on the latest and greatest.
> Looking to bridge ~200-250ft.
>
> I have a few directional antennas lying around (16db I believe) that I'd like to be
> able to use with the setup too. (sma, reverse polarity, 2.4Ghz).
>
> What's the hot gear these days?

Dunno about bridges, but the Netgear WNDR3700 wireless router is awfully nice, and it has a bridge mode. Antennas are basically internal though.

This is IMHO THE website for wireless testing: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/
Be sure to check out the charts!

- Stiletto

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#244508 - 01/25/11 05:28 AM

> Haven't played with bridges in a bit, not up to speed on the latest and greatest.
> Looking to bridge ~200-250ft.
>
> I have a few directional antennas lying around (16db I believe) that I'd like to be
> able to use with the setup too. (sma, reverse polarity, 2.4Ghz).
>
> What's the hot gear these days?

I dunno if it helps for you application, but I've been using a Linksys WRT-54G as a wireless bridge for a couple of years now, running dd-wrt on it. It's been absolutely rock solid, speed is good and I've pretty much only had to reboot it to install updates. I'm only up one floor and maybe 7-8 feet over from the router, though, so I have no idea what the limit of its range is.

lordflux
Lurker
Reged: 10/13/03
Send PM

#244821 - 01/28/11 09:33 AM

I'm currently using an EnGenius ECB3500 AP and a WRT54GL (w/ DD-WRT) to bridge my parent's house and my brother's house. About a 600ft span with a cluster of pine trees in between. Have a Cantenna located at my brother's house and a couple of high gain omni-directional antennas at my parent's house. The signal strength stays around 40% based on what DD-WRT is reporting.

Have had no stability problems with this setup and my nephews even play their XBox 360 over the wireless bridge.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Anyone set up a wireless bridge lately? new [Re: lordflux]
#244832 - 01/28/11 03:06 PM

> I'm currently using an EnGenius ECB3500 AP and a WRT54GL (w/ DD-WRT) to bridge my
> parent's house and my brother's house. About a 600ft span with a cluster of pine
> trees in between. Have a Cantenna located at my brother's house and a couple of high
> gain omni-directional antennas at my parent's house. The signal strength stays around
> 40% based on what DD-WRT is reporting.
>
> Have had no stability problems with this setup and my nephews even play their XBox
> 360 over the wireless bridge.

I was ~just~ looking at an Egenius setup...They seem pretty slick, with good power output. I'm nearly sold on the EOC1650.

lordflux
Lurker
Reged: 10/13/03
Send PM

#244851 - 01/28/11 07:14 PM

I've only read good things about the EnGenius devices, which is why I decided to go with the ECB3500. It's been awhile since I've had it, but I seem to remember that some of their devices are designed to output more power than others.

In the ECB3500 setup configuration, I can boost the output power up to 28dBm -- which is what I'm currently running it at.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 679 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1245