Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Some sites not loading in FF but will in Chrome
#244477 - 01/24/11 11:58 PM

Just as the title says. And, I've downloaded a program called Visual Route 2010. It seems to go through 9 different servers of my ISP, but there is a "firewall" before it gets to the site in question (such as Amazon.com for example).

So, I'm inclined to think my ISP is blocking me from certain sites for whatever reason (perhaps a bandwidth limit?) but there are other sites I can still get to. Yet, I'm able to get there using Chrome.

So, could this be a firewall issue that is blocking Firefox (and I.E.) from connecting to these sites, but not Chrome?

I don't know how much more of this crap I can take!

Oh, and using that Open DNS server site... not even that works.

LEVEL-4

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Some sites not loading in FF but will in Chrome new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#244527 - 01/25/11 09:35 AM

Some random questions...

Are you sure that you don't have some sort of mal-ware that is affecting your browsing experience?

I can't see any way that an ISP could block traffic from certain browsers but not others at the network level. If you can get there with Chrome, than I'm fairly certain it's not your ISP. Is your FF installation messed up?

Are you going through some sort of "web accelerator" proxy that caches content for you?

When you say that they are "blocked" what do you see, if anything, when you go to those sites?

What sites? (give full exact URLs)

Who is your ISP? (if I may ask)

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Some sites not loading in FF but will in Chrome new [Re: krick]
#244548 - 01/25/11 04:06 PM Attachment: FFFUUUUU.gif 21 KB (1 downloads)

> Some random questions...
>
> Are you sure that you don't have some sort of mal-ware that is affecting your
> browsing experience?
>

MSE comes up clean (although the "Full Scan" strangely only took 8 minutes, but whatever).
Malware Bytes comes up clean.
Comodo AV... nothing there either.

> I can't see any way that an ISP could block traffic from certain browsers but not
> others at the network level. If you can get there with Chrome, than I'm fairly
> certain it's not your ISP. Is your FF installation messed up?
>

I reinstalled it twice. The first time I kept my settings, the 2nd time I didn't.

I even tried reinstalling IE(8).

> Are you going through some sort of "web accelerator" proxy that caches content for
> you?
>

Nope.

> When you say that they are "blocked" what do you see, if anything, when you go to
> those sites?
>
> What sites? (give full exact URLs)

Some of these sites - it's not really a big deal that I get on them, it's just that I can't. And that just shouldn't be. So, just to name a few that I know of...

http://www.microsoft.com/

http://www.msn.com/

http://www.amazon.com/

^On the status bar, the loading progress... nothing happens. And this next link... It's one that used to work for a long while, then frequently it would have loading problems - until one day it joined the ranks of the other sites and is thus no longer reachable (unless I use Chrome).

>
> Who is your ISP? (if I may ask)

www.centurylink.com/

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by T0M (01/25/11 10:48 PM)

LEVEL-4

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#244551 - 01/25/11 04:33 PM

Sounds like they are running some sort of 'nanny' service. They are probably using a proxy server to do so. It may be setup in your firefox and IE settings already (probably why you do not see it when you goto chrome as you just installed it).

If you type in an invalid address (like www.abc.xyz) in the title bar if you land on a either centurylinks web page or the 'squid I cant find your site' page you know you are using a proxy server.

This sort of thing is usually configurable in the web browser. I think Firefox defaults to 'global' settings. Which means use IE's settings. This could have come if you installed any software from your ISP when they first set you up.

You only notice it now because someone borked up the nanny list.

If that is what it is...?

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Some sites not loading in FF but will in Chrome new [Re: lharms]
#244557 - 01/25/11 05:17 PM

> Sounds like they are running some sort of 'nanny' service. They are probably using a
> proxy server to do so. It may be setup in your firefox and IE settings already
> (probably why you do not see it when you goto chrome as you just installed it).
>
> If you type in an invalid address (like www.abc.xyz) in the title bar if you land on
> a either centurylinks web page or the 'squid I cant find your site' page you know you
> are using a proxy server.
>

When I had my Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) set to OpenDNS, it took to their search page, and when I had it cleared out it took me to a Centurylink search page.

> This sort of thing is usually configurable in the web browser. I think Firefox
> defaults to 'global' settings. Which means use IE's settings. This could have come if
> you installed any software from your ISP when they first set you up.
>
> You only notice it now because someone borked up the nanny list.
>
> If that is what it is...?

Well, they did send me an install disc way back whenever. >:-/

....I'll have to look into how to configure my browser settings - if that would help anything at all.

Or I may have to call up my ISP and ask them if they know what's going on. I'd bet good money they'd try to offer me bundled bungled T.V. & satelite internet service.

Thanks for your help. Any other suggestions are still welcome.

LEVEL-4

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

#244605 - 01/25/11 11:51 PM

Another thing you can do is telnet to the port on one of the sites that is messed up.

Something like
telnet www.yahoo.com 80

Then type in 'GET /'

It should return you the front page html. It may also return you an error.

If you are landing on the centurylink search page off of those sites I would be willing to bet they somehow messed up the DNS resolver and Proxy server at the same time.

You can also do something like 'GET /blahblahblah.txt' and see if you get an error back. That may give you some more information about what is going on.

Also I remember awhile back someone talking on another site about how you can sometimes have configuration tools to set this sort of thing. You log into the site and they give you a way to set what is screened out.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#244614 - 01/26/11 01:15 AM

> Another thing you can do is telnet to the port on one of the sites that is messed up.
>
> Something like
> telnet www.yahoo.com 80
>
> Then type in 'GET /'
>
> It should return you the front page html. It may also return you an error.
>
> If you are landing on the centurylink search page off of those sites I would be
> willing to bet they somehow messed up the DNS resolver and Proxy server at the same
> time.

In Firefox they will try to load for a while, then eventually time out/"the connection was reset"

Using the telnet command, and any of the sites (names) I can't get to -there's just a blank screen and typing 'GET /' doesn't do anything... Unless I'm not waiting long enough.

>
> You can also do something like 'GET /blahblahblah.txt' and see if you get an error
> back. That may give you some more information about what is going on.
>

I did something like this a few days ago... can't remember how to view the .txt file.

> Also I remember awhile back someone talking on another site about how you can
> sometimes have configuration tools to set this sort of thing. You log into the site
> and they give you a way to set what is screened out.

I did see something like that from the page leading from an invalid url. It was a 'Preferences' page. It had 3 different things to set.

CenturyLink Web Helper

Typo Correction Service

Adult Filter

& I've got all 3 disabled.

----

For myself, for later.

http://filetonic.com/blog/2010/12/27/comodo-blocks-website-access/

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=581267 :-/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357

Edited by T0M (01/27/11 09:19 AM)

LEVEL-4

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#244630 - 01/26/11 04:47 AM

>
> Well, they did send me an install disc way back whenever. >:-/

Never, ever install the shit CDs that your ISP sends to you. Basically, it just brands your browser with their stuff and adds extra crap to your computer that you don't need.

You should be able to connect your router directly to your cable/dsl modem and 99% of the time, it will just work without having to install anything. Occasionally, you need to go through your router setup wizard, but even that's not really needed except to set the router password. Pretty much everything else is auto-configuring.

You are using a router between your computer and your cable/dsl modem, aren't you? If not, I highly recommend it. It's just one more layer of protection between you and the Internet.

You can reset Internet Explorer settings to the defaults...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

And here's instructions for FF...
http://browserland.com/how-to/restore-firefox-default-settings-without-uninstalling-it/

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

#244633 - 01/26/11 05:25 AM

Your quickly exhausting my troubleshooting tips

You should see the raw dump right away from http server in the telnet window. Pretty much as soon as you type 'GET /' then enter it should dump a bunch of data back or even an error. And after re-reading what I told you I think I left out the 'enter' bit. But if it just sits there it is like it is timing out. Which any of the sites you mentioned should not be doing. What sort of 'ping' response are you getting?

Is there anything in the IE proxy settings? It may not even be that and they are snagging the packets as they exit the local ISP router and just putting them thru a transparent proxy anyway for you. I have been considering setting up something similar for my local network to simplify setup.

Do you have another computer you can attempt this from? Or a console like the PSP/PS3/WII that can surf the web? This will isolate if it is the network or your computer.

Also the fact that they have something like the settings you disabled really makes me think they are using a proxy server in the mix. You may need someone other than the first level tech support if it is inside their network.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#244960 - 01/29/11 11:41 PM

> Your quickly exhausting my troubleshooting tips
>
> You should see the raw dump right away from http server in the telnet window. Pretty
> much as soon as you type 'GET /' then enter it should dump a bunch of data back or
> even an error. And after re-reading what I told you I think I left out the 'enter'
> bit. But if it just sits there it is like it is timing out. Which any of the sites
> you mentioned should not be doing. What sort of 'ping' response are you getting?
>

Using 'telnet' for amazon, it does nothing. For yahoo.com... there is a huge bunch of lines going by really fast, but it eventually says 'Connection to host lost'.

The ping responses (like for amazon) times out.

For the tracert, (again, for amazon) it goes through about 10 hops but times out after that.

> Is there anything in the IE proxy settings?

How exactly do I check that? (Windows XP)

eta for ^that: In IE, Tools > Internet Options > LAN Settings, here's what it looks like...

Quote:

Automatic Configuration

[ ] Automatically Detect Settings
[ ] Use automatic configuration script

Proxy Server

[x] Use a proxy server for your LAN

Address: ___________ Port: 80

[x] Bypass proxy server for local addresses

(clicking on the [Advanced] button)

Servers

(nothing is filled in here)

Exceptions

Do not use proxy server for addresses beginning with

Now, I might've changed something I wasn't supposed to in my feeble attempts to fix my problem. I'm thinking the 'Automatically Detect Settings' should be checked. It wasn't working before I messed around with stuff, so....

> It may not even be that and they are
> snagging the packets as they exit the local ISP router and just putting them thru a
> transparent proxy anyway for you. I have been considering setting up something
> similar for my local network to simplify setup.
>
> Do you have another computer you can attempt this from? Or a console like the
> PSP/PS3/WII that can surf the web? This will isolate if it is the network or your
> computer.
>

Nope.

> Also the fact that they have something like the settings you disabled really makes me
> think they are using a proxy server in the mix. You may need someone other than the
> first level tech support if it is inside their network.

I did try the www.abc.xyz in Chrome (instead of FF or IE) and that goes to either the Centurylink search help page, or the Open DNS search help page.

Yet, Chrome is (still, for now *crosses fingers*) the only way I can get to those other sites. But I did have a close call today. Thank goodness for system restore!

Please excuse any terminology I misuse here, it's not a subject I know all that well.

I've had the thought that some programs use certain ports. Like, if I use the command 'netstat -ano' then use the Task Manager to see which Program (PID) is using which Local Address to connect to Foreign Addresses (websites?).

So, why is it that I can connect to certain sites in Chrome, but not FF & IE? Regardless of whether I'm using CenturyLink or Open DNS.

Edited by T0M (01/29/11 11:45 PM)

LEVEL-4

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#244981 - 01/30/11 02:55 AM Attachment: proxy.gif 38 KB (1 downloads)

See attached image for what my Firefox 3.6.13 and Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702 proxy config pages look like.

FF: Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings
IE: Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings

Make sure you're using ONLY OpenDNS servers in your router's DNS settings. It appears that CenturyLink's DNS servers are messed up. Just google "centurylink dns" to and read some of the links. Afer changing your DNS settings, you might want to run ipconfig /flushdns from a command prompt too.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

#245020 - 01/30/11 08:11 AM

>
> Using 'telnet' for amazon, it does nothing. For yahoo.com... there is a huge bunch of
> lines going by really fast, but it eventually says 'Connection to host lost'.
>
> The ping responses (like for amazon) times out.
>
> For the tracert, (again, for amazon) it goes through about 10 hops but times out
> after that.

If tracert is failing like that it sounds like there is a routing issue in centurylinks network.

>
>
> > Is there anything in the IE proxy settings?
>
> How exactly do I check that? (Windows XP)
>
> eta for ^that: In IE, Tools > Internet Options > LAN Settings, here's what it looks
> like...

Match it up to exactly what krick has in his post.

>
> I did try the www.abc.xyz in Chrome (instead of FF or IE) and that goes to either the
> Centurylink search help page, or the Open DNS search help page.
>
> Yet, Chrome is (still, for now *crosses fingers*) the only way I can get to those
> other sites. But I did have a close call today. Thank goodness for system restore!
>

System restore?!!!! yikes... Just match it to kricks post. That should get your stuff correct. Also make sure your DNS settings are set to use opendns.

>
> Please excuse any terminology I misuse here, it's not a subject I know all that well.

Its ok. You are doing fine.

>
> I've had the thought that some programs use certain ports. Like, if I use the command
> 'netstat -ano' then use the Task Manager to see which Program (PID) is using which
> Local Address to connect to Foreign Addresses (websites?).
>
> So, why is it that I can connect to certain sites in Chrome, but not FF & IE?
> Regardless of whether I'm using CenturyLink or Open DNS.

You can use netstat -ano to match them up. If there is a local proxy server running on your computer you would see all of the connections coming from some other application than IE/Firefox.

However, judging by the settings you have set it is still going to a proxy server. You would in effect be using the DNS server on the proxy machine not the one on your local box. That could be why Chrome works for you and not IE/Firefox.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#245057 - 01/30/11 07:16 PM

Still no go.

I set all as it should be - at least for those parts. I don't know about anything deeper, like the Advanced TCP/IP Settings or if anything is messed up there or not or if that would make any difference. And I am using OpenDNS.

After I did the flushdns there was one site that usually has trouble loading in Firefox (if it loads at all), and I was able to get there. Then, just for grins I tried amazon.com. Nothing. It just timed out on a blank page. Later I tried to reload that other site... It loaded to about 60%, then stopped.

I tried later, and it worked... then some time after that - it didn't work (again).

What I'm thinking of doing is taking my computer up to work and using their Wi-Fi, then see if I can get to any of those sites in FF & IE. If I can (and I'm doubting I'll be able to) then... well, I'm not sure. That would mean there is a problem with CenturyL(st)ink and OpenDNS.

If I can't then the problem should be on MY computer.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#245063 - 01/30/11 07:53 PM Attachment: opendns.gif 54 KB (0 downloads)

To reset your TCP/IP and Winsock settings in windows, go to this Microsoft page, hit the "Fix It" button, and run it...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

If that doesn't fix it, let's put your router in the spotlight.
What make and model is your router?

Maybe something isn't configured correctly there.

I'm thinking that you're still hitting CenturyLink DNS even when you have it configured for OpenDNS...

>
> I did try the www.abc.xyz in Chrome (instead of FF or IE) and that goes to either
> the Centurylink search help page, or the Open DNS search help page.
>

If you have OpenDNS configured, you should ONLY ever see the OpenDNS page in the attached screenshot when trying to visit http://www.abc.xyz

Oh, and another thing to look at... Are you connecting to your router using Wi-Fi? Maybe your router is getting stepped on my another nearby router. Maybe you need to change channels or something. If you are using Wi-Fi, try making a direct connection with an Ethernet cable and see if that makes a difference.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#245067 - 01/30/11 08:33 PM

> To reset your TCP/IP and Winsock settings in windows, go to this Microsoft page, hit
> the "Fix It" button, and run it...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Actually I tried that yesterday. When I tried to use the Application to install it - it stopped when it tried to download netshell. Then I looked for a manual download in Chrome... Whatever I did - something got messed up on my computer. That was what the System Restore was for.

EDIT: I tried the 'Let me Fix it myself' steps. But I can't get the resetlog.txt to come up. >:-[

>
>
> If that doesn't fix it, let's put your router in the spotlight.
> What make and model is your router?
>
> Maybe something isn't configured correctly there.
>

GVC-REALTEK Ethernet 10/100 PCI Adapter

I did download some driver updates for it. But it had trouble before that, and that was within the last month.

> I'm thinking that you're still hitting CenturyLink DNS even when you have it
> configured for OpenDNS...
>
> >
> > I did try the www.abc.xyz in Chrome (instead of FF or IE) and that goes to either
> > the Centurylink search help page, or the Open DNS search help page.
> >
>
> If you have OpenDNS configured, you should ONLY ever see the OpenDNS page in the
> attached screenshot when trying to visit http://www.abc.xyz

Yes. This is what I get.

>
>
> Oh, and another thing to look at... Are you connecting to your router using Wi-Fi?
> Maybe your router is getting stepped on my another nearby router. Maybe you need to
> change channels or something. If you are using Wi-Fi, try making a direct connection
> with an Ethernet cable and see if that makes a difference.

Nope. It's a DSL connection. :-/

Edited by T0M (01/30/11 08:58 PM)

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

FIXED! new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#245070 - 01/30/11 09:14 PM

> > To reset your TCP/IP and Winsock settings in windows, go to this Microsoft page,
> hit
> > the "Fix It" button, and run it...
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
>
> Actually I tried that yesterday. When I tried to use the Application to install it -
> it stopped when it tried to download netshell. Then I looked for a manual download in
> Chrome... Whatever I did - something got messed up on my computer. That was what the
> System Restore was for.
>
> EDIT: I tried the 'Let me Fix it myself' steps. But I can't get the resetlog.txt to
> come up. >:-[
>
>

After restarting all sites are accessible!

Quote:

The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:

1. To open a command prompt, click Start and then click Run. Copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box and then press ENTER:
cmd
2. At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
3. Reboot the computer.

The easier the fix - the more stupid ya feel.

Edited by T0M (01/30/11 09:15 PM)

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#245095 - 01/31/11 12:53 AM

> >
> > If that doesn't fix it, let's put your router in the spotlight.
> > What make and model is your router?
> >
> > Maybe something isn't configured correctly there.
> >
>
> GVC-REALTEK Ethernet 10/100 PCI Adapter
>
> I did download some driver updates for it. But it had trouble before that, and that
> was within the last month.
> >
> >
> > Oh, and another thing to look at... Are you connecting to your router using Wi-Fi?
> > Maybe your router is getting stepped on my another nearby router. Maybe you need to
> > change channels or something. If you are using Wi-Fi, try making a direct
> connection
> > with an Ethernet cable and see if that makes a difference.
>
> Nope. It's a DSL connection. :-/

Your GVC-REALTEK Ethernet 10/100 PCI Adapter is your Ethernet adapter. It's either a physical PCI card, or it's built into your motherboard.

You're using a DSL modem to connect to the Internet. That doesn't preclude you from having a router in between your computer and your DSL modem. In fact, many people recommend having a router, even if you only have one computer on your network, because it provides an additional layer of security.

Most routers today are capable of wireless (Wi-Fi) connections AND wired (Ethernet cable) connections between the router and your computer(s).

From what you've said, you appear to have your computer connected DIRECTLY to your DSL modem with no router in between. Is this correct?

If so, where did you configure OpenDNS servers?

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#245152 - 01/31/11 07:54 AM

> Your GVC-REALTEK Ethernet 10/100 PCI Adapter is your Ethernet adapter. It's either a
> physical PCI card, or it's built into your motherboard.

No router for me I guess. *shoulda thought that one through*

>
> You're using a DSL modem to connect to the Internet. That doesn't preclude you from
> having a router in between your computer and your DSL modem. In fact, many people
> recommend having a router, even if you only have one computer on your network,
> because it provides an additional layer of security.

Thanks for the advice.

>
> Most routers today are capable of wireless (Wi-Fi) connections AND wired (Ethernet
> cable) connections between the router and your computer(s).
>
> From what you've said, you appear to have your computer connected DIRECTLY to your
> DSL modem with no router in between. Is this correct?

sí señor

>
> If so, where did you configure OpenDNS servers?

uh..... at home on my computer?

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#245155 - 01/31/11 08:08 AM

>
> No router for me I guess. *shoulda thought that one through*
>
> >
> > If so, where did you configure OpenDNS servers?
>
> uh..... at home on my computer?

Hmmm... I guess you must have configured it directly in the TCP/IP properties dialog. I guess that would work for a direct-connected computer. It's been so long since I've had a computer directly connected to the Internet, I forgot about that.

At some point, you might want to consider picking up a cheap router and putting it between your computer and your DLS modem. It acts as an additional layer of protection against external hackers and it allows you to do nifty stuff like connecting multiple computers, web-enabled game systems, or other Internet devices to your DSL modem at the same time via direct Ethernet cable or wirelessly (if you get a wifi router). You can also configure DNS settings for your "network" (i.e. all the computers behind the router), which is how most of us do it.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 429 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3278