MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Clrmamepro is *still* the weirdest app I've even encountered....
#244269 - 01/23/11 03:36 AM

The UI is not intuitive. The functions do not imply each other. I really don't see why most of its features can't be wrapped up into a small page or two of entries and 'oks'. Seriously, can anyone tell me why it's set up in such a screwy fashion?

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

Re: Clrmamepro is *still* the weirdest app I've even encountered.... new [Re: mogli]
#244274 - 01/23/11 04:49 AM

> The UI is not intuitive. The functions do not imply each other. I really don't see
> why most of its features can't be wrapped up into a small page or two of entries and
> 'oks'. Seriously, can anyone tell me why it's set up in such a screwy fashion?

cmp is very easy to use application and very intuitive. if you can't use it, try something for slow people (e.g. RomCenter).

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: Clrmamepro is *still* the weirdest app I've even encountered.... new [Re: mogli]
#244295 - 01/23/11 08:24 AM

> The functions do not imply each other.

this is exactly what I *never* want from an application: if I select a single option, no program should assume I also want some other 'implied' option I haven't selected at all...

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#244300 - 01/23/11 09:43 AM

I agree. Clrmamepro is probably the least intuitive application I've ever used.

However, since it does the job (once you figure it out), and I'm not in a position to write my own competing application, I just live with it.

I think that if I was going to design a competing app, I'd probably go with a "wizard" type GUI (like an installer) that walks you through each step, asks you questions, and branches to new screens depending on which choices you make. At any point, you can hit "back" or "next" if you change your mind.

For "power users", a wizard style interface gets in the way, but since the majority of users are likely NOT power users, catering to the lowest common denominator ensures a LOT less "support" issues to deal with.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#244306 - 01/23/11 12:29 PM

> The UI is not intuitive. The functions do not imply each other. I really don't see
> why most of its features can't be wrapped up into a small page or two of entries and
> 'oks'. Seriously, can anyone tell me why it's set up in such a screwy fashion?

It's been a long while since I used it, and you really have to know what you're doing (it's not simple exactly).

From what I recall about it - it's used something like this.

It's a tool to change the info (or order of info) in your roms.
So you have to pick a MAME version.
This uses said MAME version to know how to order/arrange the info in your current roms.

Then you have to decide what it will do with your roms.

From here is where I've often got confused. And sometimes I'd end up with a large number partial/useless roms that I'd then have to delete (but like I said, this is what it used to do the last time I've used it, maybe that's changed now). Yet, I'll admit, I could've made better choices as to what it was to do. That way I wouldn't've had the extra/useless roms.

I could've/should've used it better. But how to do that/what the end result of my choices were going to be weren't clear to me.... Simply because I haven't used the heck out of it enough to be THAT familiar with it.

Edited by T0M (01/23/11 12:32 PM)

LEVEL-4

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

Re: Clrmamepro is *still* the weirdest app I've even encountered.... new [Re: abelenki]
#244313 - 01/23/11 03:29 PM

> > The UI is not intuitive. The functions do not imply each other. I really don't see
> > why most of its features can't be wrapped up into a small page or two of entries
> and
> > 'oks'. Seriously, can anyone tell me why it's set up in such a screwy fashion?
>
> cmp is very easy to use application and very intuitive. if you can't use it, try
> something for slow people (e.g. RomCenter).

No, it's not for everyone. And i'm not of the slow kind (ever customized ClearQuest installations or dug into Oracle Forms?? Those are a mess too) I *hate *the CMP UI (the engine is quite good, better than RC's), but the exact reason why i use RC exclusively. I must admit, i don't do full rebuilds and stuff. But i don't have gigs of data and want visual control, too.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#244333 - 01/23/11 08:52 PM

I remember i was scared of ClrMAME Pro for two reasons. First it updated so much, so it made me believe it was a really buggy code i couldn't trust my ROMs. And second, the UI was intimidating in comparison to RomCenter (plus it didn't list ROMs or used a color/icon system like RomCenter does). I had no choice but to move the day i needed to rebuild a MAME 0.36 romset and check for the (by then) newer CHD format.

It took some time, but i managed to understand the interface and since then i love it. If you have no idea about basic concepts like "parent/clone roms", "ROM", "romset", "merged/splitted sets", etc. the software really looks complex. Though the tooltips help a lot.

It's sometimes unnecessary and complex in a "Linux kind" way. But now that i understand it, its so flexible i wouldn't change it for anything else. It's not like we have many other choices anyway.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

a response - and a request/the story behind this little episode new [Re: etabeta]
#244389 - 01/24/11 08:52 AM

> > The functions do not imply each other.
>
> this is exactly what I *never* want from an application: if I select a single option,
> no program should assume I also want some other 'implied' option I haven't selected
> at all...

Dude, if you're trying to rebuild a set, there are things you must do - that are not in the same function chain. Many apps have 'user' function features, while also having 'power user' features.

Anyways, perhaps naively, I was only using it to create a fix_dat for .141 . So, now I'll just ask: does anyone have, can you make, or can you show me where to find or how to make a fix_dat for 141?

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

fix_dis, fix_dat. [nt] new [Re: mogli]
#244392 - 01/24/11 09:06 AM

lol

LEVEL-4

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: a response - and a request/the story behind this little episode new [Re: mogli]
#244393 - 01/24/11 09:07 AM

Scan the set, then go to the Scan Result window and Right-click. A whole world of new options will be presented to you.

Select Save -> Fix-Datfile -> XXXX, where XXXX is the next option you prefer (you can save either a complete fixdat, or a fixdat only for incomplete sets, etc.)

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

Re: a response - and a request/the story behind this little episode new [Re: etabeta]
#244404 - 01/24/11 10:51 AM

simply enable the autocreation of fixdats there for convenience

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: a response - and a request/the story behind this little episode new [Re: Roman]
#244531 - 01/25/11 12:09 PM

> simply enable the autocreation of fixdats there for convenience

Do you mean at 'save', select 'autosave fixdat after (new) scan'?

And thanks for the info, etabeta.

The Culture

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

Re: a response - and a request/the story behind this little episode new [Re: mogli]
#244534 - 01/25/11 01:34 PM

yes

This will generate a fixdat after each scan automatically and puts it in cmpro's fixdat folder. So this only needs to be ticked once....

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 348 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3060