Pages: 1

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

pole position 2
#244089 - 01/21/11 06:11 AM

will the pole position 2 bootleg work again?also is it true that some pole position 2s (not sure of the version)had an a and w sign on the billboard ads.thats the one i remeber playing.i think it was on the suzuka stage.it would make an interesting pcb find.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: pole position 2 new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#244090 - 01/21/11 06:21 AM

> will the pole position 2 bootleg work again?

Reported already, but not yet fixed:
http://www.mametesters.org/view.php?id=3301

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

#244092 - 01/21/11 06:24 AM

> will the pole position 2 bootleg work again?also is it true that some pole position
> 2s (not sure of the version)had an a and w sign on the billboard ads.thats the one i
> remeber playing.i think it was on the suzuka stage.it would make an interesting pcb
> find.

It's not just the bootleg, the Atari version is broken too. I suspect the parent (Japanese) set only works "by accident" right now.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#244093 - 01/21/11 06:24 AM

> also is it true that some pole position
> 2s (not sure of the version)had an a and w sign on the billboard ads.thats the one i
> remeber playing.i think it was on the suzuka stage.it would make an interesting pcb
> find.

The current polepos2b set has 7-Eleven, Dentyne and Tang billboards - I suppose anything is possible. I don't remember A & W though..

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#244099 - 01/21/11 08:37 AM

>also is it true that some pole position 2s (not sure of the version)had an a and w sign
> on the billboard ads.thats the one i remeber playing.i think it was on the suzuka
> stage.it would make an interesting pcb find.

As already mentioned that it might be possible, it comes down to going over a fair amount of pcbs in order to find the exact pcb....which might be a bootleg version or an alternate (bug fix) version that hasn't been found yet. A major Tehkan World Cup soccer fan has yet to find a World Cup Soccer pcb (likely a bootleg version) that could do soccer moves that the original World Cup Soccer does not do. It might take a while before these pcbs are found, so you might want to do the searching rather than waiting because the supposed Pole Position II might not be on the search list at this time.

For starters, the rom labels can be compared with what is already supported by reading the label/stickers printed on the roms even though that can be a challenge when some of the labels are missing on the pcb. (example of pcb and rom labels on chips on the pcb)

http://mamedev.org/source/src/mame/drivers/polepos.c.html

The manual or more likely the various old 1980s era Atari tech newsletter bulletins might provide info of an upgrade version of some released Atari game that business operators could pay for upgrade replacement parts of a specific game.

If the searching through the online Pole Position II paperwork (manual / service bulletins) doesn't have anything, assume the wanted version could be a bootleg version and may require some patient ebay searching.

There should be some knowledgeable Namco/Atari Pole Postion 2 fans that remember the version being described.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

Re: pole position 2 new [Re: gregf]
#244175 - 01/22/11 07:28 AM

thanks guys for all the responses.i hope in the future i might have more info. the last known whereabouts for that machine were in hoboken nj around 1995.the spot was a popular arcade at the time called mr.biggs. they closed about 1997. i really miss the arcades.

He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

Re: pole position 2 new [Re: Tafoid]
#244176 - 01/22/11 07:31 AM

thank you talfoid.you are right, but i think this might be a bootleg.im not sure though.maybe we will see it in the future.by the way keep up the good work in mame testing.if it werent for you guys us old people would have nothing.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

Re: pole position 2 new [Re: AWJ]
#244178 - 01/22/11 07:33 AM

im sure it will probably be fixed.thanks for the response

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 197 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2373