RetroLover

Don Tacos
Targzissians are obviously reptilian
Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: Neo Yokohama
Send PM

Re: Scud Race WIP video on Demul... new [Re: RetroLover]
#244063 - 01/21/11 12:52 AM

That's rather rude. It's obviously running in debug mode.

RetroLover
M.A.M.E. / M.E.S.S. fan
Reged: 10/27/06
Send PM

Well ... new [Re: Don Tacos]
#244065 - 01/21/11 12:56 AM

the video is ok and as we already all know, it's the recording software, which slows down the video!

Regards,
RetroLover

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#244069 - 01/21/11 01:53 AM

Looks very very good. I really wanna play Sega Rally 2 mainly because of Guru's thoughts about it and I have to agree, for 1996 that's damn impressive graphics.

Is FBB in Demul? *n00b*

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

RetroLover
M.A.M.E. / M.E.S.S. fan
Send PM

Re: Scud Race WIP video on Demul... new [Re: Naoki]
#244103 - 01/21/11 09:43 AM

Really,

the graphics is very good but even pc games like Screamer from 1995 (one year before) already had superb graphics and arcade was always one step ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDTiH_-Drw0&feature=related

The mid of the 90's was the time of arcade racing games in 3D with shaded vectors.

Look at games like Ridge Racer or some of the Model 2 racing games from Sega.

I would be interested to see some screenshots from the current SuperModel as well.

Demul is a nice project, but it mutates to some kind of Multi Platform Emulator and is still named Demul and sorry to say that, the framework or user interface sucks, just like the one from the Model2 emulator.

I wished, the great talents ElSemi and those around Demul would spend some time in the user interface or let some other guys work on their project to improve that.

Look at MAME, FBA, Kawaks or Nebula. Those 4 and some others have very good user interfaces. Unfortunately, I suppose it is not in the focus atm.

Best regards,
RetroLover

Bart T.
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#244104 - 01/21/11 10:08 AM

What differentiates a good user interface from a bad one, in your opinion?

The initial version of Supermodel (note the capitalization, by the way) will be command line driven. I would like subsequent versions to have a UI. I'd like to make the user experience pleasant, forgiving, and simple, and am rather curious as to what end-users are interested in.

The usual disclaimers apply, by the way: no guarantees of anything

Bart

alfman
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/05/08
Send PM

#244114 - 01/21/11 01:55 PM

sorry but for me the demul gui is perfect . you can configure all what you want , specially the single systems like naomi/atomiswave/dreamcast where you can perfectly set the keys you want to use

only problem are the vertical games running under naomi hardware , you cant auto rotate in demul but i heard in the next version there will be a option . till this is fixed i use my autohotkey script at my arcade cab

@demul team : keep up the fantastic work !!!

Edited by alfman (01/21/11 01:58 PM)

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Re: Scud Race WIP video on Demul... new [Re: alfman]
#244121 - 01/21/11 04:39 PM

good work guys

Bart and CaHae are gonna ROCK 2011!!!!!!

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

CaHae? LOL [nt] new [Re: Outrun2006]
#244127 - 01/21/11 06:34 PM

> good work guys
>
> Bart and CaHae are gonna ROCK 2011!!!!!!

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

Sacrilego
Reged: 09/10/05
Send PM

#244140 - 01/22/11 12:00 AM

For some reason I thought it said "video on demand"

RetroLover
M.A.M.E. / M.E.S.S. fan
Send PM

Re: Scud Race WIP video on Demul... new [Re: Bart T.]
#244145 - 01/22/11 01:55 AM

A good and nice interface imo has ...

0) A windows version with UI with a nice icon
1) A nice background picture or instead a 'load game screen'
2) Hardware infos to a game, like in MAME
3) Options to start the game in fullscreen automatically
4) A sorted game list
5) Different GFX and SFX options
6) One button to exit fullscreen instead of ALT-ENTER
7) A stable user interface (simple windows gui is sufficient)

Well some options are not necessary but some are very nice to have and if you start the first version without a UI, I am sure, even cmd-line haters will find a way to enter the necessary commands, specially if Supermodel (note the capitalization) get released before Demul!

Best regards,
RetroLover

Bart T.
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#244147 - 01/22/11 03:21 AM

Thanks for the info. What do you mean by sorted game list? Supermodel will only load games it recognizes as known dumps (I might export this stuff to an external database file at some point down the road), but it doesn't care what you name your files or where they are, so long as each game is in a zip archive. It auto-detects what's inside a zip file. In other words, there is no real concept of picking from a "list". I thought it would be more intuitive.

It would be interesting to get more input on what end users expect out of emulator interfaces. My favorite emulators are still Sardu's. I enjoyed fiddling around with the options, including those that really should have been relegated to debug builds, but then again, it's not a coincidence that I also like to write emulators Part of the fun, as far as I'm concerned, is poking and prodding the system, even if that just means disabling/enabling tile layers, to get an idea of how things work.

I've always assumed that most folks aren't of the same opinion and would prefer not to have too many cryptic and potentially confusing options.

Bart

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

#244202 - 01/22/11 01:52 PM

When it comes to UI's i dont think you can go far wrong if you go down the Dolphin emulator route...very nice UI.

Also I wish someone would write a nice UI for the Saturn emulator SSF...

RetroLover
M.A.M.E. / M.E.S.S. fan
Send PM

Re: Scud Race WIP video on Demul... new [Re: Ziggy100]
#244221 - 01/22/11 06:18 PM

Indeed, Dolphin is another good example for a nice user interface!

Well I like emulators, which have stable user interfaces with attention to details and Dolphin is a very good example.

To a full Windows GUI for emulators (like MAMEUI) it's always nice to have some smart buttons and a game list (correctly sorted by name and machine types) directly presented at the very beginning or instead a nice background with a nice logo, like in Kawaks or FBA.

I even fired up the old Callus95.exe to have a comparison. The GUI is ok but the one from FBA, Kawaks or Dolphin appeals more to me.

Well it's just my opinion. MAME and MESS are very good examples for very nice user interfaces as well, specially if it comes down to info and settings during the gameplay via the TAB-key (it's brilliant), something I really miss in a lot of emulators.

Well, I have deep respect for the talents of emulator programmers, since I first made some experience with a C64 emulator, called C64S from Miha Peternel, even this old emulator had a perfect GUI imo.

Demul is a good example for really good emulation of very complex and hardware demanding games, but the GUI is not what I would call very user-friendly.

Imo, emulators have 2 main tasks:

1) Offer a user-friendly GUI
2) Emulation of games, consoles and computers

Stability is another point. In very rare cases (different versions maybe), I noticed I couldn't quit an emulation in MAME or MESS. If emulation is wrong or buggy, that's one problem, but a GUI should be stable.

There may be countless other opinions in regard to GUI's but if I code stuff, I really keep an eye on stability and user-friendlyness, I always did.

Emulator coders may have another focus though, which I understand. I don't want to criticize any emulator coder, specially if things are free to use, but if I would code one, I would do myself a favor to make at least a stable framework.

Best regards,
RetroLover

Jitterdoomer
The Ninja
Reged: 03/31/09
Loc: United States
Send PM

#244345 - 01/23/11 11:25 PM

I hope we gonna see a competitor between Demul and Supermodel

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 227 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3827