MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

Mass Effect 2 PC: specs question
#244049 - 01/20/11 10:06 PM

Here are my PC specs; see Desktop 1. I would have thought that they'd be enough to run Mass Effect 2 smoothly at 1280 x 1024, which is my default desktop resolution. That's not the case, since every so often I find that the game temporarily freezes for about five achingly long seconds before resuming. After my first few hours champing at that bit, I have since played only at 1024 x 768, which more or less confirms my suspicions about video and makes for tolerable gameplay - but less than ultimate screenshots. Any quick n' dirty ideas on what to check for?

Mass Effect 1 ran great at full res, but I suppose that shouldn't be surprising. Of course, under WinXP I get only a visible maximum of 3.25 GB. Sadly, if I want any more RAM under Win7, I need a completely new hardware setup that I can't afford.

satan
Reged: 06/13/04
Send PM

Re: Mass Effect 2 PC: specs question new [Re: Mojo2000]
#244084 - 01/21/11 05:29 AM

> Here are my PC specs; see Desktop 1. I would have thought that they'd be enough to
> run Mass Effect 2 smoothly at 1280 x 1024, which is my default desktop resolution.
> That's not the case, since every so often I find that the game temporarily freezes
> for about five achingly long seconds before resuming. After my first few hours
> champing at that bit, I have since played only at 1024 x 768, which more or less
> confirms my suspicions about video and makes for tolerable gameplay - but less than
> ultimate screenshots. Any quick n' dirty ideas on what to check for?
>
> Mass Effect 1 ran great at full res, but I suppose that shouldn't be surprising. Of
> course, under WinXP I get only a visible maximum of 3.25 GB. Sadly, if I want any
> more RAM under Win7, I need a completely new hardware setup that I can't afford.

Sounds about right. Disable PhysX.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Mass Effect 2 PC: specs question new [Re: satan]
#244091 - 01/21/11 06:24 AM

> > Here are my PC specs; see Desktop 1. I would have thought that they'd be enough to
> > run Mass Effect 2 smoothly at 1280 x 1024, which is my default desktop resolution.
> > That's not the case, since every so often I find that the game temporarily freezes
> > for about five achingly long seconds before resuming. After my first few hours
> > champing at that bit, I have since played only at 1024 x 768, which more or less
> > confirms my suspicions about video and makes for tolerable gameplay - but less than
> > ultimate screenshots. Any quick n' dirty ideas on what to check for?
>
> Sounds about right. Disable PhysX.

I have the same video card (though not "superclocked") same resolution, and don't have freeze issues in ME2. PhysX is enabled.

64-bit Windows 7, C2D E8500 @ 3.16GHz, 4GB RAM.

S

Mojo2000
Regular
Send PM

Re: Mass Effect 2 PC: specs question new [Re: Sune]
#244117 - 01/21/11 03:09 PM

> I have the same video card (though not "superclocked") same resolution, and don't
> have freeze issues in ME2. PhysX is enabled.
>
> 64-bit Windows 7, C2D E8500 @ 3.16GHz, 4GB RAM.

So are you saying that our hardware is similar enough that it must be a driver or background software issue on my end (not including OS)? Or are you saying that it IS the OS?

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#244129 - 01/21/11 06:50 PM

> > I have the same video card (though not "superclocked") same resolution, and don't
> > have freeze issues in ME2. PhysX is enabled.
> >
> > 64-bit Windows 7, C2D E8500 @ 3.16GHz, 4GB RAM.
>
> So are you saying that our hardware is similar enough that it must be a driver or
> background software issue on my end (not including OS)? Or are you saying that it IS
> the OS?

It could be anything!

If you believe it could be a background process then try temporarily disabling as much as you can and see if the issue goes away.

All I'm saying is that I don't think it's your video card.

S

Mojo2000
Regular
Send PM

Re: Mass Effect 2 PC: specs question new [Re: Sune]
#244253 - 01/22/11 11:14 PM

> If you believe it could be a background process then try temporarily disabling as
> much as you can and see if the issue goes away.

Yup, that goes without saying. Will try to diagnose using Process Explorer in the next little while.

> All I'm saying is that I don't think it's your video card.

May I also dismiss the CPU and OS as suspects?

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#244261 - 01/22/11 11:59 PM

> May I also dismiss the CPU and OS as suspects?

Your CPU is fine I'm sure but ME2 being a recent title I wouldn't be surprised if it works better on Windows 7 than XP. Try some creative googling and find out if others are having trouble running the game on XP.

I really have no idea what it could be, I've never had any issues with ME2. Other than whenever I play it it just makes me miss the relative simplicity of the first game :-)

S

Mojo2000
Regular
Send PM

Re: Mass Effect 2 PC etc. new [Re: Sune]
#244436 - 01/24/11 06:13 PM

> I really have no idea what it could be, I've never had any issues with ME2. Other
> than whenever I play it it just makes me miss the relative simplicity of the first
> game :-)

I'm making a long list of observations to myself on the Mass Effect game series, as a direct result of having played ME1 twice through and playing my fourth time through ME2 now (gradually adding DLC in the process). In the process I'm also consulting (and making minor edits to) various pages on the ME Wikia site.

Funny how I like how some things were simplified for the better, e.g. inventory micro-management, but I miss other stuff that was removed, e.g. the M35 Mako APC. I have great in-game screenshots with the Mako that I could use as wallpaper, but none of the M44 Hammerhead.

Oh well, at $10 and $20 respectively (Digital Deluxe version) during the Steam Christmas sale, they were still a good deal.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 404 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1327