MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Minecraft torches so bright... what gives?
#243644 - 01/14/11 09:20 AM

OK, my kids have done me in... they KNOW better than to introduce me to an addictive game....

Nonetheless they got me playing minecraft today.

When "I" play on my iMac, my torches illuminate only a 3x3x3 area, then it gets pitch dark... gets expensive. My caves look like flower gardens of torches. Jack-o-lanterns literally no better, so whats the point.

When "they" play on THEIR iMac, one damn torch illuminates at least a 15x15x15 area, they lay one torch in a cavern most times... their lava is even better than MY torches, illuminating most of a cavern if there is a flow.

What gives, anyone know?

My kids keep telling me to turn up the brightness on my monitor, and think I'm being stubborn about my monitor settings. They're kids. They don't get it. I've got it set to max brightness... it doesn't affect the game's emulation of light. I still get mauled by unseen zombies if I stray just 5 blocks from a torch. I built an emergency shelter one night with living space just 3x3x3, and plugged my only torch in one corner. THE OPPOSITE CORNER was pitch black! I filled it in just to avoid a zombie spawn there, giving me a 2x2 living area.

Also, who's the best host for a dedicated server?

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Let me answer this one, please. new [Re: GatKong]
#243655 - 01/14/11 04:46 PM

Well, Gatinho, (ahem) as of this morning 14Jan11 minecraft has a "fix" available for lighting errors. Update your game and your torches should be good to go.

Gat

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Thanks, that worked! new [Re: GatKong]
#243656 - 01/14/11 04:47 PM

Funny that I didn't start playing until 13Jan11... which is the only day the torch lighting effects were broken.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Thanks, that worked! new [Re: GatKong]
#243664 - 01/14/11 08:03 PM

> Funny that I didn't start playing until 13Jan11... which is the only day the torch
> lighting effects were broken.

It's definitely still a beta. Bugs are introduced frequently and fixed just as quickly.

Also, we totally need to get a MAMEworld Minecraft server going.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Thanks, that worked! new [Re: DMala]
#243699 - 01/15/11 12:38 PM

Yup. I've tried just a few servers. One full of 8-bit art and no people, one requiring that you build original creative things to get in, and one that's full of people who seem not to be doing anything but occasionally killing each other.

I managed to not notice any lighting problems. Was busy playing with cake and note blocks. Now on new world again.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

I built and stepped through a portal to the Netherworld! new [Re: TriggerFin]
#243752 - 01/16/11 07:52 AM

As far as servers go, I got a dedicated one up and running, holds 6 people. Because size is limited, please PM me, I'll share the IP with the regular bunch here at MAMEWorld (sorry if you're a new guy, but my server only holds six people).

I found an awesome cavern... had TONS of everything... made a diamond axe, got my obsidian blocks... assembles the portal... lit it on fire...

AWESOME!!!!

I'm freaked!

Crap... should have got a screenshot fer y'all. Will tomorrow...

G'nite.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: I built and stepped through a portal to the Netherworld! new [Re: GatKong]
#243758 - 01/16/11 09:06 AM

> As far as servers go, I got a dedicated one up and running, holds 6 people. Because
> size is limited, please PM me, I'll share the IP with the regular bunch here at
> MAMEWorld (sorry if you're a new guy, but my server only holds six people).
>
> I found an awesome cavern... had TONS of everything... made a diamond axe, got my
> obsidian blocks... assembles the portal... lit it on fire...
>
> AWESOME!!!!
>
> I'm freaked!
>
> Crap... should have got a screenshot fer y'all. Will tomorrow...
>
> G'nite.

There's really is something genuinely creepy about the Nether, which it pretty impressive for such a lo fi game. I think the screams of the ghasts has something to do with it. The only thing that comes close to it are the Xen levels from the original Half-Life.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: I built and stepped through a portal to the Netherworld! new [Re: DMala]
#243773 - 01/16/11 06:06 PM

> > As far as servers go, I got a dedicated one up and running, holds 6 people. Because
> > size is limited, please PM me, I'll share the IP with the regular bunch here at
> > MAMEWorld (sorry if you're a new guy, but my server only holds six people).
> >
> > I found an awesome cavern... had TONS of everything... made a diamond axe, got my
> > obsidian blocks... assembles the portal... lit it on fire...
> >
> > AWESOME!!!!
> >
> > I'm freaked!
> >
> > Crap... should have got a screenshot fer y'all. Will tomorrow...
> >
> > G'nite.
>
> There's really is something genuinely creepy about the Nether, which it pretty
> impressive for such a lo fi game. I think the screams of the ghasts has something to
> do with it. The only thing that comes close to it are the Xen levels from the
> original Half-Life.

It got de-creepified a bit when they stopped getting killed by lava. Now they hardly scream at all. I recall the cacophony when I watched SeaNanners visit on YouTube; it just isn't like that now.

I don't know if I should ask for the server IP, I'm just establishing a base in a new 1.2 world now.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Screen Shot Gatinho's Server new [Re: TriggerFin]
#243813 - 01/16/11 11:15 PM Attachment: Screen shot 2011-01-16 at 3.08.48 PM.png 739 KB (0 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Sippin' hot cocoa in Trigger's lodge. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#243891 - 01/18/11 06:37 AM Attachment: Screen shot 2011-01-17 at 10.37.16 PM.png 687 KB (0 downloads)

Attachment

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Sippin' hot cocoa in Trigger's lodge. new [Re: GatKong]
#243903 - 01/18/11 02:32 PM

Uh oh, I see a dirt block on the floor. I have stone for that, though I may go with wool...

There aren't 8 different 1x1 pictures yet.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: Sippin' hot cocoa in Trigger's lodge. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#243914 - 01/18/11 07:12 PM

> Uh oh, I see a dirt block on the floor. I have stone for that, though I may go with
> wool...
>
> There aren't 8 different 1x1 pictures yet.

I dig the birch columns, very stylish.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Sippin' hot cocoa in Trigger's lodge. new [Re: DMala]
#243927 - 01/19/11 12:29 AM

> > Uh oh, I see a dirt block on the floor. I have stone for that, though I may go with
> > wool...
> >
> > There aren't 8 different 1x1 pictures yet.
>
> I dig the birch columns, very stylish.

The outside has become overly utilitarian in my attempts to defend the exit point from... explosive editing. I'm trying to improve the inside to compensate.

Minecraft.net is down or struggling, so I can't get in.

Anyway, Gatinh0, server commands are at http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/SMP_Server_commands
/list will give an op a list of who's on, you may need to declare yourself an op in the server software first, don't know.

More info: according to http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Spawn,
Quote:

Surrounding the spawn area is a no-edit area where non-ops are unable to modify the terrain. Attempting to modify the terrain as a non-op is one way of determining where the spawn area is.

That means you're not an op of your server, and explains the problems you had digging that hall.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#243946 - 01/19/11 07:54 AM

> Minecraft.net is down or struggling, so I can't get in.

Once you're in, you can talk to the server OK? I'm still getting horrific lag. I spend all day just trying to gather a few resources, then the sun goes down and I get pwned by skeletons I can't see. I finally managed to at least get a little spider hole dug and lit, and I got booted with a connection reset.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

#243959 - 01/19/11 05:50 PM

That lag is largly due to that giant forest fire... it spread over a vast majority of the map, I've been online chopping down trees until I'm bored silly trying to get that fire under control... which it kind of is now. If you see any burning remnants wack em down so it doesn't spread any more. Turns out my son started the fire... he had no idea how fast it would get out of control. It's an issue I think minecraft needs to address, because mine isn't the only server ravaged by out of control forest fires. I sent Notch my idea... which is periodic rain showers which extinguish any outdoor flames exposed to the sky. We'll see if he likes my idea or not.

The lag is also because Notch updated Minecraft lately, so the entire minecraft community is updating all their files... massive load on the one and only minecraft server... not to mention minecraft is still beta... and buggy... anyway.

We had a decent time last night without lag... fought off easily more than 36 spiders (thats how much string we collected) in one room guarding a treasure chest containing a saddle. I chopped at them from the front while Tfin flanked them from the rear, was pretty awesome. Killed over 30 spiders and we only died once (we meaning me, Tfin stayed strong). I broke all three of my swords and my axe, and finished the fight with just a wooden hoe and a cactus branch... so I think dying once isn't a disgrace

The reset was me, sorry didn't know u were on when I reset it. I updated the admin plugin.

Gat

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#243966 - 01/19/11 07:23 PM

> We had a decent time last night without lag... fought off easily more than 36 spiders
> (thats how much string we collected) in one room guarding a treasure chest containing
> a saddle. I chopped at them from the front while Tfin flanked them from the rear, was
> pretty awesome. Killed over 30 spiders and we only died once (we meaning me, Tfin
> stayed strong). I broke all three of my swords and my axe, and finished the fight
> with just a wooden hoe and a cactus branch... so I think dying once isn't a disgrace
>
> The reset was me, sorry didn't know u were on when I reset it. I updated the admin
> plugin.
>
>
> Gat

I only survived because I'm generally overly cautious, though I did jump up into the horde to look around for a couple seconds.

I never did get a picture of you using the saddle; the game crashed when I tried to.

Anyway, it wasn't really you, just (steve?) with your name on it. That was also due to the minecraft.net server being down at the time. Much depends on

Yes, the fire is very nearly beaten now. We'll need to replant trees afterward.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#243989 - 01/20/11 05:12 AM

> That lag is largly due to that giant forest fire... it spread over a vast majority of
> the map, I've been online chopping down trees until I'm bored silly trying to get
> that fire under control... which it kind of is now. If you see any burning remnants
> wack em down so it doesn't spread any more. Turns out my son started the fire... he
> had no idea how fast it would get out of control. It's an issue I think minecraft
> needs to address, because mine isn't the only server ravaged by out of control forest
> fires. I sent Notch my idea... which is periodic rain showers which extinguish any
> outdoor flames exposed to the sky. We'll see if he likes my idea or not.
>
> The lag is also because Notch updated Minecraft lately, so the entire minecraft
> community is updating all their files... massive load on the one and only minecraft
> server... not to mention minecraft is still beta... and buggy... anyway.

No worries. Where I was struggling so much to do anything, yet I was seeing the cool stuff everyone else was building, I was starting to wonder if the network problems were on my end somehow.

> The reset was me, sorry didn't know u were on when I reset it. I updated the admin
> plugin.

Heh, no problem. I just assumed it was Minecraft hating me some more.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#244025 - 01/20/11 06:50 PM

> Heh, no problem. I just assumed it was Minecraft hating me some more.

They've only got about 3 more hours to get everything changed over, up and running before another day's gone. Seems better, but no word yet.

Unable to multiplay during the past 12 hours, I went back to my fledgling singleplay world and set off to explore with about half the equipment I need. Ran across a large frozen lake, then set up a shelter at the edge of the sea. Sailed roughly southwest for three days, jumped out of my boat in the middle of a bay, hit the bottom and built another shelter there.

Having collected sugar cane and cactus cuttings on the way, I decided to turn around and go home.

I had no compass.

I sailed back the way I came, and managed to find two canals I had had to dig, but somehow got lost anyway. Game crash while in the boat.

Restart, swimming. Sand pillar to spend the night on, and maybe spot something I recognize. No luck there. In the morning I build a boat, nudge it off the pillar, and ride down to the water.

I give up around noon, land on a sandbar, and box it in. I'm going to have to set up camp here, I have a little stone, some dirt and wood, saplings and a workbench. I'll mine for resources, get steel and redstone, make a compass, and follow it home. Game crash while mining.

Restart, suffocating in the stone I've just dug away. The crash left my latest work unsaved and my at the bottom of a non-existent hole. Death. I'm back near home, with nothing. All my stuff is gone, dropped in the one or two spaces I managed to dig away. The time it takes to get there and get down to it is far more than the time before it vanishes.

I've added 20+MB to my save file, but have less than nothing to show for it.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#244036 - 01/20/11 08:09 PM

> I've added 20+MB to my save file, but have less than nothing to show for it.

Exploring new territory has always been more crash-prone than staying in the same area, but it seems like the 1.2 beta is a lot less stable than previous versions. The thing where the player position is saved after a crash but the state of the world is not seems to be new as well. I lost a diamond pickax and sword in a stone wall that reappeared after a crash the other day.

And a compass is an absolute necessity if you're traveling anywhere. The scenery is a little too homogeneous to be able to navigate any distance by landmarks and dead reckoning.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

At $350,000 an day in revenues... he needs to fix the server issues pronto. new [Re: DMala]
#244048 - 01/20/11 10:02 PM

I got an announcement that he's sold over one million copies to date...

At the original price of $13, that's thirteen million dollars the one-man team has raked in. He now charges $22.

Notch... time to pull an all nighter... one million players NOT being able to get on and play is ridonkulous. Quit developing musical boxes and new colors to dye the wool, and focus on making the game at least playable first.

At the rate this game is cranking in sales, he can afford to hire an assistant... maybe one with some server experience.

:my2cents:

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

Re: At $350,000 an day in revenues... he needs to fix the server issues pronto. new [Re: GatKong]
#244060 - 01/21/11 12:31 AM

Wow, $13 for an alpha...now that's some salesmanship.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: At $350,000 an day in revenues... he needs to fix the server issues pronto. new [Re: igamabob]
#244068 - 01/21/11 01:30 AM

> Wow, $13 for an alpha...now that's some salesmanship.

He called it an alpha but it was pretty usable and fun, even early on. The releases were also pretty frequent for a while. It was kind of like MAME, back when releases were more frequent and a lot of stuff hadn't been emulated yet. You would wait with bated breath for each drop, to see what goodies there would be.

I've been playing it for months, and I've certainly gotten my money's worth. I've gotten a lot less use from polished final releases that cost me $60.

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

*cough* Blizzard *cough* -nt- new [Re: GatKong]
#244073 - 01/21/11 02:57 AM

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Login server is back up. Log in and update <nt> quit the whinin and play ;) new [Re: DMala]
#244080 - 01/21/11 05:02 AM

> > I've added 20+MB to my save file, but have less than nothing to show for it.
>
> Exploring new territory has always been more crash-prone than staying in the same
> area, but it seems like the 1.2 beta is a lot less stable than previous versions. The
> thing where the player position is saved after a crash but the state of the world is
> not seems to be new as well. I lost a diamond pickax and sword in a stone wall that
> reappeared after a crash the other day.
>
> And a compass is an absolute necessity if you're traveling anywhere. The scenery is a
> little too homogeneous to be able to navigate any distance by landmarks and dead
> reckoning.

Not actually directed at anyone, have fun guys.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

We found the mines of Moria! new [Re: TriggerFin]
#244363 - 01/24/11 06:14 AM Attachment: 244363-2011-01-23_21.45.00.png 655 KB (0 downloads)

Dude, I dug from my bedroom straight down to bedrock... nothing.

So started again at bedroom and went horizontal... paydirt city in short order...

Found a massive (so far) endless cavern that, dig this... is connected to both Blackburns and my old underwater cavern (under my underwater glass diving platform), and I think to a part DMala was digging too... we saw a sign I think he made.

All three of our mines are actually one giant convoluted endless cavern!

Blackburn and I found 7 Diamond, gold, red stone, blue stuff all in one spot.. oh yeah.. then we both died going over a rapid waterflow that ended in lava complete with archer skeleton. Lost it all. I got back twice, once just had a fluff of wool to fight the skeleton with (hit a sheep coming fromthe spawn point), but he killed me again of course.

BUT there was tons more of gold in those walls... we just called it a night.

Check it out.

ALSO BEWARE: Some dude named Noah joined the server... who's that? How'd he get the server IP? Anywho, he politely left when I explained it wasn't a public server... who's to say he doesn't come back and rape (grief) tho :\

Attachment

Edited by Gatinho (01/24/11 06:30 AM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: We found the mines of Moria! new [Re: GatKong]
#244364 - 01/24/11 06:23 AM

Can you give me a short rundown on what you do in this game, the point etc. and why it's fun? Everyone seems to be having fun with it but when I watch the vids it looks like a mid 90's videogame abortion. The flying cow thing was funny for a few seconds but wasn't worth building the thing to do it with. I'm not sure it was worth watching the thing be built to do it with.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: We found the mines of Moria! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#244365 - 01/24/11 06:41 AM

OK, Minecraft is this:

A giant world in which the terrain is diggable... and you have nothing unless you manufacture it yourself. Each item you build allows you to use it to get other better items.

For excample, use hands to gather wood, to make a wooden pick, to mine iron ore and rock. Use rock to make an oven... find coal and then u can smelt the iron ore into iron... and make an iron pick... which can collect diamonds... which can make a diamond pick... which can collect obsidian.. which is the nearest to indestructible. If you die and loose it.. you got to start over... unless you can get to your stuff before it goes away... which deep in a mine is unlikely.

On the surface is safe only in the day.. at night bad things come out which can kill you. So at first your focused on survival and building a quick shelter.

Once you get decent shelter, then you can start exploring... unless a Creeper blows up your shelter and you are running scared again.

Basically I dig and dig until I hit something cool, a cavern usually. But deadly things spawn in the dark, so you have to keep lighting torches... and fighting creatures in the dark.

Yes, you can squander huge amounts of time developing useless things like birthday cakes and musical instruments... which are the vids you see.. but the best part is the adventure of digging for stuff to build better stuff to die in a cavern 10 miles below the surface of the earth. I actually sometimes actually jump in my chair and shout "Woah" when something leaps out of the darkness when I'm trying to see whats there.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

#244367 - 01/24/11 07:14 AM

Oh, and I almost for got to mention...
If you're really hell bent on ruining your eyesight... you can also play this game in 3-D, with the red/blue 3-D glasses.

I don't, but I could... I get scared enough as it is in 2D. You can hear them slurping in hunger in the dark.. the worst part is... from where... do you dare advance and lay down a torch to see what is there? Gold? Red Stone, or could it b WHAAA holy crap! A giant Spider! Pew Pew... oh no, my last arrow, I knew I should have stopped to make more... or at least cooked some bread to eat for health... or cake... cake is nice... everyone likes cake... oh yeah.... RUN! Oh no, wrong turn, and this cavern is getting dark... I'm trapped! It's dark, and the spider is eating me! MOMMY!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#244368 - 01/24/11 07:16 AM

> Found a massive (so far) endless cavern that, dig this... is connected to both
> Blackburns and my old underwater cavern (under my underwater glass diving platform),
> and I think to a part DMala was digging too... we saw a
sign I think he made.

What did the sign say, out of curiosity?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#244371 - 01/24/11 07:30 AM

> Can you give me a short rundown on what you do in this game, the point etc. and why
> it's fun? Everyone seems to be having fun with it but when I watch the vids it looks
> like a mid 90's videogame abortion. The flying cow thing was funny for a few seconds
> but wasn't worth building the thing to do it with. I'm not sure it was worth watching
> the thing be built to do it with.

It's not really a game, per se, in that there are no set goals, levels, points, or anything like that. The fun of it is to set your own goals. At first, it's just to survive. As Gatinho said, stuff that wants to kill you spawns in the dark. Once you've established a basic shelter, you can start to stretch out and set more creative goals. Build a house, build a castle, build a crazy contraption, explore the world, find and explore caves, hunt for gold or diamonds, whatever you can think of. Then you have to collect the materials and build tools to accomplish whatever it is you want to do.

The graphics are deliberately retro, but similar to games like Nethack, there is a complex and deep engine hidden under the simple graphics. Minecraft also supports third-party texture packs, which can be used to give the game a sharper look if you want.

It's not for everyone, but if you're the kind of person who get it, it can be very addictive.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: We found the mines of Moria! new [Re: DMala]
#244374 - 01/24/11 07:38 AM

Well it at least makes sense now with yalls explanations. I might give it a trial run but I don't think it's for me. I'm mostly a bullet hell / fighter / puzzle / platformer type gamer these days. And I'd play the shit out of another Tony Hawk if they go back to the gamepad recipe.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: We found the mines of Moria! new [Re: DMala]
#244376 - 01/24/11 07:41 AM

>What did the sign say, out of curiosity?

I don't remember... maybe it said "Safe Zone", I forgot. I remember when I came across the sign, I was with Blackburn, and he said it was your making... we were close to the surface, came out at a cave overlooking the water where Blackburn built his airborne base, and we could see your cabin off to the left across the water. You could get there in easy order by going in from that cave, though. We went back into the cavern and promptly got hopelessly lost for a long long time trying to find our way back to my base through the cavern.

I started doing this...

My paths are marked by torches set upon a pile of gravel. Double torches were supposed to mean dead-ends... until Blackburn was verifying a "dead-end" and we found our way into the diamond cavern we both died in... so now double torches means "this way to diamonds and sudden death." Seriously, lots of unexplored areas still to go, but if you find a double torch.. you are close to a serious load. There are a few unexplored areas I blocked off two stacks high with gravel so we wouldn't get snuck up on from behind by a mob... so if you see two-stack gravel, that's an unexplored part of the cavern.

Who knew we all built our bases right on top of probably the best cavern system in the whole map?

My only saving grace in that death is this... after digging and striking the cavern, I stopped to build a chest to put my valuables into before going into the cavern. I speluk only with a sword, bow, arrows, torches and armor. While I lost a full suit of iron armor (24 iron worth), along with the recently collected diamonds and other gems, at least I didn't loose my main mining equipment (diamond pick, clock, compass, etc).

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#244412 - 01/24/11 12:55 PM

Caves there are. After I ran that staircase to bedrock without hitting one, I found that zombie dungeon on the other side of some gravel. The dungeon itself is useless (unless you have a use for the stacks of feathers it now produces), but the far side back corner has a hole in it that opens on a cave. More cave found above the stairs, might connect. Next time maybe.

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

So then... new [Re: GatKong]
#244421 - 01/24/11 05:18 PM

Hey, thanks for the explanation!

So are you saying there's no iron-clad way to save hours and days and weeks of sandbox work?... That would piss me off much more than having to, say, start Mass Effect 2 over from scratch without a prior ME1 character or ME2 play-through...

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: So then... new [Re: Mojo2000]
#244431 - 01/24/11 05:50 PM

>So are you saying there's no iron-clad way to save hours and days and weeks of sandbox work?...

EDIT

Well, the terrain is perstistant, so good or bad, what gets done stays on the server.

/edit

But as for your person.... No iron-clad way... but with a good design you can be near to iron-clad. Lot's of light around your base, because things spawn in the dark. Fences to keep out those that do spawn... some overhang to the fence to keep spiders from crawling over... that pretty much would protect your base.

Now, if you open the door and step out with a creeper right there, and you let him in and he blows up, destroying part of your base... well... you let him in.

Then, you can plant a farm to grow wheat and suger cane to make bread and cake to heal health, and pen in cows for milk and leather, ducks for eggs, sheep for wool, pigs for pork chops... now you're starting to live pretty comfortably. But comfort gets you only so far... eventually you need to risk the dark to explore new areas... if you die, you'll loose what you carry. So is life in the mine.

Edited by Gatinho (01/24/11 05:57 PM)

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: So then... new [Re: Mojo2000]
#244594 - 01/25/11 10:42 PM

There are still glitches that can corrupt a world's worth of work.

When I build too much stuff in single player, the world gets to be too safe and I move on to a new one anyway. I've only had the world get broken once. Then I started doing backups of them.

There are also glitches that can reset individual 16x16 chunks of the world, sometimes causing them to be different from the original seeded random area. In theory, the same seed always produces the same result, but glitches and the evolving nature of the world-generation routines produce some occasionally chaotic results, as seen in episodes 15-21 of
the "let's play" at: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrRycraft#p/u/9/Mf9N81D_ElY

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 295 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3963