MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Fire place inserts are for crap.
#243335 - 01/10/11 09:37 PM

Quote:

The catalytic 44 Elite ZC wood fireplace is perhaps the finest fireplace ever created. It features EPA approval and Posi-Pressure heating through a quiet, remotely located 388 CFM fan which circulates the heat throughout the home.

What a crock of BS. The house we bought has this exact model in it, and I can burn a fire in that thing all day long, and you wouldn't even notice if you didn't look at it and SEE fire. The fan does blow heat, but not near enough to warm a room. I still need to run the central furnace. You can't even stand in front of it and feel radiated heat... somehow this thing keeps all that heat inside too.

Quote:

See, hear and smell firewood burning and crackling through huge glass doors that stay clean and clear.

More BS. The glass gets coated with a residue that doesn't wash off, they are near opaque now. I can use steel wool to clean it off, which is hardly "stay clean and clear".

I'm looking into having this piece of scrap pulled out and replaced with a Franklin Stove. Now THOSE crank out some frickin' heat.

I imagine the original owner put this piece of shit put in the house because he got a $1500 tax credit because it's supposedly so efficient... efficient at burning up all your wood. Typical government pandering to industry. My little 1930's wood stove I snagged off craigslist for a song keeps my giant uninsulated workshop comfortable with just a few logs, but qualifies for squat because it's cheap and recycled and no industry profits off its use... er, I mean "inefficient and deleterious to the environment".

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Fire place inserts are for crap. new [Re: GatKong]
#243381 - 01/11/11 08:06 AM

> My little 1930's wood stove I
> snagged off craigslist for a song keeps my giant uninsulated workshop comfortable
> with just a few logs, but qualifies for squat because it's cheap and recycled and no
> industry profits off its use... er, I mean "inefficient and deleterious to the
> environment".

Did you ever figure out what that one part was for?

LEVEL-4

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#243389 - 01/11/11 12:19 PM

Every day i hear you (plural) complaining about heating/flood issues, i welcome living in a place clime is not extreme, i don't waste wood because my concrete house protects and climates perfectly fine into the environment without spending in higher costs. I don't have to worry about every two houses owning firearms so any weirdo snaps out one day and shoot me because he got up from the wrong side of the bed. Food is cheap (you can eat a full meal for less than $10 USD) and doctors and dentists are really cheap.

Sure, our technology is not so advanced, education is terrible, jobs ask too much (but pay less) and our medical progress aren't modern enough (it took a fair amount of time for dentists to replace using amalgams by resins for example), but even with the current crime rate we live in peace.

Seriously, immigrants complex its own existence by moving in places they think everything is better. Not realizing everything they work and pay in another country, they could as well do it here with some effort and less risk. You don't magically stop being poor by only living in another place (let alone undocumented and out of support by familiars).

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: Fire place inserts are for crap. new [Re: BIOS-D]
#243407 - 01/11/11 05:29 PM

Bios-D, I assume you're from Mexico?

Loved the Mayan Ruins, btw.

But yeah... my wife is from South America... and her family can't get over how "we" (the US) build our houses out of timber. I keep getting these questions...

1. Doesn't it burn? Yes it does, so we carry fire insurance.

2. Don't bugs eat the wood? Yes, they do, so we carry termite bonds.

3. Doesn't the wind knock them down? Yes it does, so we carry home owners insurance.

4. Wouldn't a flood ruin the home? Yes, they do, so we carry flood insurance.

5. How is it that a "1st World" country hasn't learned from the "Three Little Pigs." If we spent just a bit more in construction, we could save on all those insurances, which would eventually pay for the increased construction cost.

I know, right? They build all their homes out of concrete and rebar. They'll last literally forever, don't burn, get eaten, don't ruin when wet, and can withstand hurricanes and earthquakes. They are SO behind the times.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#243420 - 01/11/11 07:23 PM

> I know, right? They build all their homes out of concrete and rebar. They'll last
> literally forever, don't burn, get eaten, don't ruin when wet, and can withstand
> hurricanes and earthquakes. They are SO behind the times.

It seems like around here, most concrete buildings need extensive renovation after about 30 years or so. Maybe the colder climate is harder on them?

On the other hand, I live in a wooden house that is 110 years old. The 110-year-old parts are rock solid, all of the problems I have are from the mickey mouse renovations done by a bozo house flipper. There are literally dozens of houses in the area that are 100+ years old and a fair number that are more like 200+.

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

#243433 - 01/11/11 10:24 PM

> The catalytic 44 Elite ZC wood fireplace is perhaps the finest fireplace ever
> created. It features EPA approval and Posi-Pressure heating through a quiet, remotely
> located 388 CFM fan which circulates the heat throughout the home.

The only other thing missing from the sales pitch is that it was made by the Amish.

Kevin Eshbach

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Fire place inserts are for crap. new [Re: keshbach1]
#243446 - 01/12/11 01:55 AM

> > The catalytic 44 Elite ZC wood fireplace is perhaps the finest fireplace ever
> > created. It features EPA approval and Posi-Pressure heating through a quiet,
> remotely
> > located 388 CFM fan which circulates the heat throughout the home.
>
> The only other thing missing from the sales pitch is that it was made by the Amish.
>
>
> Kevin Eshbach

LOL. Thing about that "Amish" ad, they only made the wooden box that the heater sits in, not the electronicalish heater itself.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#243462 - 01/12/11 06:53 AM

> Bios-D, I assume you're from Mexico?
>
> Loved the Mayan Ruins, btw.
>
> But yeah... my wife is from South America... and her family can't get over how "we"
> (the US) build our houses out of timber. I keep getting these questions...
>
> 1. Doesn't it burn? Yes it does, so we carry fire insurance.
>
> 2. Don't bugs eat the wood? Yes, they do, so we carry termite bonds.
>
> 3. Doesn't the wind knock them down? Yes it does, so we carry home owners insurance.
>
> 4. Wouldn't a flood ruin the home? Yes, they do, so we carry flood insurance.
>
> 5. How is it that a "1st World" country hasn't learned from the "Three Little Pigs."
> If we spent just a bit more in construction, we could save on all those insurances,
> which would eventually pay for the increased construction cost.
>
> I know, right? They build all their homes out of concrete and rebar. They'll last
> literally forever, don't burn, get eaten, don't ruin when wet, and can withstand
> hurricanes and earthquakes. They are SO behind the times.

Well, there's another reason we live in what an American would call a rock cage. If our houses were from wood, any smart guy would probably grab a sledgehammer, make a hole in the backyard wall (or simply break a window) and take everything he could when we aren't at home. Concrete, brick, metal framed windows reinforced with bars and a good metal door makes at least hard for anyone without permission to get in.

I can't deny houses in USA have a nice touch in design and construction costs, but living in a country civilians are not allowed to own firearms (save you buy them illegally and hide them), the best we can do is to secure ourselves in as best as possible. That and pretend we afford less than we currently own to avoid bringing unwanted attention.

And yes, i'm talking about Mexico.

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

Re: Fire place inserts are for crap. new [Re: DMala]
#243527 - 01/12/11 10:37 PM

> On the other hand, I live in a wooden house that is 110 years old. The 110-year-old
> parts are rock solid, all of the problems I have are from the mickey mouse
> renovations done by a bozo house flipper. There are literally dozens of houses in the
> area that are 100+ years old and a fair number that are more like 200+.

My home is 50+ years old and made of good ol' brick though I have most of my problems from things being 50+ years old and worn out. Only a few problems are from the previous flipper who thought I was just some dumb sucker (along with his agent) until settlement time.

Kevin Eshbach

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 283 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1319