MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Requirements for inclusion into MAME
#243331 - 01/10/11 08:27 PM

Just bored and curious... it happens when copying data from a corrupted partition.

What's the requirements for games to be included in mame anyhow? I know that they have to be released and have been used in Arcades but there seems to be more than that to me because otherwise wouldn't the various DDR Bootleg discs be in MAME?

Again, bored and curious..

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Lando242
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/06
Send PM

Re: Requirements for inclusion into MAME new [Re: Naoki]
#243334 - 01/10/11 09:36 PM

Bootlegs also have to be noticeably different from the official release. Just changing a copyright notice or manufactures name wont cut it. So, thats another requirement.

Lando242

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Requirements for inclusion into MAME new [Re: Lando242]
#243336 - 01/10/11 10:06 PM

> Bootlegs also have to be noticeably different from the official release. Just
> changing a copyright notice or manufactures name wont cut it. So, thats another
> requirement.
>
> Lando242

This is actually an outdated view.

There are, in my opinion (not official), current qualification points for a game when considering addition into MAME:

- ROMs on original PCB and are sourced from that PCB or an upgrade kit which uses that original PCB without modification. Even minor graphic changes in bootlegs put out by virtually unknown entities in the day are worth documenting. More often than you'd think - the bootleg is easier to obtain than the real deal and documentation of this assists the actual board owners in repairs.

- Actual cabinets with the game inside having been available for the public consumption on actual PCB using original hardware (not a computer+cabinet). One I can think of right off is the Donkey Kong II game, which is on location for play at FunSpot in Laconia, NH. It might have been 'modern day' hack, but this gave it a lot of extra credibility.

- Were developed outside of a graphics editor (Turaco, etc). Many games which fill up MisfitMAME are a testament to the amount of hacks that have been made over a long period of time due to use of these "utilities". They will likely never been added as documentation.

- Arcade-sourced game. This view has widened greatly. It used to be strictly video arcade games, then other games started being accepted in source (such as gambling, ticket machine, skill games). More recent development has started importing pinball/bowler/redemption games (from PinMAME) for proper documentation and emulation.

- Game accepts currency and has a CPU which can be emulated regardless if it has a video screen or not, this makes it worthy for documentation in the project. This is likely to expand later to cover discrete games as emulation of discrete circuitry improves and widens.

I'm sure there are other points, but those are what is coming to mind.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Requirements for inclusion into MAME new [Re: Naoki]
#243364 - 01/11/11 02:55 AM

> Just bored and curious... it happens when copying data from a corrupted partition.
>
> What's the requirements for games to be included in mame anyhow? I know that they
> have to be released and have been used in Arcades but there seems to be more than
> that to me because otherwise wouldn't the various DDR Bootleg discs be in MAME?
>
> Again, bored and curious..

In the way i see it, basically is anything available from arcades in hardware as long as it doesn't involve complex mechanisms as outputs (different to a logic/digital output as screens or LEDs, like slot roulettes or pachinko mechanisms), it doesn't involve patents which could lead to legal trouble (MPEG2 decoding in hardware) and it won't bring attention from lazy companies selling the very same games for more than 5 years... good thing SNK Playmore is a lazy company who doesn't care anymore.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Requirements for inclusion into MAME new [Re: Tafoid]
#243367 - 01/11/11 05:29 AM

> - ROMs on original PCB and are sourced from that PCB or an upgrade kit which uses
> that original PCB without modification.

Yeah, graphic and text hacks *are* accepted now if they were legit bootlegs.

> - Actual cabinets with the game inside having been available for the public
> consumption on actual PCB using original hardware (not a computer+cabinet). One I can
> think of right off is the Donkey Kong II game, which is on location for play at
> FunSpot in Laconia, NH. It might have been 'modern day' hack, but this gave it a lot
> of extra credibility.

This one I'd exclude - to my mind, it's still just a homebrew hack, and the legal situation with it is interesting to say the least. Funspot putting it out reduced their credibility in my eyes, it didn't increase the game's. That said, Aaron OKed it subject to the 3-year rule so it's not my call.

> - Were developed outside of a graphics editor (Turaco, etc).

'Nuff said here.

> - Arcade-sourced game. This view has widened greatly. It used to be strictly video
> arcade games, then other games started being accepted in source (such as gambling,
> ticket machine, skill games).

...which reflects the increasing internationalization of MAME. Gambling games are kind of a weird subject in Italy where MAME originated, but not so much elsewhere.

> - Game accepts currency and has a CPU which can be emulated regardless if it has a
> video screen or not, this makes it worthy for documentation in the project.

The video screen requirement is basically dead, which follows the lead of MESS.

starrider
MAME PUNK
Reged: 12/09/10
Send PM

Re: Requirements for inclusion into MAME new [Re: R. Belmont]
#243371 - 01/11/11 06:19 AM

> Yeah, graphic and text hacks *are* accepted now if they were legit bootlegs.

I've often wondered why "Golden Castle" has not been re-accepted???

It seems to me that it was just the Eng. version of the game before TAITO made them censor it.

Then it became Gladiator

Or am I wrong?

ranger_lennier
Reged: 04/07/05
Send PM

Re: Requirements for inclusion into MAME new [Re: Tafoid]
#243459 - 01/12/11 05:22 AM

> - Actual cabinets with the game inside having been available for the public
> consumption

Or prototypes which were being developed as such, but never actually released.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 391 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2379