MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Hey Italie..
#243062 - 01/08/11 09:11 AM Attachment: IMG_0136-.jpg 339 KB (0 downloads)

I am thinking of adding an AUX input to my factory stereo in my car so I can play my MP3 player through it. It is an AM/FM/CD Player. My thought is to put a 3.5mm jack on the front panel (plenty of room) and tap into the line from the CD mechanism (I have already identified L/R and audio ground). I would then play a CD recorded with an 80 minute silent track so that the source would switch to the line I'm tapped into. I guess I would use one of those jacks that break the connection when you plug it in.

Do you see ant reason it wouldn't work?

Here's a picture of the line I'm planning on tapping into..

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

DrLarryE
Lurker
Reged: 01/06/08
Send PM

Re: Hey Italie.. new [Re: redk9258]
#243080 - 01/08/11 04:00 PM

An FM modulator would be easier (but would remove the do it yourself challenge.) FM transmitters suck but a modulator hooks right into the antenna line so it works much better than a transmitter. I tried numerous transmitters until I read about modulators and mine works great!

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Hey Italie.. new [Re: redk9258]
#243081 - 01/08/11 04:01 PM

> I am thinking of adding an AUX input to my factory stereo in my car so I can play my
> MP3 player through it. It is an AM/FM/CD Player. My thought is to put a 3.5mm jack on
> the front panel (plenty of room) and tap into the line from the CD mechanism (I have
> already identified L/R and audio ground). I would then play a CD recorded with an 80
> minute silent track so that the source would switch to the line I'm tapped into. I
> guess I would use one of those jacks that break the connection when you plug it in.
>
> Do you see ant reason it wouldn't work?
>
> Here's a picture of the line I'm planning on tapping into..

Not Knowing the brand or having a schematic....beats me. I opened up a Sony head unit once, and promptly closed it back up. Hell inside those things.

If you can find a left or right analog signal in that loom you still may have signal level issues. You might want to think about hooking wires directly to the pre-amp circuitry instead. I've done this on larger scale amplifiers, but there was additional signal switching circuitry involved.

I'd probably just get a new head unit though, chances of frying this one at some point are rather high. I can understand the whole "wanting to keep it stock", but these ease of swapping out with a newer "stock" unit, or a nice after market just can't be beat.

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Send PM

Re: Hey Italie.. new [Re: italie]
#243093 - 01/08/11 06:07 PM

>
> If you can find a left or right analog signal in that loom you still may have signal
> level issues. You might want to think about hooking wires directly to the pre-amp
> circuitry instead. I've done this on larger scale amplifiers, but there was
> additional signal switching circuitry involved.
>

Plus, tying two outputs (CD & AUX) together into one input will probably throw the impedance off.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: Hey Italie.. new [Re: italie]
#243095 - 01/08/11 06:28 PM

Yeah, as you can see in the picture, I don't think I stand a chance to find another input. All of the chips are covered in glue so I don't think I'll be screwing with that. I think I'll wait until it's a little warmer out and temporarily tap into that line from the CD mechanism to see if my MP3 player has enough output to drive that. Maybe I'll create a CD with a test tone and measure the voltage at that point and compare it to the output on my MP3 player (I can put it in line out mode as opposed to headphone output). While I'm at it, I'll verify the channels are marked correctly. I find it odd they used white for the right channel. White is usually left.

By the way, I had my instrument cluster out last night to replace some burned out bulbs (soldered to the PCB). I was three screws away from peeking in there so that's why I pulled the radio to peek inside. I wish I would have taken more pictures now.

Thanks for listening.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: Hey Italie.. new [Re: DrLarryE]
#243096 - 01/08/11 06:41 PM

I bought a cheap MP3 player that plays files from a USB drive a few years ago so we could have something to listen to while driving where there are no stations. It broadcasts on FM. It worked OK in the middle of Kansas, but sucks around any city. What kind of modulator do you have? Does it sound like FM? I'd rather just be able to plug into the from of the radio for about $5 worth of parts.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: Hey Italie.. new [Re: PokeMAME]
#243098 - 01/08/11 06:50 PM

> Plus, tying two outputs (CD & AUX) together into one input will probably throw the
> impedance off.

That's why I will use a jack that breaks the audio connection to the CD mechanism. My MP3 player can be put into line out mode through the 30 pin connector. I already made a cable and it works great in my wife's car that has a real AUX input. It also works pretty good connecting to AUX in on my house receiver.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 252 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1145