MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DrLarryE
Lurker
Reged: 01/06/08
Send PM

Very Basic Emulation Question
#242839 - 01/06/11 01:44 PM

I use Mame .131 and all the games I want to play work, so this is basically a curiosity question. Mamedev people stress that the purpose of Mame is preservation of the original workings of the games and that playability is a secondary benefit. Are there ways to write the programs that would make more game playable? (If so, I don't care what they are, just is it possible)

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

no [nt] new [Re: DrLarryE]
#242842 - 01/06/11 02:39 PM

> I use Mame .131 and all the games I want to play work, so this is basically a
> curiosity question. Mamedev people stress that the purpose of Mame is preservation of
> the original workings of the games and that playability is a secondary benefit. Are
> there ways to write the programs that would make more game playable? (If so, I don't
> care what they are, just is it possible)

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

bdam
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/13/07
Send PM

Re: Very Basic Emulation Question new [Re: DrLarryE]
#242844 - 01/06/11 03:07 PM

Sure, and there are a plethora of non-MAME emulators that do just that.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#242853 - 01/06/11 05:15 PM

> Are
> there ways to write the programs that would make more game playable?

I'm not sure if you meant "make the games more playable" or "make more games playable"?

If the former, once MAME has done its job (emulating/documenting a game and the hardware it runs on), making the game more playable is up to the user.

If the latter, making more games playable is a result of progress and that happens with almost every release of MAME.

S

DrLarryE
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Very Basic Emulation Question new [Re: Sune]
#242965 - 01/07/11 06:51 AM

I was mostly thinking of issues where current machines are not able to run games at speed, but everything else runs properly (ie...all the hardware is figured out already and all the ROM's/HD's are properly dumped already)

It is interesting to note that the 2 other answers disagree 100%...One says it happens all the time and one says no.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#242968 - 01/07/11 07:13 AM

> I was mostly thinking of issues where current machines are not able to run games at
> speed, but everything else runs properly (ie...all the hardware is figured out
> already and all the ROM's/HD's are properly dumped already)
>
> It is interesting to note that the 2 other answers disagree 100%...One says it
> happens all the time and one says no.

The answers are all correct. "Speed" and "Correct emulation" are not necessarily tied together. MAME targets getting emulation 100% accurate from a code execution standpoint. Improving driver accuracy can actually slow a game down from a playability standpoint.

MAME source won't ever be modified for an increase in playability if it doesn't reflect an improvement in driver accuracy. Other emulators may use hacks to improve playability, which won't happen here.

DrLarryE
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Very Basic Emulation Question new [Re: italie]
#243078 - 01/08/11 03:49 PM

I understand that much, which is why I never mentioned correct emulation because that is what Mamedevs try to do. So I'll assume there is no way to more correctly emulate the games, (or if there is it will end up in Mame eventually) but there may be ways to make some games run better on current hardware. (We have reached the depth of my knowledge of how Mame works.)

My thanks to the Mamedevs for allowing me to play my games, and thanks for answering questions for the Mame uneducated.

Edited by DrLarryE (01/08/11 03:50 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Very Basic Emulation Question new [Re: italie]
#243082 - 01/08/11 04:08 PM

> MAME source won't ever be modified for an increase in playability if it doesn't
> reflect an improvement in driver accuracy. Other emulators may use hacks to improve
> playability, which won't happen here.

That's not *quite* right either - we'll accept changes that make the driver execute faster if there is no effect either way on accuracy. The sorts of things done by other emulators to speed up games can compromise the correctness of the gameplay/physics/graphics/audio/etc. I'm not saying they all do, but There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch applies equally to emulation

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Very Basic Emulation Question new [Re: R. Belmont]
#243102 - 01/08/11 07:28 PM

> > MAME source won't ever be modified for an increase in playability if it doesn't
> > reflect an improvement in driver accuracy. Other emulators may use hacks to improve
> > playability, which won't happen here.
>
> That's not *quite* right either - we'll accept changes that make the driver execute
> faster if there is no effect either way on accuracy. The sorts of things done by
> other emulators to speed up games can compromise the correctness of the
> gameplay/physics/graphics/audio/etc. I'm not saying they all do, but There Ain't No
> Such Thing As A Free Lunch applies equally to emulation

Put a > where I needed a >=. Typical for my code.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 244 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2292